Elzmd

Travel to US from UK

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've seen on the embassy website here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-visa-and-travel-faqs/ That it is fine for a K1 to travel to the US. However I have some doubts and just wanted to make sure this is the case. Has anyone else flown from england/UK to US on a K1? Were there any issues at check-in or otherwise? Should I print something off to show them I am okay to fly?

I flew from the UK on an issued K1 in August.

At Heathrow, they were checking that everybody has the ability to enter the US before they let you check in. In my experience, this was very smooth because whilst the line for US citizens was very long, all foreign passport holders (of which there were very few) were ushered into a new line. At the end of this line is a representative from the US government who checks your visa and gives the go-ahead for check in to the airline reps.

All very smooth. It was just like flying like normal, to be honest, apart for providing evidence of a negative COVID test, which was a new experience for me.

Happy to answer any other related questions. Otherwise, best of luck to you :)

Edited by AW1704

1 hour ago, Elzmd said:

Thank you both! I can't think of any more questions just yet, but I'm trying to make sure everything is ready for a Nov 1st flight and I'm sure something will come to mind eventually. :P

You're very welcome. Best of luck for the upcoming move! 

And do reach out in case you have any other questions. If I may point you towards one other issue you'll need to think about shortly, it's getting a social security number. I myself have just come to the end of my own saga with this, but it is a process you can smooth over (as much as possible) by being prepared. There's lots of threads about it on VJ. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, AW1704 said:

You're very welcome. Best of luck for the upcoming move! 

And do reach out in case you have any other questions. If I may point you towards one other issue you'll need to think about shortly, it's getting a social security number. I myself have just come to the end of my own saga with this, but it is a process you can smooth over (as much as possible) by being prepared. There's lots of threads about it on VJ. :)

Thank you! I've read that its best to try and get one sorted before marriage, at least, but I'll be looking into it a bit more if this initial move-over works out. Can I ask what your experience was like with POE? Did you have to hand over evidence of relationship and so on?

I'm also flying from LHR/London to ATL/Atlanta with a stop for a few hours in JFK/New York - Do you know if I'll go through the customs process in New York instead of Atlanta?

Edited by Elzmd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Elzmd said:

Can I ask what your experience was like with POE? Did you have to hand over evidence of relationship and so on?

POE is interested in a proper visa and the white envelope you hand them. You have a visa so your relationship has already been proven. POE has no interest in your relationship.

49 minutes ago, Elzmd said:

I'm also flying from LHR/London to ATL/Atlanta with a stop for a few hours in JFK/New York - Do you know if I'll go through the customs process in New York instead of Atlanta?

POE stands for “point of entry” which means the first place you land in the US which is JFK according to your description. That is where you are cleared by immigration (visa and white envelope). Then you collect your luggage and go through customs (clear luggage, things you are bringing into the country). Then recheck bags to Atlanta flight. At Atlanta you just get off the plane, collect luggage, and leave the airport because all your checks were done at JFK. 

Here’s what people have said about their JFK POE experience. https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/poereviews.php?poe=JFK&dfilter=0

You find POE reviews in the menu under “Office Reviews and Info”, then “US Port of Entry Reviews”. You’ll be taken to a page where you can choose your airport.

My POE was Chicago. I can't speak for every K1 entrant, but my POE experience couldn't have been smoother.

The CBP agent took my passport and envelope that I had received from the consulate and stamped a tonne of pages from that packet. He did ask some questions as he was leafing through the envelope documents - standard stuff, fiancee's name, wedding plans etc etc, but honestly it sounded as much to me as if he was just making conversation as opposed to trying to glean any meaningful information. Perhaps that was just his style, but in any case I appreciated it as it was very relaxed and non-invasive. He didn't ask for additional information in my case. As a backup I did bring photos and stuff and had more on my phone but they weren't needed and maybe they are never needed.

One thing that I didn't know as I was going through that I would have appreciated: they keep hold of your big envelope afterwards. I spent my first few minutes in my new country freaking out and wondering whether I should have taken the envelope with me (he didn't hand it back to me but did put it in a place that was "within reach") - probably mostly jetlag and finding an excuse to have a panic, but yeah, I wish I had known that he would definitely keep it before I actually went through the POE 😅

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

44 minutes ago, AW1704 said:

One thing that I didn't know as I was going through that I would have appreciated: they keep hold of your big envelope afterwards.

The white envelope holds all your immigration files plus medical exam. The POE guys send it to storage. When you apply for AOS, it is ordered from storage to put with your AOS application file. Sometimes people are told at interview they didin’t receive your medical results. Most likely your white envelope file was misfiled and they couldn’t be arsed to look for it so they (storage people) just say there’s no file. Then you have to go have a new medical in the US. Otherwise the one in London would do for AOS.

11 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The white envelope holds all your immigration files plus medical exam. The POE guys send it to storage. When you apply for AOS, it is ordered from storage to put with your AOS application file. Sometimes people are told at interview they didin’t receive your medical results. Most likely your white envelope file was misfiled and they couldn’t be arsed to look for it so they (storage people) just say there’s no file. Then you have to go have a new medical in the US. Otherwise the one in London would do for AOS.

Haha good to know. I will look out for that one come AoS time.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, Elzmd said:

Thank you! I've read that its best to try and get one sorted before marriage, at least, but I'll be looking into it a bit more if this initial move-over works out. Can I ask what your experience was like with POE? Did you have to hand over evidence of relationship and so on?

NY. Ny- atlanta will be a domestic glight. You will also pick up luggage and clear customs in NY. Then check in again. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.