Divinepath

Adding Derivative

16 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

My dad filed a Petition under FB1 visa( unmarried son or daughter of us citizen)I didn’t have a child then . But now I have a daughter and I’m still not married so I want to add my daughter on CEAC as a derivative to travel with me.

when I add her on CEAC please how long will it take NVC to approve for my daughter name to show so I can pay her fees and upload documents

You can add your daughter as derivative benificiary to your case in two ways. If you wish you can add her so that she accompany you or you can add her in your case to join you in a later date after you arrive in the US. If you are opting for the 1st option, you need to add your daughter in the CEAC system as your derivatives in which case you need to pay all the fees, complete the DS-260 form, and upload all relevent supporting documents for your daughter as well. On the other hand, if you opt for the second option you only need to fill up the biographic information about your daughter and your interest to take her later in the DS-260 form, not in the CEAC. 

As far as your question regarding the time line it takes to get approval from NVC is concerned, it's difficult to give prediction. However, considering the current situation you should reasonably expect significant delays. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Kanke said:

You can add your daughter as derivative benificiary to your case in two ways. If you wish you can add her so that she accompany you or you can add her in your case to join you in a later date after you arrive in the US. If you are opting for the 1st option, you need to add your daughter in the CEAC system as your derivatives in which case you need to pay all the fees, complete the DS-260 form, and upload all relevent supporting documents for your daughter as well. On the other hand, if you opt for the second option you only need to fill up the biographic information about your daughter and your interest to take her later in the DS-260 form, not in the CEAC. 

As far as your question regarding the time line it takes to get approval from NVC is concerned, it's difficult to give prediction. However, considering the current situation you should reasonably expect significant delays. 

Thank you very much 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Kanke said:

Thank you very much but I thought follow to join means I can add her on ceac and choose follow to join option and pay fees and upload documents later after I get to state so she can join me later.  That was my understanding 

3 hours ago, Lee1303 said:

Thank you very much but I thought follow to join means I can add her on ceac and choose follow to join option and pay fees and upload documents later after I get to state so she can join me later.  That was my understanding 

Hi, once you add the derivative, the NVC will approve your changes. You can either select "follow to join" or "accompanying" option then based up on selection you will be able to continue your application. 

For more information:

https://do.usembassy.gov/ask-the-consul-adding-derivatives-or-ftjs/

5 hours ago, Kanke said:

Hello

Have you recently added a derivative? If so, how is the journey? Their website says it takes only two hours to show up the derivative you added but i wonder if that is realistic. 

Our consulate is also in Addis Ababa.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Ahava said:

Hello

Have you recently added a derivative? If so, how is the journey? Their website says it takes only two hours to show up the derivative you added but i wonder if that is realistic. 

Our consulate is also in Addis Ababa.

I asked an immigration attorney and he said he recently added a derivative and it took 2-3 days

Timeline
7 hours ago, Ahava said:

Hi, once you add the derivative, the NVC will approve your changes. You can either select "follow to join" or "accompanying" option then based up on selection you will be able to continue your application. 

For more information:

https://do.usembassy.gov/ask-the-consul-adding-derivatives-or-ftjs/

Thank you very much. So if I select follow to join do I have to still pay her visa fees and submit civil documents even though she will not travel with me or I will pay them after I get to the us

Edited by Lee1303

25 minutes ago, Lee1303 said:

Thank you very much. So if I select follow to join do I have to still pay her visa fees and submit civil documents even though she will not travel with me or I will pay them after I get to the us

When you add a derivative Accompanying or follow to join, you still need to complete all the steps.

Here is a link to derivative questions:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing/ceac-faqs.html#ceac14

F categories have limited number of visas every year. So, keep in mind that "follow to join" time frame and validity. You can read it through the link.

38 minutes ago, Lee1303 said:

I asked an immigration attorney and he said he recently added a derivative and it took 2-3 days

Thanks! I guess thier system was down in May, they took a lot more time than that.

Do you have any information on how to add a derivative at the Embassy before the interview if you can't at NVC?

1 hour ago, Ahava said:

Do you have any information on how to add a derivative at the Embassy before the interview if you can't at NVC?

Why can't you add at NVC?  If there's a system issue, you can contact NVC to report it.

Ones you add derivatives in CEAC it should apear in a couple of hours although some times it takes a day and so.  Bear in mind that If you add derivatives in the CEAC, you must also settle their processing fee and submit all required documents. Otherwise, it's considered incomplete and delay your progress. But I don't see any reason for you to add the derivative in the CEAC if she is not accompanying you. Instead, you can simply fill in the particulars of the derivative who is following later in the DS-256 form. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Kanke said:

Ones you add derivatives in CEAC it should apear in a couple of hours although some times it takes a day and so.  Bear in mind that If you add derivatives in the CEAC, you must also settle their processing fee and submit all required documents. Otherwise, it's considered incomplete and delay your progress. But I don't see any reason for you to add the derivative in the CEAC if she is not accompanying you. Instead, you can simply fill in the particulars of the derivative who is following you later 

I.Please is the ads-256 the same as DS-260? So if I put in her particulars when filling my Ds-260 , Do I still have to file and I-130? When I get to the state? Please enlighten me on that process 

2. Have ever tried adding a derivative because the CEAC website is asking for birth certificates when you first add. DoYou need to upload the birth certificate of the derivative child before NVC approves it to continue her processing? Asking for a friend

Edited by Lee1303

Timeline
16 hours ago, Ahava said:

Thanks! I guess thier system was down in May, they took a lot more time than that.

Please when you added your derivative in May Was it a derivative child? If so did you add her birth certificate before it was approved?

1. Please note that it is a requirement to upload the birth certificate of your daughter when you are adding her as a derivative in the CEAC. It won't be approved unless you do so.

2. As I said earlier, if you want your daughter to follow you in a later date, then all you got to do is complete her details in the DS-260 ( sorry for the typo error made earlier, it is DS-260 l, not 256).

3. The DS-260 is the same one you use for yourself. As you continue filling it up you will come across a page where it asks you to fill in information about a derivative whom you suppose to follow you later on. So you just need to complete it there.

4. When you get to the US you need to complete not only the I-130 form but also the DS-260 for your daughter in addition to paying associated fees.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.