Merrill

US to Thailand calling card - best quality

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've noticed lately that when I call my fiancee at night (her morning/afternoon) using a phone card, the sound quality has been terrible. I can barely hear her and she can't hear me. When she calls me back it's crystal clear. If I call her in the morning or afternoon here, there are no problems with the call quality.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was using a calling card for nearly 2 years now which was charging me 10 cents per minute ... DOH!!! Thanks for the tip about callingcards.com, I ordered one this morning and am using it now, 5 times as many minutes :thumbs: and Nid and I talked almost forever tonight :dance::dance::dance:

The quality was identical, the voices asking for pin numbers and cell number were even the same as my old card :huh: I am a dolt. Anyway, now when Nid comes here she will have a great plan for calling back home. Thanks again!!!!!

Timeline:

02/20/2005 - Met first time in Bangkok, Thailand

01/19/2006 - "Unofficial" Wedding Ceremony in Surin, Thailand

03/19/2007 - Filed K-1 Visa petition at Vermont Service Center

08/30/2007 - Received K-1 Visa from US Embassy Bangkok

10/05/2007 - Arrived POE at Washington DC

10/09/2007 - "Official" Wedding Ceremony in Rockville, Maryland

10/23/2007 - Apply for SSN

10/25/2007 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP petitions to Chicago Lockbox

10/29/2007 - Received SSN

11/02/2007 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

11/27/2007 - AOS/EAD Biometrics - USCIS Glenmont, Maryland

12/19/2007 - AOS transfered to CSC

12/27/2007 - EAD/AP approved

01/03/2008 - Received AP Documents

01/05/2008 - Received EAD Card

Perpetual fluctuation is the essence of the perceptual universe

Timeline
I was using a calling card for nearly 2 years now which was charging me 10 cents per minute ... DOH!!! Thanks for the tip about callingcards.com, I ordered one this morning and am using it now, 5 times as many minutes :thumbs: and Nid and I talked almost forever tonight :dance::dance::dance:

The quality was identical, the voices asking for pin numbers and cell number were even the same as my old card :huh: I am a dolt. Anyway, now when Nid comes here she will have a great plan for calling back home. Thanks again!!!!!

Nate,

Glad to hear the new calling card works well. I don't think you can beat 2 cents a minute. I had a bit of a problem with mine (poor call quality) for a few calls recently, but it's back to normal now...it could have just been the line though.

I-129F

Timeline

"THE ONE" card is available on www.thaitel.com

this is the card I swear by and is EASILY the best I've used. occassionally (maybe once a week, and i call everyday twice a day) I'll get a bad connection. but, if i hang up and call right back, the call quality is just fine

its only 1 penny per minute! and thats to land line, outlying provinces, and mobile phones

local access numbers, and also 800 access numbers

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this card

buy it here:

http://www.thaitel.com/cardmoreinfo/card_theone.php

21 JUL 07 : K1 package mailed to Nebraska Service Center

24 JUL 07 : K1 arrived in Lincoln, NE

24 JUL 07 : USPS status of package: DELIVERED:)

02 AUG 07 : NOA1 from CSC

03 DEC 07: NOA2

12 DEC 07: NVC Receives

14 DEC 07: NVC sends to Bangkok

17 DEC 07: Consulate receives

08 JAN 08: Packet 3 sent

08 JAN 08: Given date of interview

11 JAN 08: Interview...approved already before getting to the window!...NO questions asked

25 JAN 08: My lady arrives in IAD-Washington DC:)

19 APR 08: Married in Alexandria, VA (5 days before Visa expires)

20 JUN 08: Mailing in AOS packet

18 DEC 09: GREEN CARD RECEIVED:)

Timeline

this is the card I swear by and is EASILY the best I've used. occassionally (maybe once a week, and i call everyday twice a day) I'll get a bad connection. but, if i hang up and call right back, the call quality is just fine

its only 1 penny per minute! and thats to land line, outlying provinces, and mobile phones

buy it here:

That is a good deal...if you have a local access number. Unfortunately I don't so I would be paying a penny more per minute than with callingcards.com. Hopefully others will have better luck. :thumbs:

I-129F

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

buy it here:

Are there any connection fees or hidden fees? Sounds like a good deal.

reach449

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Timeline

buy it here:

Are there any connection fees or hidden fees? Sounds like a good deal.

reach449

You need to be able to dial in to the local access number to get the 1 cent a minute rate.

I-129F

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I also use the "1 cent " card. I buy the $ 5 card and it is good for 8 hours. the funny thing is i used to buy the $ 20 card and also only lasted 8hours of talk time. My friend told the cheaper card has the same amount of talk time for a quarter of the price. The card has local access numbers from all over the United States so the closest area code and city won't cost any toll charges.

Sound quality is fine but sometimes the circuits are busy but after a few tries no problems. I buy my cards at the local Thai video store. Convenient and also i use the store to send money to my fiancee. Faster and cheaper than bank wire or money wire. Fee only $10 for up to $1000. The service makes money by giving you one less baht per dollar exchange.

Timeline
I also use the "1 cent " card. I buy the $ 5 card and it is good for 8 hours. the funny thing is i used to buy the $ 20 card and also only lasted 8hours of talk time. My friend told the cheaper card has the same amount of talk time for a quarter of the price. The card has local access numbers from all over the United States so the closest area code and city won't cost any toll charges.

Sound quality is fine but sometimes the circuits are busy but after a few tries no problems. I buy my cards at the local Thai video store. Convenient and also i use the store to send money to my fiancee. Faster and cheaper than bank wire or money wire. Fee only $10 for up to $1000. The service makes money by giving you one less baht per dollar exchange.

www.talk2thai.net

Timeline
I've noticed lately that when I call my fiancee at night (her morning/afternoon) using a phone card, the sound quality has been terrible. I can barely hear her and she can't hear me. When she calls me back it's crystal clear. If I call her in the morning or afternoon here, there are no problems with the call quality.

I've been using Skype. My fiance and I call each other twice a day for free with our Skype IDs -- plus, with a camera (he has one on his pc, and I have one built into my mac) you can actually see the other person on the other end, which makes the long-distance thing SO much easier! And you can hang out and talk as long as you want, even send files and video, etc.

Also, there's a new thing Skype is doing, where you can get a local number and the calls are all free (but you have to pay $60.00 for the year. Basically, how it works is that your fiance abroad could sign up free for Skype, then get a local number for the US. You can then call your fiance at this number and also leave messages if they're unavailable -- and you can get a US area code with your own area code so all your calls are free.)

I don't know how well this local number works yet -- just testing it myself as I am leaving for Thailand soon and I want my contacts to be able to reach me by calling a local number when I'm gone, a number I can pick up via my laptop. I can hear their voicemail via my computer because I don't want to miss calls.

Also, your fiance (or you can do this for your fiance from the us, even) can put $10.00 into their account. Then if you aren't online (where you can talk for free and/or video chat) your fiance can call you in the US, and the cost is only .03-.04 per minute. SO cheap. My fiance does this when I'm not on the computer -- he'll call my home phone in LA via his computer in Thailand -- the cost is just pennies -- and then he'll wake me up in the morning and tell me to go online so we can have a free face-to-face (via computer) talk.)

This has made the time apart bring us closer together. The internet technology that's accessible in this day and age is phenomenal.

I've had good luck with Pingo.com. 3.3 cents a min, .98 per month service charge, and 1 min increments. That can make quite a difference if every call is rounded off to 3 min. increments as are many cards. There are occasional blips but all in all it's been good. All is done online and you can check your call history, balance, everything at the website anytime.

Timeline

Sent I-129 application package to CSC. 9/10/07

Received hard copy NOA1 09/27/07

Received email of I-129 approval 01/31/08

Received had copy NOA2 and notice that

petition has been sent to NVC 02/05/08

Received Packet 3 03/03/08

Returned Packet 3 to Emabassy 03/06/08

Interview 06/06/08

This is a long, painful story so I'll just say that Wilaiwan finally arrived in Seattle(in a blizzard) on 12/21/08

I've been using Skype. My fiance and I call each other twice a day for free with our Skype IDs -- plus, with a camera (he has one on his pc, and I have one built into my mac) you can actually see the other person on the other end, which makes the long-distance thing SO much easier! And you can hang out and talk as long as you want, even send files and video, etc.

Also, there's a new thing Skype is doing, where you can get a local number and the calls are all free (but you have to pay $60.00 for the year. Basically, how it works is that your fiance abroad could sign up free for Skype, then get a local number for the US. You can then call your fiance at this number and also leave messages if they're unavailable -- and you can get a US area code with your own area code so all your calls are free.)

I don't know how well this local number works yet -- just testing it myself as I am leaving for Thailand soon and I want my contacts to be able to reach me by calling a local number when I'm gone, a number I can pick up via my laptop. I can hear their voicemail via my computer because I don't want to miss calls.

Also, your fiance (or you can do this for your fiance from the us, even) can put $10.00 into their account. Then if you aren't online (where you can talk for free and/or video chat) your fiance can call you in the US, and the cost is only .03-.04 per minute. SO cheap. My fiance does this when I'm not on the computer -- he'll call my home phone in LA via his computer in Thailand -- the cost is just pennies -- and then he'll wake me up in the morning and tell me to go online so we can have a free face-to-face (via computer) talk.)

This has made the time apart bring us closer together. The internet technology that's accessible in this day and age is phenomenal.

With VoIP, you do have to pay attention if the connection is metered or not. My fiancee has broadband, well more narrowband compared to the speeds here, but she is also limited to 3GB of traffic each moth. Voice and webcam can consume quite a bit of that very quickly if your not paying attention.

keTiiDCjGVo

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Sorry...a bit late...but I am still using an access number from a website called MOBIVOX.COM. I paid ten dollars credit and it would last for very long time. I don't recall the actual minutes. But we did talk a lot for $10. Just check the website out for yourself. Might have slight bad connect once in awhile usually around noon to 4 pm Thailand time.

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

There is another option for those with a high speed connection. We have vonage and pay for the unlimited package, $24.95. With this package I pay an additional $10/month for unlimited calling to Thailand. We've had the service for about a month and it has worked great!

Gene & Ying

12/23/04 - I-129F petition mailed to NSC

4/28/05 Interview for Visa in Bangkok-Visa Approved!!!!

5/2/05 Arrive in USA together! POE Minneapolis

5/25/05 - MARRIED!!

6/9/05 - Sent in AOS

7/8/05 - Biometrics for AOS complete in Milwaukee(walk-in)

11/16/05 Interview in Milwaukee - AOS APPROVED!!

9/17/07 Mailed in I-751 to NSC

10/15/07 Received NOA - Case transferred to California

12/27/07 E-mail stating that new card is ordered

12/31/07 10 year Green Card received! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

8/22/08 Sent in N-400 for naturalization

11/19/08 Passed the interview

1/12/09 Received letter about oath ceremony

1/29/09 Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!

1/29/09 Changed status at Social Security office, applied for US Passport

Timeline

So the $24.95 includes local and long distance calls within the US right? I've thought about going this route once my fiancee is here so she can call home as much as she wants.

I-129F

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.