anworm

Getting married after filling DS-260

3 posts in this topic

Hey there.

I was selected for DV Lottery with case number ~2500 for Portugal after both me and my bf applied (he fell through). I was so anxious and excited about it that I already filled DS-260 as a single person.
Our plan was to get married sometime between august and September this year. I read the information on US gov website and also online and I understood this is not much of a problem because you can just update the application if marital status changes and fill a new form for the partner. However, I'm kinda nervous about it and about how it can affect the overall process.

We met in university, been together for 7 years and bought a house together in 2019, so I know it's not like a sketchy looking case but still.

Do you think it can be a problem? Do you have any recommendations/insights on this?

Not a problem but probably best to get married earlier rather than later so you can contact Kentucky to open up your DS-260 and add your spouse. Spouse will also need police and other certificates as well as medical so best not to leave this to August/September. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

5 hours ago, anworm said:

Hey there.

I was selected for DV Lottery with case number ~2500 for Portugal after both me and my bf applied (he fell through). I was so anxious and excited about it that I already filled DS-260 as a single person.
Our plan was to get married sometime between august and September this year. I read the information on US gov website and also online and I understood this is not much of a problem because you can just update the application if marital status changes and fill a new form for the partner. However, I'm kinda nervous about it and about how it can affect the overall process.

We met in university, been together for 7 years and bought a house together in 2019, so I know it's not like a sketchy looking case but still.

Do you think it can be a problem? Do you have any recommendations/insights on this?

I presume you are a DV2022 selectee? Once you are married you will ask KCC to reopen your DS260, add him as a spouse on your form, and he will need to fill in a DS260 as a derivative. Because you got married after selection, you will very likely be questioned to determine whether it is a bona fide relationship in the interview, so take along some evidence to show the long relationship between you as well as the required civil documents.

3 hours ago, milimelo said:

Not a problem but probably best to get married earlier rather than later so you can contact Kentucky to open up your DS-260 and add your spouse. Spouse will also need police and other certificates as well as medical so best not to leave this to August/September. 

I personally don’t see a huge problem leaving it to Aug/Sept. the earliest DV22 interviews are in October, even though OP has a pretty low case number and possibly could otherwise have oct or nov interview it will just delay the interview a couple of months, plenty time before the end of FY22 in Sept 22. However one thing I will say is to unlock the DS now and leave it unlocked till marriage update to avoid inadvertently getting scheduled for interview as single.

(All this is the assumption OP is DV22. If DV21 the original post would seem to be missing a lot of info about current status in the process.)

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.