Ani_B

Updating Social Security Card after Conditional GC Received - To post documents and application or attend a physical appointment at SSN office?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'd just like to ask for an opinion on what I should do and whether anyone can share their experiences?

Basically, my Conditional Residency GC will arrive soon and I will need to update my SSN card to reflect my change of name and remove the part where it says I am not authorized to work. Obviously, due to Covid there are changes at offices and they only allow you to either book an appointment for the future ( I have had to book one where the earliest date was May 18!) or you can post your documents out to them and they can do it that way - there appears to be a 2-4 week processing time for this.

My issue with posting documents out is that they appear to only accept original documents and it can take 2-4 weeks. They also seem to only accept company issued certified copies, and no notarized copies. So if I do send stuff by post, that would mean sending out my actual green card and being without it for 2-4 weeks, as well as any other identification documents they require. On the UCIS site, it states that once you have a GC you are lawfully meant to have it in your posession at all times. However, SSN services are also ran by the government and if they ask for things, I need to provide it.

Has anyone updated their SSN by post? How quickly did you get your documents back? Also, what is the worst that can happen if I don't have my GC on me ( but a valid explanation as to why - which I feel this is )? I know I have a physical appointment booked, but that means delaying a job search for another several months and time is precious.

Would it be advisable to post out my change of name application for my card by post (if it works out the faster method) and hope for a speedy return of my documents, or should I just wait until May 18th for my physical appointment, where I am assuming they will just make their own photocopies of my original documents there and then and hand them straight back to me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your time!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ani_B said:

Hi everyone, I'd just like to ask for an opinion on what I should do and whether anyone can share their experiences?

Basically, my Conditional Residency GC will arrive soon and I will need to update my SSN card to reflect my change of name and remove the part where it says I am not authorized to work. Obviously, due to Covid there are changes at offices and they only allow you to either book an appointment for the future ( I have had to book one where the earliest date was May 18!) or you can post your documents out to them and they can do it that way - there appears to be a 2-4 week processing time for this.

My issue with posting documents out is that they appear to only accept original documents and it can take 2-4 weeks. They also seem to only accept company issued certified copies, and no notarized copies. So if I do send stuff by post, that would mean sending out my actual green card and being without it for 2-4 weeks, as well as any other identification documents they require. On the UCIS site, it states that once you have a GC you are lawfully meant to have it in your posession at all times. However, SSN services are also ran by the government and if they ask for things, I need to provide it.

Has anyone updated their SSN by post? How quickly did you get your documents back? Also, what is the worst that can happen if I don't have my GC on me ( but a valid explanation as to why - which I feel this is )? I know I have a physical appointment booked, but that means delaying a job search for another several months and time is precious.

Would it be advisable to post out my change of name application for my card by post (if it works out the faster method) and hope for a speedy return of my documents, or should I just wait until May 18th for my physical appointment, where I am assuming they will just make their own photocopies of my original documents there and then and hand them straight back to me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your time!

I had to send my original EAD twice to get my name changed via usps. First time they denied after 1 month, second time they approved after 2 weeks. If you have an appointment, just wait for it. 

I did not want to risk losing my green card by mailing it out so I insisted they give me an appointment.

The SSA website actually says (albeit under benefits) that you should NOT mail lawful presence documents (ie your green card!) to them and should instead get an appointment.

I am a non-citizen and Social Security says they need to see my DHS lawful presence documents to pay my benefits. Should I mail them to my local office?

Date: December 22, 2020

No. Do not mail any DHS lawful presence documents to SSA. If they are needed, your local office will contact you to possibly schedule an appointment to review and certify your original documentation.

As for consequences of not having your green card if a situation comes up and you have to show it... well... the law itself says 

(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties

Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

I don't know what the other risks are in different scenarios (perhaps detention while they validate you're legal?).

You'll also want to consider that it'll cost $540 to get a replacement green card if it's lost, and you could be waiting months for a replacement to arrive with only your receipt letter on hand to prove your status.

Honestly I'd just go for the appointment. Following my appointment my new social security card was in my mailbox in less than a week. I was only parted from my green card and other documents for like 5 minutes while they made their own copies within my sight.

Edited by yoda one for me

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

My wife got her GC just before SSA shut down for Covid.  We will never mail her green card to SSA except perhaps after it expires and her N-400 has been filed.   By that time her gc is close to useless and the risk will be worth it.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.