Rils

Job opportunities for Taiwanese immigrant

7 posts in this topic

I am an American citizen and my wife is Taiwanese. We will be immigrating to the US next year and we are trying to explore some different job possibilities for her. We are in the process of getting the CR1 so she will have a green card upon arrival. She has a bachelor's degree in Business Management from a Taiwanese University and her work experience has been mostly Assistant and Reception jobs at International Corporations in Taiwan.  However, she is not incredibly interested in staying with that career path. Her English language ability in speaking and writing is high intermediate. Her Speaking level is especially good. Also a native Mandarin speaker. 
We are wondering what kind of jobs immigrants in her position are able to find. Will it be very difficult to find jobs that are not labor or service industry jobs?
She has interest in possibly doing something related to social media marketing, life enrichment/event coordination for elderly homes or health and wellness related jobs. Anything specifically related to Chinese and English language ability would be another option too. She has taken courses on teaching Mandarin to foreigners in Taiwan in the past.
Going back to school for a new degree would be a massive decision we're not sure about yet, but if there were jobs or opportunities that required shorter courses or certifications that would be very doable for us.
If anyone has a similar experience or ideas to help us get started in finding good possibilities we'd be really appreciative. Thanks so much!

7 minutes ago, Rils said:

I am an American citizen and my wife is Taiwanese. We will be immigrating to the US next year and we are trying to explore some different job possibilities for her. We are in the process of getting the CR1 so she will have a green card upon arrival. She has a bachelor's degree in Business Management from a Taiwanese University and her work experience has been mostly Assistant and Reception jobs at International Corporations in Taiwan.  However, she is not incredibly interested in staying with that career path. Her English language ability in speaking and writing is high intermediate. Her Speaking level is especially good. Also a native Mandarin speaker. 
We are wondering what kind of jobs immigrants in her position are able to find. Will it be very difficult to find jobs that are not labor or service industry jobs?
She has interest in possibly doing something related to social media marketing, life enrichment/event coordination for elderly homes or health and wellness related jobs. Anything specifically related to Chinese and English language ability would be another option too. She has taken courses on teaching Mandarin to foreigners in Taiwan in the past.
Going back to school for a new degree would be a massive decision we're not sure about yet, but if there were jobs or opportunities that required shorter courses or certifications that would be very doable for us.
If anyone has a similar experience or ideas to help us get started in finding good possibilities we'd be really appreciative. Thanks so much!

Is her English language skill high enough to be a language interpreter?  I work in a hospital, and  interpreters are frequently used in outpatient oncology.  Once an interpreter has been arranged for a patient, they tend to have one for all subsequent visits.  Depending on where you plan to live, the need for Mandarin interpreters could be quite high.

7 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Is her English language skill high enough to be a language interpreter?  I work in a hospital, and  interpreters are frequently used in outpatient oncology.  Once an interpreter has been arranged for a patient, they tend to have one for all subsequent visits.  Depending on where you plan to live, the need for Mandarin interpreters could be quite high.

I would say it is quite good but definitely not a native level. But I am not entirely sure what level is needed... Her TOEIC score was 900 in 2017. I think her conversational and listening ability is very good, but medical vocabulary would be missing. Are there any sort of certifications needed for this type of work? Does it tend to be more part-time work or like a salaried position?

Thanks so much for your response!

Edited by Rils

7 hours ago, Rils said:

I would say it is quite good but definitely not a native level. But I am not entirely sure what level is needed... Her TOEIC score was 900 in 2017. I think her conversational and listening ability is very good, but medical vocabulary would be missing. Are there any sort of certifications needed for this type of work? Does it tend to be more part-time work or like a salaried position?

Thanks so much for your response!

It’s hourly, but as an RN, there are interpreters I know by name because they are on our unit with the same patients regularly.  Some of them float between sites.  Not sure about the certifications needed, but they probably have to have some type of medical terminology class.  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

@Rils Hi! I'm from Hong Kong. English is my second language (I speak Cantonese and Mandarin) but I've worked in multinational corporations for years before I came here. I'm lucky to be able to get back to the same industry here in the U.S.. Not sure which state/city you guys will be relocated to so it's hard to say if her Mandarin will be useful. Based on your description of her aspirations, I don't think she should limit herself to think from the Mandarin perspective.

That said, if your wife has a Bachelor degree from Taiwan, I highly recommend her to check out Upwardly Global (https://www.upwardlyglobal.org/). They offer free career program to help immigrants who possess bachelor degree from home country. It's not job matching service but their career coach will help you to write resumes, mock interviews, etc. 

Feel fee to send me a PM if you want to chat more.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:27 AM, mave said:

@Rils Hi! I'm from Hong Kong. English is my second language (I speak Cantonese and Mandarin) but I've worked in multinational corporations for years before I came here. I'm lucky to be able to get back to the same industry here in the U.S.. Not sure which state/city you guys will be relocated to so it's hard to say if her Mandarin will be useful. Based on your description of her aspirations, I don't think she should limit herself to think from the Mandarin perspective.

That said, if your wife has a Bachelor degree from Taiwan, I highly recommend her to check out Upwardly Global (https://www.upwardlyglobal.org/). They offer free career program to help immigrants who possess bachelor degree from home country. It's not job matching service but their career coach will help you to write resumes, mock interviews, etc. 

Feel fee to send me a PM if you want to chat more.

Thanks Mave! I will look into this and if we have any further questions or idea I will message you!

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:05 AM, Rils said:

If she's in Los Angeles area let me know, our produce company is looking for Taiwanese immigrant to hire right now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.