OmarStuck

N-600K Complete Experience

155 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, reey said:

Yes i submitted and i got a confirmation receipt.just waiting

Great!!!

Thank you very much Reey for letting me know about this, 

in my form; the information concerning the US citizen grandparent does not appear in the Draft case snapshot (PDF),

even though I did fill it out and the summary does show this information. its just the PDF, I don't know if this is crucial or not.

I am not sure if you had exactly this same problem. 

but, I am happy your case was well received!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/16/2023 at 7:31 AM, Kate987 said:

Hi Rami

>> is the presence of the grandparent essential during the interview in US or the child's parent is enough? 

Just thought I would add my experience on this as it seems to be different to other people's. We haven't had our interview yet (still in the process of scheduling it) but our email from the USCIS Officer states that the qualifying grandparent does NOT have to attend the interview. 

I am the US citizen parent. My dad is the qualifying grandparent and we have used his physical presence in the US for our children's N-600K applications. But my dad, the grandparent, is not required to attend the interview. This is from the email inviting us to schedule an interview (email is from May 2023): "The U.S. citizen parent and the child are required to appear for the interview; the U.S. citizen Grandparent is not required to attend."

@SirenDoll  @CeciBol@Kate987@Rami. @OmarStuck

I found out an interesting detail when attending my local Embassy appointment for submitting my passport applications for my children. The authorizing officer who took our oath was explaining the process to obtain SSN for our children, which will now require another trip to the US as this will need to be done in person, our closest office is Great Falls, MT he highly recommended I call the office and inquire with them on the process. He gave me their number to call. He said the process will VARY from state to state, meaning there are general rules and processes for these applications BUT each state's office has varying intricacies relating to how they handle things such as if the grandparent needs to be present for the USCIS N600K citizenship interview! I found this very interesting and feel it would be an incredibly valuable resource if we could somehow narrow down which offices require grandparents to be present vs. not and create a list for others. 

Choosing an office based on their wait times AND whether or not the grandparent needing to be present would be an amazing resource. We already can know the estimated processing times here: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Would you all be able to share which office you got your interview at or are scheduled to be at? AND share whether or not the officers at the office have said yes or no to grandparent needing to be present during the interview?

I'll start:

1. Helena, MT USCIS office - Yes, grandparent required to attend. 

On 5/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, reey said:

Yes mine as well wasnt showing grandfathers detail.it only shows part 4 no 11 on citizen by.Also shows part 5.Goodluck!

Exactly!!!,

and also part 3 no. 6, 7, 8, 9  and 10.  but why? 

Reey, sorry to bother you with this again, but I would really appreciate any feedback, if USCIS makes any statement concerning the blank spaces, would you please let me know? 

Thank you!!!

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, mamouth said:

Hi everyone. I'm about to start the process. I have gathered all the documents. The only ones I'm not sure about is how to demonstrate Proof of Legal and Physical Custody.

Is that only in cases of divorced parents or it has to be provided in all cases?

Thanks 

I had to submit additional evidence to prove this, so would recommend you submit evidence to prove physical custody in your original application. I gave proof of my own address (council tax bill and mortgage letter) and proof of my children’s address (their school printed a copy of their school record showing their full name, date of birth, address and name and address of parents). The fact that my and their addresses are the same was sufficient proof that I have physical custody of them. 

10 hours ago, Kate987 said:

I had to submit additional evidence to prove this, so would recommend you submit evidence to prove physical custody in your original application. I gave proof of my own address (council tax bill and mortgage letter) and proof of my children’s address (their school printed a copy of their school record showing their full name, date of birth, address and name and address of parents). The fact that my and their addresses are the same was sufficient proof that I have physical custody of them. 

Thanks - that's very helpful

16 hours ago, mamouth said:

Hi everyone. I'm about to start the process. I have gathered all the documents. The only ones I'm not sure about is how to demonstrate Proof of Legal and Physical Custody.

Is that only in cases of divorced parents or it has to be provided in all cases?

Thanks 

I have not done this because my children live with myself and my wife.

I do not think this is necessary unless you there is a divorce/separation/death involved.

3 hours ago, mamouth said:

Thanks for this. @Kate987do you mind confirming if this applies to you?

I had also thought it didn’t apply to me as I’m married to and live with the father of my children. I was asked to provide this in a Request For Evidence (RFE) once our applications got to the top of the pile and were being looked at (which was after about 14 months, just for info). 

Some things do appear to be done differently by different field offices - for example the qualifying grandparent is not required to attend the interview at the field office we’re with but other people at different offices have been told the grandparent is required to attend - so perhaps others have not had to provide this evidence. But if it’s fairly simple for you to add in proof of your and your child/children’s addresses then I would recommend doing that. 

2 minutes ago, Kate987 said:

I had also thought it didn’t apply to me as I’m married to and live with the father of my children. I was asked to provide this in a Request For Evidence (RFE) once our applications got to the top of the pile and were being looked at (which was after about 14 months, just for info). 

Some things do appear to be done differently by different field offices - for example the qualifying grandparent is not required to attend the interview at the field office we’re with but other people at different offices have been told the grandparent is required to attend - so perhaps others have not had to provide this evidence. But if it’s fairly simple for you to add in proof of your and your child/children’s addresses then I would recommend doing that. 

Thanks for the feedback.

What field office did you use?

2 minutes ago, Kate987 said:

@Kate987, do you mind sharing which field office your application is at? I am about to start the process and would prefer if we didn't have to fly the qualifying grandparent out with us!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.