Keila_27

Advice on how to deal with misspelled name on SS card with an extension letter (ROC)

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I was wondering if my issue falls in this category. Anyway, I have a long explanation about my SSN. I entered the US under CR1 (2019) and I have my SS card under my maiden name. I waited to change into my married name when I filed my ROC. And so, by March 2021 I got my extension letter under my married name now. Then I submitted the documents needed for the name change to the Social Security Administration office (via mail). It took a month to wait for the process to be done and I got my new SS card under my married name BUT they misspelled the first letter of my surname (married name). I called the SS office and told me to submit again the documents, so I did what they said. Knowing that my extension letter is a valid document, I submitted it with my expired green card and marriage certificate. (NOTE* the first time I submitted docs to them, my green card was not expired yet.) After about more than 2 weeks, I received a letter from them saying they cannot change my name because they need an unexpired green card. They do not accept extension letters. So I called them and explained everything. The first time I called, they told me that they do not accept extension letter but I said what will I do with the card then? He transferred me to the person who originally processed my name change, because he said he might be able to help me and give me a new card. I was transferred to a voice mail and was not able to talk to the person. So the next day I called again, a different person answered and again, I explained everything to them. I was getting frustrated because this new person who answered the phone is kinda blaming me for submitting an expired green card with an extension letter. It wasn't my fault though. Who misspelled my name in the first place? So, to end the conversation, I said I will just submit my new green card then. (I was frustrated and don't want to explain over and over). My ROC process will take at least a year since it's in MSC. Now, how will I apply for a job when my name is misspelled on my SS card? I only wanted to talk to that person who processed my card and I can't even get to that person. Hoping for any advice on how to deal with this. SS offices are still closed as far as I know. I am still using my maiden name right now since all my Identification cards are in my maiden name still. (Driver's license).  I am just worried about on applying for a job with a misspelled surname.

@Keila_27 I just checked the SSA website and I think I found something that may be able to help you. I found this by searching for "I-551 stamp + social security card" You will probably have to print pages of their Program Operations Manual System (POMS) for the SSA agent to believe you. You may need to ask for a supervisor. Honestly, I would even seek assistance from your US Congressperson 

Here is the link to the Program Operations Manual System (POMS). https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025 

c. I-551 card shows only a 2-year validity period (conditional LPR)

A conditional LPR is issued an I-551 valid for a 2 -year period. When the card expires, DHS determines whether to grant the person lawful permanent resident alien status and issue him or her an I-551 for a 10-year period (i.e., with a 10-year expiration date). DHS does not affix extension stickers to these cards. If the applicant submits an expired I-551 with a Notice of Action (I-797) extending LPR status, see RM 10211.025C.1.d. (***this is just the next paragraph (d)).

d. Expired I-551 with Notice of Action (Form I-797)

USCIS issues a conditional resident alien, who has applied to have his or her conditional status removed, a Form I-797 stating the I-551 has been extended for 18 months.

Accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by an I-797 stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of 18 months. During the 18 month extension you are authorized employment and travel”.

In the Enumeration system, select "Expired I-551 with I-797 Extension" from the Primary DHS Document field on the "Proof of Legal Alien Status" screen. Enter the new expiration date for the I-551 card based on the one-year extension. On the "SAVE Verification" screen, enter the receipt number shown on the I-797 as part of the Additional Verification request. On the Summary screen, enter the receipt date in the Remarks field

NOTE: A sole USCIS receipt (Form I-797) is not acceptable evidence of alien status. Do not accept I-797 receipts for lost or stolen evidence of alien status in lieu of the original evidence (e.g., I-551 cards, MRIV with admission stamp, etc).

As you can see, paragraph d explains how they need to enter the information into the SAVE Verification screen. This is proof that the people you have been dealing have not read the manual. Again, I do not know if a phone call will resolve this or if you will need to mail the green card and the original I-797 along with a printout of the manual. I would probably request to speak to a supervisor and ask them if you can address the envelope to them. Alternatively, go through your US Congressperson. 

In the mean time, though, you should be able to accept a job without issues. You can always show your expired green card and extension letter for the I-9. You have to provide your Social Security number but you do not have to show the card. 

Have you tried running a self check on e-verify? https://www.e-verify.gov/mye-verify/self-check

Hope this helps. :) 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

1 hour ago, Keila_27 said:

I am just worried about on applying for a job with a misspelled surname.

If you have state-issued DL or ID then you can try applying for job with employer that doesn't use E-verify system (I'm assuming that system returns a "mismatch" in your case). The ID would be a List B document and the expired GC with extension letter will be List C document.

1 hour ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@Keila_27 I just checked the SSA website and I think I found something that may be able to help you. I found this by searching for "I-551 stamp + social security card" You will probably have to print pages of their Program Operations Manual System (POMS) for the SSA agent to believe you. You may need to ask for a supervisor. Honestly, I would even seek assistance from your US Congressperson 

Here is the link to the Program Operations Manual System (POMS). https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025 

c. I-551 card shows only a 2-year validity period (conditional LPR)

A conditional LPR is issued an I-551 valid for a 2 -year period. When the card expires, DHS determines whether to grant the person lawful permanent resident alien status and issue him or her an I-551 for a 10-year period (i.e., with a 10-year expiration date). DHS does not affix extension stickers to these cards. If the applicant submits an expired I-551 with a Notice of Action (I-797) extending LPR status, see RM 10211.025C.1.d. (***this is just the next paragraph (d)).

d. Expired I-551 with Notice of Action (Form I-797)

USCIS issues a conditional resident alien, who has applied to have his or her conditional status removed, a Form I-797 stating the I-551 has been extended for 18 months.

Accept an expired I-551 card accompanied by an I-797 stating, “Your conditional resident status is extended for a period of 18 months. During the 18 month extension you are authorized employment and travel”.

In the Enumeration system, select "Expired I-551 with I-797 Extension" from the Primary DHS Document field on the "Proof of Legal Alien Status" screen. Enter the new expiration date for the I-551 card based on the one-year extension. On the "SAVE Verification" screen, enter the receipt number shown on the I-797 as part of the Additional Verification request. On the Summary screen, enter the receipt date in the Remarks field

NOTE: A sole USCIS receipt (Form I-797) is not acceptable evidence of alien status. Do not accept I-797 receipts for lost or stolen evidence of alien status in lieu of the original evidence (e.g., I-551 cards, MRIV with admission stamp, etc).

As you can see, paragraph d explains how they need to enter the information into the SAVE Verification screen. This is proof that the people you have been dealing have not read the manual. Again, I do not know if a phone call will resolve this or if you will need to mail the green card and the original I-797 along with a printout of the manual. I would probably request to speak to a supervisor and ask them if you can address the envelope to them. Alternatively, go through your US Congressperson. 

In the mean time, though, you should be able to accept a job without issues. You can always show your expired green card and extension letter for the I-9. You have to provide your Social Security number but you do not have to show the card. 

Have you tried running a self check on e-verify? https://www.e-verify.gov/mye-verify/self-check

Hope this helps. :) 

Thank you so much for this information.

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

If you have state-issued DL or ID then you can try applying for job with employer that doesn't use E-verify system (I'm assuming that system returns a "mismatch" in your case). The ID would be a List B document and the expired GC with extension letter will be List C document.

Thank you! I do have a state-issued DL.

1 hour ago, Keila_27 said:

Thank you so much for this information.

You are so welcome! Push through! You will make the path easier for others in the same situation in the future. :) 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:45 PM, USC4SPOUSE said:

You are so welcome! Push through! You will make the path easier for others in the same situation in the future. :) 

This forum has really helped a lot in my journey and I'm sure has also helped others in their own journey. Thank you again, I appreciate it a lot.

• 6 months later...

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with this issue. I was able to explain about the Program Operations Manual Systems to the agent at the SSA office and I was given an appointment to have my card replaced with the correct spelling of my name. I was able to submit my expired greencard plus the 24-month extension letter. It took me three calls to the office just to explain my situation. And finally, was able to resolve it. I can't do this without the help of my fellow VisaJourney community. Thank you once again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.