POA

Getting Divorce Acknowledged in the Philippines

20 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, POA said:

Those are good points. Right now, I don't have plans to marry, nor have any prospects, but i think he does, so I might just wait out. So he is a USC, would this apply to him too? Would he need to file the recognition if he tries to marry another person in the Philippines?

I was married to a Filipina in the US, and we got divorced in the US. I have since married a Filipina in the Philippines and all I had to do is submit copies of the divorce papers with the marriage license application. Acknowledgement was never an issue.

2 minutes ago, Dave Knapp said:

I was married to a Filipina in the US, and we got divorced in the US. I have since married a Filipina in the Philippines and all I had to do is submit copies of the divorce papers with the marriage license application. Acknowledgement was never an issue.

Did you report your first marriage at the Philippine Embassy? We got married in the Philippines. 

Although,  update, my husband and I are back together. :)

11 minutes ago, POA said:

Did you report your first marriage at the Philippine Embassy? We got married in the Philippines. 

Yes.  Filed at the Embassy in DC.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, POA said:

Oh, yeah! Congrats! 

On 11/21/2021 at 1:50 AM, LKMK said:

It's not an easy process to get a Recognition of Foreign Divorce in the Philippines. My wife was divorced prior to us getting married. Long story short, we are still working on it and its been well over 5 years. Granted, the Recognition was formally recognized by the court system in the Philippines, however, before all of the paper work was transferred to PSA, her attorney was assassinated. So we had to hire another attorney to request the correct paperwork from Cebu and hopefully we will finally get all the documentation finished. Long story short, its a pain in the butt, takes long time, and has cost a few thousand dollars so far.  I've posted my experience through a different thread, so maybe you can gain some insight through those posts. Ill let you know when we are all finished, but wishing you the best and a speedy process.  Best advice I can give you is get a "Red Ribbon" on your US documents before sending them to the Philippines Regional Trial Court. To do this it has to be authenticated my the State's Department of State, then sent to the Philippine Embassy of jurisdiction and once received then it can be sent to the Philippines. In our case we had to obtain a copy of the Law of the State of New York, and have a Red Ribbon applied to that. That was a fun process as the New York Department of State couldn't authenticate the documents because they didn't have the signatures of the Senate and House on record. So I had to have an attorney write a letter of attestation stating the law was accurate, etc. and have the Red Ribbon applied. The moral to the story is, be ready for all of the hoops you have to jump through because the Philippines does not recognize divorce and will milk you for all you have.  Again, good luck and I wish you the best!

There is no more "Red Ribbon" for documents as of May 14, 2019, when the Philippines joined the Hague convention. Now, your U.S. document must be presented to the US Dept of State for Authentication. There are private firms that do this.  I have used Monument Visa for mine. Just google them.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.