bharats

Worrying after 2 weeks - over thinking maybe...

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I had my interview on 26 April. Like most others have said, it was straightforward and easy. At the end of it, the interviewer said I was approved and should expect my passport back within 1-2 weeks; no requests for further docs and they seemed to have reviewed the additional docs I had uploaded prior to the interview on the NVC website and commented "ok". Given that, plus the fact that a large proportion of people seem to have had their visa's issued in under a week recently, my wife and I decided to book a holiday. Unfortunately, these are the only dates that she would be able to take in some time. So we booked 20 May to 27 May. That would be about 3 and a half weeks after the interview.

At this point, I'm somewhat worried due to the following points:

Over the last year, I have spent quite a while in the States (221 days in 2020, 79 days in 2021). However, at no point did I overstay my ESTA, nor did I ever lie to CBP. My last trip was close, at 89 days. I wouldn't have thought these would have been flagged as an issue as I always departed at least 15 days before the end of the ESTA, apart from that final trip this year.

When filing my wife's tax return we applied for an ITIN number for me but at no point was that added to any submitted documentation as there weren't any forms that required it. The closest I can find is in the DS-260 where is asks if you ever applied for a SSN; I answered no as we applied for an ITIN, not a SSN. On my wifes tax transcript for 2019, it showed me listed as the spouse with a SSN, so I also uploaded the letter showing that it was an ITIN number issued through the filing of the tax return.

I know it is still early days and has only been 2 weeks, but if they start to hit 3 weeks, is there any possibility from the experiences any of you have seen on these forums of me being able to get my passport back in order to travel (not to the USA), and return it to them after they notify me that the visa is ready to be issued? (I have found a couple of cases of this at other embassies but not London). Also, is it possible the above points could be a cause of the delay, or is it unlikely?

Oh, and on the CEAC status tracker, it still shows as ready and was last updated on 4th May. As for background, we both have completely clean criminal backgrounds, no trips to shifty countries (a trip to the Philippines in 2019 - not sure how the Philippines would be viewed currently by security checks), jobs in healthcare and insurance and a relationship history and travel going back a decade.

Oh the joys and stresses of immigration!

Cheers for any reassurance or advice anyone can offer,
B.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Although the ITIN can be used to file taxes, you should have also applied for a SSN on the DS-260.  The SSN would then replace the ITIN. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
28 minutes ago, bharats said:

I know it is still early days and has only been 2 weeks, but if they start to hit 3 weeks, is there any possibility from the experiences any of you have seen on these forums of me being able to get my passport back in order to travel (not to the USA), and return it to them after they notify me that the visa is ready to be issued?

Yes. You can do that. I have read this UK forum since 2008 and it has been done. If you leave the country, they will have to see your passport after. If you travel to one of the security sensitive countries, your security clearance check will have to start over since it amends travels listed on your visa application (DS-260).

28 minutes ago, bharats said:

Also, is it possible the above points could be a cause of the delay, or is it unlikely?

No. Unlikely. You are mixing IRS issues with State Department visa concerns. How you filed taxes is not something the embassy can review. IRS files are not accessible to DOS. Any visits to the US are likewise not important based on their length. That’s a DHS issue (USCIS and Customs and Border Patrol). The embassy is just looking to see if you meet the requirements for your visa. Your delay is most likely a security issue they have to clear. That’s what 99% of anything beyond a week after interview (or after missing documents are received) is about. They will not tell you what they are checking or how long it will take. 

Sometimes you never figure it out, but few visas are denied in London.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

tax transcripts do show the ITIN which is identified by the 9 that it starts with -not an issue

i hope you marked the part on ds 260 for USCIS to apply for the SS # when you arrive/ otherwise take the passport with CR1 stamp to SS office and apply for one

When you get that SS card ,  notify IRS of the SS # that replaces the ITIN

Thanks all for the replies. It is reassuring that it is more than likely just security checks.

On the DS-260, I did select the option to apply for a SSN. As noted, as soon as I receive the SSN, I'll be notifying the IRS to ensure they make the corrections / changes / links needed.

Good to know in regards to getting the passport;

I assume the only way to ask them is via the contact form on the embassy website (https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv-contact_form/).

Any use in even trying to email them at the email they use for document submissions?

Cheers,

B.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
21 minutes ago, bharats said:

Good to know in regards to getting the passport;

I assume the only way to ask them is via the contact form on the embassy website (https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv-contact_form/).

Any use in even trying to email them at the email they use for document submissions?

The contact form is a good way to get through to the immigrant visa unit to make a request.  I am not really familiar with the document submission email or who monitors that one. It could all be the same blokes. I just don’t know. Hopefully your status changes to issued shortly and the  suspense will be over for you. 

Edited by Wuozopo

6 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The contact form is a good way to get through to the immigrant visa unit to make a request.  I am not really familiar with the document submission email or who monitors that one. It could all be the same blokes. I just don’t know. Hopefully your status changes to issued shortly and the  suspense will be over for you. 

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll drop them a message via the form in the morning and see what comes of it.

Much appreciated,

B.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 5/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, bharats said:

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll drop them a message via the form in the morning and see what comes of it.

Much appreciated,

B.

did you get much of a response after contacting them? We've gotten one response that they didn't seem to understand the question but that was pre-interview. 

We are day 14 since the last touch so just trying to figure out your timeline or if any good came from the messaging. 

1 hour ago, ArkansasExile said:

did you get much of a response after contacting them? We've gotten one response that they didn't seem to understand the question but that was pre-interview. 

We are day 14 since the last touch so just trying to figure out your timeline or if any good came from the messaging. 

Hiya,

I emailed them asking them if I could have my passport back on the 17th if they haven't issued the visa. They replied a couple of days after saying to contact them after May 17th (3 week mark) if I hadn't received tracking details for my passport. So I emailed on Monday 17th again to follow up, but have yet to hear anything back again. The tracker hasn't had an updated date since May 4th.

I am following your case and @AHA119's case as well since we have vaguely similar timelines.

I hope your mum is doing okay post-op, and hopefully you get a positive outcome from the embassy ASAP!

B.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, bharats said:

Hiya,

I emailed them asking them if I could have my passport back on the 17th if they haven't issued the visa. They replied a couple of days after saying to contact them after May 17th (3 week mark) if I hadn't received tracking details for my passport. So I emailed on Monday 17th again to follow up, but have yet to hear anything back again. The tracker hasn't had an updated date since May 4th.

I am following your case and @AHA119's case as well since we have vaguely similar timelines.

I hope your mum is doing okay post-op, and hopefully you get a positive outcome from the embassy ASAP!

B.

Thanks B - I've been stalking the boards for anyone with remotely similar timelines.

Appreciate your kind words ... hopefully soon for you too. Her post-op seems to be okay so so far so we'll take it.

Thanks for your updated timeline ... I'd try the same if they were able to fly directly in but I think we'll be waiting it out.

16 minutes ago, bharats said:

Hiya,

B.

Hi!!

@ArkansasExile  i am prt of a facebook group for those immigrating (spouse) to USA from UK  

one of the ladies shared a similar situation her interview was last wednesday and her passport was issued today. 

however she didnt upload her birth certificate she posted it via DX Group. I printed out what i needed and posted it today to the embassy with hopes it helps them to process it using DXGroup. 

although they requested me to upload it. I never got a response from the embassy. I messaged them on 18th. So i posted it. Fingers crossed. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, AHA119 said:

Hi!!

@ArkansasExile  i am prt of a facebook group for those immigrating (spouse) to USA from UK  

one of the ladies shared a similar situation her interview was last wednesday and her passport was issued today. 

however she didnt upload her birth certificate she posted it via DX Group. I printed out what i needed and posted it today to the embassy with hopes it helps them to process it using DXGroup. 

although they requested me to upload it. I never got a response from the embassy. I messaged them on 18th. So i posted it. Fingers crossed. 

Eugh. My parents were told to use DX and send it in. The checklist said a certified copy so we sent and uploaded that ... they were fine with it but wanted an original on the day of the interview which we didn't have. 

That plus the medical being out of order. 

Hopefully that helps you get it to them and they'll whizz you thru ... 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.