ziggy406

Civil wedding

6 posts in this topic

Check with the LCR (Local Community Registrar).  They will talk you through all the requirements.  The requirements vary slightly by area.  We married in Manila so I can tell you what we had to do.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

7 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Check with the LCR (Local Community Registrar).  They will talk you through all the requirements.  The requirements vary slightly by area.  We married in Manila so I can tell you what we had to do.

yes please do...thank you...would be more than happy to give you my email...much appreciated

Edited by ziggy406

1 minute ago, ziggy406 said:

yes please do...thank you...would be more than happy to give you my email...much appreciated

I don’t mind doing it here as it may help others too. You can PM me if you have more personal questions. 

As a disclaimer, we married in 2018 and things have changed a little. I will point out what has changed that I know of.  

First step for us was to get the Affidavit in Lieu of the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. This is a requirement in the Philippines and since the US doesn’t have a National database of births, deaths and marriages, I had to go to the Embassy and swear under oath that I was legally free to marry. I needed my divorce certificate from the previous marriage and presented that to the Notary Public at the Embassy.  They have the form to fill out and you can find it with Google too. Then we met with the LCR. I needed a CENOMAR, my original birth certificate (copy not accepted) and the affidavit. My wife needed her CENOMAR and all annulment documents. We were able to get out of the required 6 hour “Family Plannimg Seminar” because we both have teenagers and had no plans to have another child. We were able to get out of this seminar by politely asking, having a family friend with us who knew the LCR and some snacks for the office!

We applied for the license and I remember running to get copies of the paperwork at a conveniently located computer shop. Once they accepted the application we started the 10 working day required for them to announce the marriage in local papers in case someone wants to comment. They tell you when to go back and pick up the license. At that point you have 120 days to marry. We were married by the local mayor in his office.  Make sure to ask the LCR to expedite the PSA certificate.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

12 hours ago, John & Rose said:

I don’t mind doing it here as it may help others too. You can PM me if you have more personal questions. 

As a disclaimer, we married in 2018 and things have changed a little. I will point out what has changed that I know of.  

First step for us was to get the Affidavit in Lieu of the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. This is a requirement in the Philippines and since the US doesn’t have a National database of births, deaths and marriages, I had to go to the Embassy and swear under oath that I was legally free to marry. I needed my divorce certificate from the previous marriage and presented that to the Notary Public at the Embassy.  They have the form to fill out and you can find it with Google too. Then we met with the LCR. I needed a CENOMAR, my original birth certificate (copy not accepted) and the affidavit. My wife needed her CENOMAR and all annulment documents. We were able to get out of the required 6 hour “Family Plannimg Seminar” because we both have teenagers and had no plans to have another child. We were able to get out of this seminar by politely asking, having a family friend with us who knew the LCR and some snacks for the office!

We applied for the license and I remember running to get copies of the paperwork at a conveniently located computer shop. Once they accepted the application we started the 10 working day required for them to announce the marriage in local papers in case someone wants to comment. They tell you when to go back and pick up the license. At that point you have 120 days to marry. We were married by the local mayor in his office.  Make sure to ask the LCR to expedite the PSA certificate.  

This was pretty much my experience too. At the Embassy they didn't even ask for my divorce decree when I got the affidavit. We also had a friend with us that knew everyone at the LCR so it was pretty simple. Our family planning/marriage counseling session consisted of us going in a room and just talking story with her friends. It was less than an hour. I did not need CENOMAR. We were married by a judge in the courtroom.

Most definitely get all the info from the LCR where you will get married as nothing is consistent in the Philippines and most importantly ASK FOR PSA EXPEDITE. They will usually do it for a fee.

Each place is different some areas require the foreign national to get a copy of their CENOMAR. Took 10 days to get our license, the marriage counseling was a room full of couples and going through things from having a baby to finances and everyday married life.  Apparently this office has had foreign nationals throw fits they have to wait 10 days and attend the marriage counseling. I got compliments for not being negative or combative with any of the process, it sounds like some expats are just mad at the world.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.