MushyPea

When to change my name?

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My visa is approved and I plan to fly to the US just before Christmas. I am entering with CR1 but plan to point out that it is the day after my 2nd wedding anniversary when I arrive at in the hopes they auto change to IR1.

Now to the point: so far during the whole process I have not changed from my maiden name to my married name (double barrelled). The reason is because to me it was either both of us or neither of us. Well now my husband is up for it so we’ll do it :)

My question is WHEN should I do this? I can’t do it before I get there, as need to travel on current passport (maiden name) with visa in. I’m assuming I can’t do it once I’ve arrived because then my passport won’t match my GC (and I don’t want to pay $400+ for a new GC). So do I need to wait until I start the citizenship process in 3 years time? Does it matter if my GC is my maiden name in terms of getting work etc? 

Any help on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance for this wonderful community!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Under you circumstances, I think I would probably wait.  At some point, there are going to have to be changes made since the Green Card will be in your maiden name.

A Rose by any other name, is just as sweet.  My wife never changed her name.  It has made several things so much smoother.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

4 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Under you circumstances, I think I would probably wait.  At some point, there are going to have to be changes made since the Green Card will be in your maiden name.

A Rose by any other name, is just as sweet.  My wife never changed her name.  It has made several things so much smoother.

Thank you 🙏🏼 

I thought as much 🤔 
Just a shame as I quite liked the idea after he brought it up again. I may still use it for unofficial things. 

On 11/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, MushyPea said:

I am entering with CR1 but plan to point out that it is the day after my 2nd wedding anniversary when I arrive at in the hopes they auto change to IR1.

If you enter with your visa after your 2nd wedding anniversary, you will be admitted as IR1.  Volunteer the information about your wedding date to the inspecting CBP officer at POE, to ensure they don't overlook it.  But even if CBP or USCIS make a mistake and you receive a 2-year GC, you may file an I-90 for free (due to DHS error) to replace your GC with a 10-year one.

On 11/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, MushyPea said:

I have not changed from my maiden name to my married name

I'm in a similar situation.  In my case though, I simply changed my mind about using my married name in the middle of my visa process.  Unfortunately, it was too late by then for me to get a new passport in my married name.  I've learned since then that the best time to change my name was before my visa interview 😢  From my research --

Your legal name in the US, as far as SSA and DHS are concerned, is the name on your GC or on your legal name change document that was issued after your GC.  Which means you cannot use your marriage certificate for applying for name change on your SSN card or your GC.  If you are not able to change your name on either of these two documents, you will likely not be able to use your married name for any other federal or state government-issued document, like driver's license.

So you have two options to be able to change your name in the US -- request for name change as part of your naturalization, or file a petition for name change with the state court that has jurisdiction over your US residence.  You may then use your certificate of name change or your name change court order to apply for name change with SSA.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, Chancy said:

If you enter with your visa after your 2nd wedding anniversary, you will be admitted as IR1.  Volunteer the information about your wedding date to the inspecting CBP officer at POE, to ensure they don't overlook it.  But even if CBP or USCIS make a mistake and you receive a 2-year GC, you may file an I-90 for free (due to DHS error) to replace your GC with a 10-year one.

I'm in a similar situation.  In my case though, I simply changed my mind about using my married name in the middle of my visa process.  Unfortunately, it was too late by then for me to get a new passport in my married name.  I've learned since then that the best time to change my name was before my visa interview 😢  From my research --

Your legal name in the US, as far as SSA and DHS are concerned, is the name on your GC or on your legal name change document that was issued after your GC.  Which means you cannot use your marriage certificate for applying for name change on your SSN card or your GC.  If you are not able to change your name on either of these two documents, you will likely not be able to use your married name for any other federal or state government-issued document, like driver's license.

So you have two options to be able to change your name in the US -- request for name change as part of your naturalization, or file a petition for name change with the state court that has jurisdiction over your US residence.  You may then use your certificate of name change or your name change court order to apply for name change with SSA.

Thank you so much - very helpful 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.