KingJames234

DUI Arrest and N400

14 posts in this topic

Hello All,

This might have been discussed before but please I need your opinion. Early in 2017, I got arrested for a DUI and the case was reduced to reckless driving. I was asked to pay a fine and a suspended imposition of sentence was granted by the judge and no conviction was entered and no probation or suspension of driver’s license. Later that year I filled for I-485 and got my Two year GC in early 2018 and I have my I-751 (10 years GC) approved late last year as well. 

Fast forward to 2021 I have my N400 interview coming up in a few days and I am using the 3 year rule (still married to a US citizen) will this pose a problem? I filled that I have been arrested in the N400 form and I have all court documents. I took a  12 hours alcohol class on my own and I have the certificate. 

Please I will appreciate any inputs or cautions. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 hours ago, KingJames234 said:

Hello All,

This might have been discussed before but please I need your opinion. Early in 2017, I got arrested for a DUI and the case was reduced to reckless driving. I was asked to pay a fine and a suspended imposition of sentence was granted by the judge and no conviction was entered and no probation or suspension of driver’s license. Later that year I filled for I-485 and got my Two year GC in early 2018 and I have my I-751 (10 years GC) approved late last year as well. 

Fast forward to 2021 I have my N400 interview coming up in a few days and I am using the 3 year rule (still married to a US citizen) will this pose a problem? I filled that I have been arrested in the N400 form and I have all court documents. I took a  12 hours alcohol class on my own and I have the certificate. 

Please I will appreciate any inputs or cautions. 

You still have a Arrest on file and make sure you have two things for immigration officer court disposition and police report. Remember you were booked for DUI so the uscis can still use that against you. If you would have waited from the three years your case was dismissed it would have not been a problem. For good moral character they can go back three years from the date you file based on married to a us citizen. Hopefully you will be ok since you got reckless driving but if it is in statutory period, its upto immigration officer.Good luck and hopefully you will have a positive outcome.

11 hours ago, Fahad86 said:

You still have a Arrest on file and make sure you have two things for immigration officer court disposition and police report. Remember you were booked for DUI so the uscis can still use that against you. If you would have waited from the three years your case was dismissed it would have not been a problem. For good moral character they can go back three years from the date you file based on married to a us citizen. Hopefully you will be ok since you got reckless driving but if it is in statutory period, its upto immigration officer.Good luck and hopefully you will have a positive outcome.

Thanks for the response. The case was concluded / dismissed May 25th 2017. I filed for citizenship Nov 2020. I guess that is more than 3 years. 

Edited by KingJames234

Timeline
1 minute ago, KingJames234 said:

Thanks for the response. The case was concluded May 25th 2017. I filed for citizenship Nov 2020. I guess that is more than 3 years. 

Yeah its outside statutory period. let us know how the interview went i dont think so you will have a problem.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, KingJames234 said:

Okay thank you I will do so. It is about 3 years, 5 months, 15 days. I have the police report and court disposition.

Yeah you should be fine. They normally go back three years from the date you filed your N400 application. Just show the case disposition to the officer, that will satisfy him if he ask police report then you can give the police report. Normally after court disposition they dont ask anything but court disposition is suppose to be court certified so make sure of that. by meaning court certified original.

Edited by Fahad86

5 hours ago, Fahad86 said:

Yeah you should be fine. They normally go back three years from the date you filed your N400 application. Just show the case disposition to the officer, that will satisfy him if he ask police report then you can give the police report. Normally after court disposition they dont ask anything but court disposition is suppose to be court certified so make sure of that. by meaning court certified original.

Yes I have the court disposition. I also have traffic citations I had before my first green card I have the receipts to show I paid in full as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.