Stingbass

Exemption to Leave on K1 Denied

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

@Stingbass

Hello, I've been following your post and hoping you were able to get exemption on your latest attemp... any update?!? 🙏

Very interested to hear what you ended up including with your request that hopefully worked this time. (if you would be go kind to share) 

On 5/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, Stingbass said:

the letter from the embassy which states that she will be staying in the United States for an extended amount of time

I'm curious how the letter from the embassy was worded, as I could envision where "staying in the United States for an extended amount of time" may be seen differently by some bureaucrat than "Immigrating permanently to the United States".

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline

@RP&JE hi there, we were in fact approved on our second attempt! We ended up going a bit over the top to prove that she would be staying in the states permanently. I provided our application for a 1 year lease on an apartment which she had signed, the flight itinerary for her one way flight (which I really didn’t want to book until she got the exemption, but I thought it would help), a copy of her airbnb receipt to show that she had an expiring stay in Sydney and no lease/home in Australia because she was expecting to immigrate, the statutory declaration which we re-worded to be more specific about her intent to immigrate and what we’ve gone through during the K1, a copy of her K1 visa, a copy of her passport, a copy of the letter provided by the embassy stating that she would be gone for an extended period of time, a copy of our letter of intent to marry and a cover letter which I typed up to explicitly explain our intent, process and reason we qualify for both the 3 months or more reasoning AND the compassionate/humanitarian reasoning. We got our response within about 24 hours and she’s already arrived here in the US as of yesterday! I’d say if you’re looking to get an exemption, go over the top to secure it the first time. It’s a pretty easy process generally. 

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Stingbass said:

@RP&JE hi there, we were in fact approved on our second attempt! We ended up going a bit over the top to prove that she would be staying in the states permanently. I provided our application for a 1 year lease on an apartment which she had signed, the flight itinerary for her one way flight (which I really didn’t want to book until she got the exemption, but I thought it would help), a copy of her airbnb receipt to show that she had an expiring stay in Sydney and no lease/home in Australia because she was expecting to immigrate, the statutory declaration which we re-worded to be more specific about her intent to immigrate and what we’ve gone through during the K1, a copy of her K1 visa, a copy of her passport, a copy of the letter provided by the embassy stating that she would be gone for an extended period of time, a copy of our letter of intent to marry and a cover letter which I typed up to explicitly explain our intent, process and reason we qualify for both the 3 months or more reasoning AND the compassionate/humanitarian reasoning. We got our response within about 24 hours and she’s already arrived here in the US as of yesterday! I’d say if you’re looking to get an exemption, go over the top to secure it the first time. It’s a pretty easy process generally. 

thank you so very much for this detail. Congratulations on getting through all of this madness and so happy for you to finally be together. We’ll be applying in the next week or so and this will help tremendously. Best wishes to you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.