pepeg

Best course of action for F1 visa to F4 interview

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is the current situation:

- Currently in the US with a f1 visa that just expired, but on status because my i-20 isn't expired , I have one more year until I graduate.

- Documents were DQ'ed in july 2020, I know this is gonna take a while before I get an interview if anything.

I am just concerned that since I am already over 21, the embassy can reject my petition due to age out: 

- DOB: April 4, 1995

- Priority Date: Nov 3, 2005

- i-130 Approval: July 7, 2009

- Visa Bulletin: April 1, 2019 

Someone already helped me here, and I calculated the CSPA age with an online tool and shows 20 years and a few months, but still my concern is there.  

I submitted my DS-260 on July 2019, so that meets the sough to acquire requirement.

I don't want to risk not being able to graduate if the application doesn't get approved for me. What would be the best course of action to avoid being stuck back at home and won't be able to graduate, an Adjustment of Status? or something else?

Thanks!

Edited by pepeg

Age out depends on visa availability date not interview date, so it cannot make a difference whether you interview at a consulate or do AOS. Also, you can’t adjust status as a derivative until the principal has both gone for interview and entered the US on their immigrant visa, and then who knows how many months it will take to get an AOS interview after that, so I’m not at all sure it makes any sense for you to wait unless you really don’t want to spend the airfare.

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Age out depends on visa availability date not interview date, so it cannot make a difference whether you interview at a consulate or do AOS. Also, you can’t adjust status as a derivative until the principal has both gone for interview and entered the US on their immigrant visa, and then who knows how many months it will take to get an AOS interview after that, so I’m not at all sure it makes any sense for you to wait unless you really don’t want to spend the airfare.

The risk is not getting approved due to CSPA, which I am assuming I should be fine on that end correct?, and being stuck at home without being able to graduate, and waiting to get a renewal on my visa.  That's where all my concern lies on. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably this is your Parents case.

I would stay on F1 until you adjust or go through consular processing.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

Presumably this is your Parents case.

I would stay on F1 until you adjust or go through consular processing.

Yes, this is my parents case. I am a derivate beneficiary. 

Adjusting status would require me to let the embassy know that I won't show up to the interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are basically dependent on your Parents case being approved, that could be sometime in the distance.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

You are basically dependent on your Parents case being approved, that could be sometime in the distance.

Yes, I understand that part, but if they get approved and I don't show up to the interview. Would I be able to adjust status after they enter the US, given the fact that I am still in the US due to school?

25 minutes ago, pepeg said:

The risk is not getting approved due to CSPA, which I am assuming I should be fine on that end correct?, and being stuck at home without being able to graduate, and waiting to get a renewal on my visa.  That's where all my concern lies on. 

The “risk” of not getting approved to cspa is uniform irrespective of where you interview. You are either protected, or you’re not. It doesn’t make a difference whether you do consular processing or AOs from that perspective. Your concern should rather lie on what happens to your status while you wait for your parent to interview and enter the US, because if you fall out of legal status (what are your plans after you graduate?) you cannot do AOS anymore.

5 minutes ago, pepeg said:

Yes, I understand that part, but if they get approved and I don't show up to the interview. Would I be able to adjust status after they enter the US, given the fact that I am still in the US due to school?

You understand that it can take up to a year to adjust, right? In some cases more like two years. Look up i485 processing times for your local office. https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ 

not understanding entirely how you are both graduating and still staying in school for some indeterminate amount of months 

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You understand that it can take up to a year to adjust, right? In some cases more like two years. Look up i485 processing times for your local office. https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ 

I didn't know this part. This makes more sense in just going to the interview to avoid waiting up to  years.

Having said that, does CSPA applies to me?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.