RadChan

Waited over 3 months and still no perm. res. card received?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I moved to NYC from the UK on a CR-1 visa on November 25th, 2020. I've been waiting patiently for my green card and it hasn't arrived yet. It has been over 100 days already (I believe 90 is the stated maximum) and I noticed the passport version of my visa expires on April 25th so I am starting to get concerned. We moved to a new address last month, and I registered the change with the USCIS, and even checked mail at the old place after for a few weeks but nothing!

I have tried calling, it is just an automated service telling me to register online any query. I tried doing that, and it won't let me login without an "online access code" an a message that says this was on the letter you received for logging a paper file (I'm pretty sure ours was all electronic and I certainly received no letter or access code!) Am I looking in the wrong place?

I paid the fee online 4 days before leaving the UK, and have the receipt to prove it. 

Time is running out an I am panicking a bit. I just don't know how to definitely login to check things or speak to a human without being sent in circles by the automated system. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing? Does it usually take this long?

TIA!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
29 minutes ago, RadChan said:

Time is running out an I am panicking a bit. I just don't know how to definitely login to check things or speak to a human without being sent in circles by the automated system. Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing? Does it usually take this long?

Your passport would have received an I-551 endorsement at POE good for one year. That’s proof of being a permanent resident. That can get you a driver license, allow you to work, or reentered the US from abroad just like the plastic card. You have until November to chase down your greencard. Whew!

Edited by Wuozopo

Just now, Wuozopo said:

Your passport would have received an I-551 endorsement at POE good for one year. That’s proof of being a permanent resident. That can get you a driver license, allow you to work, or reentered the US from abroad jus like the plastic card. You have until November to chase down your greencard. Whew!

Oh, thank goodness! I realised the date on the passport visa was probably just for the initial entry to the US (but I wasn't hanging around, lol!) 

Thanks for the reassurance, I was worrying that I was going to inadvertently become illegal, glad to know I don'T need to worry about that yet 😬😆

I've been reading some posts on here and it seems completely arbitrary whether people get their physical card within a few weeks or many months later. It is frustrating but at least it sounds like it isn't only me!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, RadChan said:

I have tried calling, it is just an automated service telling me to register online any query. I tried doing that, and it won't let me login without an "online access code" an a message that says this was on the letter you received for logging a paper file (I'm pretty sure ours was all electronic and I certainly received no letter or access code!) Am I looking in the wrong place?

I paid the fee online 4 days before leaving the UK, and have the receipt to prove it. 

Hello,

Go here to check the status of your greencard:  https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Enter the receipt number (IOE plus 9 digit number).

My wife also entered on Nov 25.  USCIS mailed the card to us on Dec 30.  We were one of the lucky ones that got ours relatively quickly.  But I payed the fee months in advance, in September.  I do not know if this had any affect.

The bottom of the CR1 visa in your passport should read "upon endorsement, serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year."

6 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hello,

Go here to check the status of your greencard:  https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Enter the receipt number (IOE plus 9 digit number).

My wife also entered on Nov 25.  USCIS mailed the card to us on Dec 30.  We were one of the lucky ones that got ours relatively quickly.  But I payed the fee months in advance, in September.  I do not know if this had any affect.

The bottom of the CR1 visa in your passport should read "upon endorsement, serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year."

Ooh, thanks for this! I did try to use that link but it is only telling me about my (first - I-130) case approval (April 21st 2020) and nothing about the green card, unfortunately :(

I think I will try to call again tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm glad you had a smoother experience with your wife's card!

2 hours ago, RadChan said:

The email receipt notification should have a newer IOE number. Use that number to check the card status.

1 hour ago, RadChan said:

Oh, thank goodness! I realised the date on the passport visa

Immigrant_Visa_CBP_endorsement.jpg

“UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

21 minutes ago, HRQX said:

The email receipt notification should have a newer IOE number. Use that number to check the card status.

“UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

Thanks, I will see if I can find that one!

And - no worries - I figured that out after Wuozupo's post above and then noticed that line myself. The expiry date is why I was confused but that is expiry for entry, I realised!

1 minute ago, RadChan said:

Thanks, I will see if I can find that one!

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-fees/uscis-immigrant-fee/uscis-immigrant-fee-payment-guide

Receive confirmation of your payment.

• Once your payment is complete, you will be directed to the “Confirmation” page. We encourage you to print a copy of this page for your records.
  • From here, you can pay for additional immigrants, return to the USCIS homepage, or exit your browser.
  • You will receive a payment confirmation from ELISdonotreply@uscis.dhs.gov with the subject “Pay.gov Payment Confirmation: Immigrant Visa.”
  • The email will include your receipt number beginning with the letters IOE. We encourage you to save this email for your records.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
34 minutes ago, RadChan said:

Ooh, thanks for this! I did try to use that link but it is only telling me about my (first - I-130) case approval (April 21st 2020) and nothing about the green card, unfortunately :(

I think I will try to call again tomorrow and see what happens.

I'm glad you had a smoother experience with your wife's card!

Enter the receipt number from the $220 greencard fee, not the original I-130 case number.

Thanks for your help, everyone! I have found the correct number, now. And it said it was delivered to my OLD address on Feb 26th - despite changing my address at the beginning of February 😄  Holy poop, and I thought Royal Mail was rubbish for taking 5 days to deliver one of my letters, 3+ weeks for USPS really takes the cake! 

Well, I guess we had better get in touch with our old landlady and see if she will let us check the mailbox. What a pain! But at least it's...somewhere‽ lol

16 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Enter the receipt number from the $220 greencard fee, not the original I-130 case number.

Omg i was going crazy. Thanks for posting this.

To the OP, ive had much better luck using the Emma chat function to transfer me to what claims to be a human than on the phone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.