10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi! I just have a question. If you entered and lived in the US for 4 years (10/2017) as k1 visa, then just got green card after 4 yrs living in the US (9/2021),  When can you apply for citizenship?  
when I interviewed for GC, i was told I would get a 2 year GC because in a year I could apply for citizenship, but reading the guides…. Looks like 5 years after GC is issued.

10 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Hi! I just have a question. If you entered and lived in the US for 4 years (10/2017) as k1 visa, then just got green card after 4 yrs living in the US (9/2021),  When can you apply for citizenship?  
when I interviewed for GC, i was told I would get a 2 year GC because in a year I could apply for citizenship, but reading the guides…. Looks like 5 years after GC is issued.

When was Form I-485 approved? Also, did you submit Form I-751?

*** Moved to US citizenship general forum ***

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You misunderstood what was said at your interview.  

When you entered on the K-1 is irrelevant. 

The 5 years rule for US citizenship.  You can file for citizenship after having a green card for 5 years. 

The 3 years rule for US citizenship.  You can file for citizenship after having a green card for 3 years if 1) you have a GC for 3 years, AND 2) you have been married to a US citizen during those 3 years of having a GC, AND 3) you have been living with your US spouse for those 3 years.  

If you have been married for 2 years or more at your interview, you would get a 10 years green card.

If you have been married for less than 2 years at your interview, you would get a 2 years green card AND must file for removal of condition within the 90 days before it expires.  

How long were you married when you had your interview?

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you for the response. :)

Actually, we’ve been married for more than 3 years and yet, they just gave me 2 yrs GC… that’s why I was planning to apply for Naturalization before my GC expired… but I don’t know if I’m eligible. :(  

7 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

Actually, we’ve been married for more than 3 years and yet, they just gave me 2 yrs GC…

Again, when exactly was the I-485 approved? Also, when exactly did you marry?

If they issued the wrong card then you should file Form I-90 for free: "My existing card has incorrect data because of DHS error." https://www.uscis.gov/i-90 I recommend filing that form online.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
3 hours ago, Kinsley said:

Just got approved this year. We got married November 2017

Ill check that out. Thank u. :)

You should have gotten a 10 years green card if you were married for more than 2 years at the time of your interview.   You can file Form I-90 for free to have USCIS fix their mistake.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you came on a K-1 visa, you are eligible to file for citizenship after 3 years of being granted conditional residency provided you have remained married to a US Citizen spouse during that time. Here is our situation: 

My wife arrived to this country on a K-1 visa in February 23, 2016. We were married April 30, 2016. She filed for Adjustment of status at the end of May 2016. She attended her AOS interview and was granted 2 year conditional residency on December 29, 2016. In December 2018 (2 years later), we filed for Removal of Conditions. On December 29, 2019 (3 years after being approved for conditional residency) she was eligible to file for citizenship because we were and are still married. Even though my wife was eligible to file for citizenship in December 2019, we filed in June 2020 even though she was still waiting on the Removal of Conditions process to be adjudicated (so essentially this was 3 1/2 years after being granted conditional permanent residency). As we all know Covid created massive delays in immigration cases that were in process. In  September 2020, she received notice that her ROC and Citizenship cases were being combined which meant she would have a combo ROC/Citizenship interview. On July 5, 2021, she received notice for a combo interview in San Francisco on July 27. She attended the combo interview and was approved for ROC and Citizenship on July 29. On August 24, she took the oath at the USCIS office in SF. In total, she received her citizenship in less than 5 years after becoming a permanent resident due to the fact that she came on a K-1 Visa and provided proof of a stable marriage to a US Citizen after 3 years of residency. My wife never received a 10 year GC.

If you have been a legal permanent resident for at least 3 years after being married to a US Citizen on a K-1 visa, you can file for Citizenship at any time even if you have not received your 10 year GC yet. You don’t have to wait until 5 years. Hope this information helps. 

I-129F K-1 Fiance Visa Process, I-212/601 Waivers

November 2013 - Met online: Match.com
December 6 - 8, 2013 - Met in person for the first time in Mexico.
February 2014 - Filed for K1/K2 Visa
April 2014 - K1 Visa Approved
March 19, 2015 - Attended interview in Juarez. fiancée denied. Allowed to file for I-212 and 601 waivers
June 25, 2015 - 212 and 601 Waivers received at Phoenix lockbox and forwarded to Nebraska Service Center.
December 21, 2015 - Waivers Approved
December 28, 2015 - Instruction letter received. Request for passports and new medical.
February 1-3, 2016 - Trip to Juarez for new medical and submit passports to consulate.
February 5, 2016 - Medical documents and passports received at consulate.

February 12, 2016 - Passports with K1 Visa picked up from DHL in Tijuana.
February 22, 2016 - Entry into California through Otay Mesa POE without daughter who decided to stay in MX.
April 30, 2016 - Married!!!!

AOS, EAD, AP Process

June 1, 2016 - Mailed adjustment of status packet.
June 15, 2016 - NOA1 Received I-485, I-131, I-765
July 8, 2016 - Biometrics Appointment
July 25, 2016 I-485, I-131, I-765 Cases appeared on USCIS Website.

August 29, 2016 - EAD/AP Card received via USPS Priority Mail.

November 21, 2016 - Received text that Interview has been Scheduled for 12/21/16

December 21, 2016 - Interview in San Francisco

December 29, 2016 - AOS Approved, 

I-751 ROC -Process

December 6, 2018 - I-751 Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

January 28, 2018 - File receipt and extension letter received.

August, 2020 file transferred to be adjudicated with N-400

July 6,2021 Combo Interview Scheduled in San Francisco

August 3, 2021 ROC/ Naturalization Interview

August 6, 2021 ROC Approved

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 14, 2020 - N-400 filed

July 6, 2021 Received Notice of Combo Interview Scheduled in San Francisco, CA

August 3, 2021 Combination ROC/Naturalization Interview

August 6, 2021 Naturalization Approved

August 24, 2021 Oath Ceremony and Naturalization Certificate Issued

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.