Shypinay

Affidavit of support for I-130

4 posts in this topic

Became a naturalized citizen last month. I would like to petition my daughter (16 yrs old) who is in the

Philippines. I'm a single mom who works but  don't meet the 125% poverty guideline income.

My situation and question can be complicated. I am divorced, and my ex is willing to sign an affidavit

of support to co-sponsor my daughter's petition. This is where it gets complicated.  He was convicted

of inappropriate conduct (attempt lewdness) on 2014 on my daughter when she was 9.  So I decided

then to move her to the Philippines. He finished probation 2015. My ex is not on the sex offender registry,

but a convicted felon. Will he be able to file an affidavit of support to co-sponsor me? Thanks for any replies.

If your daughter arrives before she turns 18, which she should if you file IR2 now, you won’t need an affidavit of support. This is because (assuming you have or will have custody of her) she will automatically become a citizen as soon as she enters with her immigrant visa under INA320. If you look at the instructions for i864 affidavit of support they specifically say such a case is exempted from needing one.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, Shypinay said:

Became a naturalized citizen last month. I would like to petition my daughter (16 yrs old) who is in the

Philippines. I'm a single mom who works but  don't meet the 125% poverty guideline income.

My situation and question can be complicated. I am divorced, and my ex is willing to sign an affidavit

of support to co-sponsor my daughter's petition. This is where it gets complicated.  He was convicted

of inappropriate conduct (attempt lewdness) on 2014 on my daughter when she was 9.  So I decided

then to move her to the Philippines. He finished probation 2015. My ex is not on the sex offender registry,

but a convicted felon. Will he be able to file an affidavit of support to co-sponsor me? Thanks for any replies.

Don't you wonder what his motivation would be to make such an offer....?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
On 2/12/2021 at 1:28 PM, Shypinay said:

As long as your daughter immigrates to the US before age 18, she would not need an affidavit of support because she would automatically become a US citizen.  File the I-130 as soon as you can.

Why would you let him have anything to do with your daughter?   Hasn't he caused her enough harm?  Keep her away from him.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.