eckoin

Has anyone started a new job with an extension letter?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, sweetadams said:

I think you should schedule an appointment with your local SSA office. Some do accept appointment provided you are going to follow COVID protocol. I got an appointment last year Sept, went with all documents and had no issue. I know this depends on local field office. It is worth a shot than sending your documents over to them.

Nop. This doesn’t qualify as an emergency so no in person appt. My worst part is that I live in a small state so they don’t even know what a green card is. So frustrating 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, ra0010 said:

Could you ask them if you could include a certified pre paid envelope? You know. So at least you could have a tracking number. I also asked them if they have a drop off thing where I could take them in person/ pick them up and they said no. Uuuuugh

All right guys, here's where we are: 

1. Called the main SSA line.  Rep was very nice, a bit confused ("why don't you just send the Canadian passport and that's it?  Oh yeah, I guess it needs to be a U.S. passport").  He told me that based on the POMS section quoted earlier in the thread, the first person I spoke to in my local office appears to be misinformed, and to call them back. 

2. Called my local SSA office.  Notes: 

* No in-person appointments; my local office only does those for people with work visas who don't have an SSN at all.  Some other offices also have disability services, case-by-case.  Not for our case, ultimately.

* They have their own in-house notary service, and they 100% need originals.  No ifs or buts, must be originals. 

* Turnaround, at least at my local office, is: (1) receive envelope; (2) don't touch it for 3 days (COVID), (3) open envelope, in-house notary certification, scan originals, mail back - then deal with the request. 

* Told to include a detailed manifest of all documents I am sending and an explanation of my situation and what I'm asking for. 

* Told that it's not a bad idea to include the POMS section just in case, noted earlier in the thread: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025 (thanks @HRQX!)

* Told that normally, they can use the green card as proof of identity, but because it's expired, they're not allowed to.  So required are: the application form for replacement, expired GC, extension letter, and a government-issued ID.  Apparently I can send in my original Canadian passport as the ID, but advised not to (1. US-issued ID is better, and 2. some ramblings about maybe having to go to Canada because of "the situation", guess they're bored).  I technically have two OR driver's licenses, something about the first one that was sent to me having bad laminate; I asked if I can send them that one even though I technically needed to cut it up, and was told, "it's not like we check with the DMV that it's valid, whatever".  

* Don't need to send the original SSN card with the DHS note, just the things above.

* Asked about including a prepaid certified envelope.  Told that they have an in-house mail room that they use, but if I clearly include in the manifest that I am including a prepaid envelope with a tracking number and to please use it, "I don't see why they wouldn't use it, just makes it easier for them", so take that as you will. 

I guess maybe I'll do it.  Kind of sketchy sending this off into the abyss though, so I don't know.  I also asked if I can notarize copies of the GC & extension letter, and was told absolutely not.  Similarly, asked if I can hand them an envelope and like, pick it up next day or whatever, and was laughed at. 

Edited by eckoin

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh, I did also mention that I have to have the green card + extension letter on me at all times, and received a 2 minute monologue about "my neighbor cop who said that they couldn't care less about immigration issues goshdardnit" so no real unity on what the government wants from us.  Not that I carry that stuff with me at all times anyway, I guess. 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

On 1/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, HRQX said:

A few have reported that they accepted fax. Seems YMMV.

When I posted the above I couldn't quickly find one of the few instances where they have accepted fax, but here is a recent post:

If some offices accept fax then I don't know why they don't accept mailed copies under any circumstances. Or use a more up-to-date method (i.e. online) compared to a fax. Anyways, it seems it can vary per local SSA office.

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.