Merrill

US to Thailand calling card - best quality

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I would like to find a high quality calling card. The one that I use now is not very good. I am calling a cell number in Ubon Ratchathani and sometimes the sound is so bad I have to call back. Sometimes I get the all circuits are busy try later message. When Chutima calls me the sound quality is much better so I know that higher quality networks exist. I have vonage and the calls to thailand with vonage are even worse than the calling card and more expensive.

The one I have now I purchased on www.ThaiTel.com. It is called HandyDirect and it says that the network is provided by LSR Telecom, USA.

What calling card do you use?

Are you satisfied with the quality?

Are you satisfied with the cost?

Merrill

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
I would like to find a high quality calling card. The one that I use now is not very good. I am calling a cell number in Ubon Ratchathani and sometimes the sound is so bad I have to call back. Sometimes I get the all circuits are busy try later message. When Chutima calls me the sound quality is much better so I know that higher quality networks exist. I have vonage and the calls to thailand with vonage are even worse than the calling card and more expensive.

The one I have now I purchased on www.ThaiTel.com. It is called HandyDirect and it says that the network is provided by LSR Telecom, USA.

Merrill

I used my cell to call Korea, it was just conveinent...and was only about 9 cent a minute to a cell phone...most of the mobile subscribers have plans for this...

Feb. 16-Sent 129F to TSC.

Feb. 27-NOA1, received CSC.

Mar. 27-Found VJ, and became disappointed for not being able to use VSC.

Mar. 27-Applied for military expedite and got congressional help.

Mar. 28-touched.

Mar. 29-touched again.

Mar. 30-touched yet again.

Apr. 04-touched another time.

Apr. 05-touched some more.

May 15-touched once again.

May 15-NOA2. 78 days...WOW!!!

May 16-touched???(mail to NVC???).

May 18-Received Hard Copy NOA2.

May 21-NVC receives case!!!

May 23-NVC sends to Seoul!!!

Jun 04-Embassy receives case!!!

Jun 06-Receive Packet 3.

Jun 08-Receive Packet 4.

Jul 06-Interview.

Jul 06-APPROVED VISA

Aug 02-Arrived in US

Oct 29-Married

Soon, real soon for AOS, AP and EAD...just need time from the Army to do it with...

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ0Jk5PQTErcmVjZWl2ZWQuLi4mMDAwMDAwJjAwMDAwMCYxNSYxMiZjJjAmMjYmMiYyMDA3JjIwJjImNjU4ODk3MDAxMTc2OTc4Mzk1Lic=.gif

i am in bkk right now but when i get back i can tell you the name of the one i use (0 connect fee and no extraneous deductions) $10 gave me about 25 hours iirc. (no difference between mobile or landline either!)

i think you may be near to my area according to your profile, so maybe if you can get to berkeley there is a market on university called tuk tuk and they have the card i am talking about.

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline

Merrill

I use nobel.com The card's name is "Hello Thailand". You can try it out and see what you think, but, most of the time 80-90% of the time I have no problems. Oh, the cell phone number, and home number is in Nakorn-Ratchasima.

Justin

“People count up the faults of those who keep them waiting”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have tried many cards. The best one I could find is IDphonecard.com. 4.3 a minute to Thailand and I always get connected, and connections are good; no matter what part of Thailand she is in at the time. Very, very, reliable. Works on cell phones also, the same price. No connection or extra fees. I have been using it for 4 months now and all I do is email them and they email me a complete list of all phone calls I made.

reach449

Edited by reach449

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Timeline

I use callingcards.com. It's 2 cents a minute to call to a cell phone. You can get phone records as well.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I use callingcards.com. It's 2 cents a minute to call to a cell phone. You can get phone records as well.

I have been using Skype on the computer. I have a bluetooth headset for my cell phone that will also connect to the laptop.

I buy Skype credit and calls to Thailand are $.062/min to a bangkok number and $.116 i think to a cell number anywhere in Thailand.

The connect quality is decent to very good, more dependent on where she is in Thailand than anything else.

I only have a cell phone otherwise, and using it to call international is completely cost prohibitive. I have Cingular/ATT pay as you go, and calls to Thailand on that is something like $1/min.

Anyway, just another option.

Michael

Consulate: Manila, Philippines | I-129F Sent: 2022-06-07 | NOA1: 2022-06-09 | NOA2: 2023-07-11 NVC Rec’d: 2023-08-10 | Case #: 2023-08-24 NVC Left Consulate: 2023-09-12 | Received : 2023-09-13 | Packet 3 Rec’d : | Packet 3 Sent : | Packet 4 Rec’d: 2023-09-19 | Interview: 2023-10-17 | Interview Result: Approved!

Timeline

I have been using Skype on the computer. I have a bluetooth headset for my cell phone that will also connect to the laptop.

I buy Skype credit and calls to Thailand are $.062/min to a bangkok number and $.116 i think to a cell number anywhere in Thailand.

The connect quality is decent to very good, more dependent on where she is in Thailand than anything else.

I only have a cell phone otherwise, and using it to call international is completely cost prohibitive. I have Cingular/ATT pay as you go, and calls to Thailand on that is something like $1/min.

Michael

I've been thinking about using skype. How about Vonage? I haven't checked the costs there.

I-129F

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Michael

I've been thinking about using skype. How about Vonage? I haven't checked the costs there.

skip Skype unless the person you're contacting is also using Skype. If you're calling a cell phone it's 11 cents a minute..Land line bangkok 6 cents.

I've been using peanuts LD for a couple years. For $20 I get about 600 minutes from my home phone (3.2 cents a minute). They keep phone records (though I don't know how far back they keep them). Easy to recharge over the net. Has local and 1-800 access numbers (though the 1-800 costs like 1.5 cents more per minute to use...great for payphones if you need it. Or from your cell phone if you need...but I almost always use the local access number from my home phone). You can add up to 20 numbers you'll be calling FROM so you don't have to enter a pin code assuming you call from those phones. If you call from a different phone than what's on the list you have to enter your pin. http://www.peanuts-ld.com/

What's your experience been with callingcards.com??

Edited by damian5000

Timeline

Michael

skip Skype unless the person you're contacting is also using Skype. If you're calling a cell phone it's 11 cents a minute..Land line bangkok 6 cents.

I've been using peanuts LD for a couple years. For $20 I get about 600 minutes from my home phone (3.2 cents a minute). They keep phone records (though I don't know how far back they keep them). Easy to recharge over the net. Has local and 1-800 access numbers (though the 1-800 costs like 1.5 cents more per minute to use...great for payphones if you need it. Or from your cell phone if you need...but I almost always use the local access number from my home phone). You can add up to 20 numbers you'll be calling FROM so you don't have to enter a pin code assuming you call from those phones. If you call from a different phone than what's on the list you have to enter your pin. http://www.peanuts-ld.com/

What's your experience been with callingcards.com??

I've had a good experience with callingcards.com. To call her cellphone, I am paying 2 cents a minute, with 3 minute billing increments. I e-mail them and ask for phone records and they send them with no problems.

I-129F

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I use Skype, a little bit more than a calling card but I have not had any issues with it at all. I also have Skype setup to where I can call a local number that cross ref's my SO's cell phone in Thailand and am only charged the normal Skype fee. It is pretty convenient when i am not near a PC and call call directly from my cell.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

speedypin.com was good but now poor sound quality.

Now try;

instantphonecardorg.pushline *dot* com

Jupiter card is good.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

btw, I had skype-in and skype-out. Unless the other end is on a fast internet line it sounds almost inaudible.

ymmv

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

btw, I had skype-in and skype-out. Unless the other end is on a fast internet line it sounds almost inaudible.

ymmv

Dial up has really poor latency, could be anywhere from 500 ms to 2000ms. Even if there is enough bandwidth for the voice data, you will have a noticeable delay between the two parties. If both ends have DSL or better and there is nothing in between causing problems with latency (like the taiwan earthquake), then computer to computer voice works pretty well.

keTiiDCjGVo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.