lb119397

Police Clearance

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hello - Does anyone have experience obtaining a police clearance certificate from Costa Rica while residing elsewhere? 

My fiancé is Nicaraguan and lived in Costa Rica for three years after age 16. I am aware that, for his K-1 interview, he will need a police clearance letter from Costa Rica in addition to the one from Nicaragua. I contacted the Costa Rican consulate in Nicaragua to find out how to obtain it. I was informed that, while he can request it from the consulate, he will need to have someone in Costa Rica pick it up for him, but the issue is that he does not have anyone in Costa Rica who can do this for him. Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer advice on what to do in this case?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, lb119397 said:

Hello - Does anyone have experience obtaining a police clearance certificate from Costa Rica while residing elsewhere? 

My fiancé is Nicaraguan and lived in Costa Rica for three years after age 16. I am aware that, for his K-1 interview, he will need a police clearance letter from Costa Rica in addition to the one from Nicaragua. I contacted the Costa Rican consulate in Nicaragua to find out how to obtain it. I was informed that, while he can request it from the consulate, he will need to have someone in Costa Rica pick it up for him, but the issue is that he does not have anyone in Costa Rica who can do this for him. Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer advice on what to do in this case?

This is everything from the department of state.   The last sentence below gives you the answer you want

Police Certificates

Available

Fees:  A fee may be charged for this service.

Document Name:  Certificado de antecedentes penales para trámites internacionales

Issuing Authority: Judicial Registry in San José

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  The document must have the raised seal from the Judicial Registry.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title.

Registration Criteria: The Costa Rican police certificate is issued to applicants who are 18 years of age or older.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The document may only be requested by the applicant. The address of the Judicial Registry is the following: Edificio Anexo A, Poder Judicial, primer piso, avenida 6, calle 19, costado norte del OIJ. Days and hours of operation: Monday through Friday from 7:30a.m. to 12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. to 4:30p.m.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available.

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions:  None

Comments:  The Costa Rican police certificate will show formal criminal convictions, but will not show current investigations or other encounters with law enforcement.  Individuals may request records from the Ministerio de Seguridad for history on police interactions, and information from the Ministerio de Justicia y Paz for records from the prison system.  There are no established standard procedures to obtain certification or copies; it is subject to the Ministerial Authority placed by the current government.  The “Certificacion de Antecedentes” is generally issued the same day it is requested and has a validity of three months. Applicants residing abroad should contact the nearest Costa Rican Consulate to request a police certificate. 

YMMV

Timeline
35 minutes ago, payxibka said:

This is everything from the department of state.   The last sentence below gives you the answer you want

Police Certificates

Available

Fees:  A fee may be charged for this service.

Document Name:  Certificado de antecedentes penales para trámites internacionales

Issuing Authority: Judicial Registry in San José

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  The document must have the raised seal from the Judicial Registry.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title.

Registration Criteria: The Costa Rican police certificate is issued to applicants who are 18 years of age or older.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The document may only be requested by the applicant. The address of the Judicial Registry is the following: Edificio Anexo A, Poder Judicial, primer piso, avenida 6, calle 19, costado norte del OIJ. Days and hours of operation: Monday through Friday from 7:30a.m. to 12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. to 4:30p.m.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available.

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions:  None

Comments:  The Costa Rican police certificate will show formal criminal convictions, but will not show current investigations or other encounters with law enforcement.  Individuals may request records from the Ministerio de Seguridad for history on police interactions, and information from the Ministerio de Justicia y Paz for records from the prison system.  There are no established standard procedures to obtain certification or copies; it is subject to the Ministerial Authority placed by the current government.  The “Certificacion de Antecedentes” is generally issued the same day it is requested and has a validity of three months. Applicants residing abroad should contact the nearest Costa Rican Consulate to request a police certificate. 

Thank you, and contacting the consulate is what I already did, but they said they don’t issue it there and he needs to either go to Costa Rica, or have someone there to pick it up. He cannot go and he does not have anyone there, unfortunately. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Did you figure out a solution? If he has a few days he can hop on taca or tica bus or send him some $$ for someone to drive him to CR. The border isn't closed anymore I think you probably still need negative covid tests. A bit more complicated to cross borders but not impossible.

I Certainly hope you figure something out!

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

Timeline
22 hours ago, YecaCruz said:

Did you figure out a solution? If he has a few days he can hop on taca or tica bus or send him some $$ for someone to drive him to CR. The border isn't closed anymore I think you probably still need negative covid tests. A bit more complicated to cross borders but not impossible.

I Certainly hope you figure something out!

No real solution yet, but we are considering options. He would need a visa to travel to CR and as far as I have heard, they have several requirements in order to enter CR. I am hopeful that everything will work out in the end. Thank you for your well wishes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.