Hemutian

"Proof of immigration status" for health insurance

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

My wife entered the US on a K1 visa in September 2019, got married, and applied for AOS for my wife in October 2019. 14 months later, still waiting for interview to be scheduled.

In the mean time, need to renew our health insurance for next year.

We live in California and I don't have employer-based insurance, so we go through our state exchange (Covered California).

One of the things required in the Covered California application is "Proof of Immigration Status" for my wife. 

They list several different types of proof (quoted below), but unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe my wife has any of these listed documents because none of them are applicable for K1-to-AOS applicants. My best guess is to select the last choice "Other documents" and upload scanned copies of her AP/EAD card, or the I-797 from her AOS petition. 

Just wondering if any other K1-to-AOS California-based VJers have used Covered California before and what they provided as proof of status.

Thanks

• Current temporary I-551 stamp in a foreign passport with the code AM1, AM2, AM3
    • A refugee admitted to the U.S. under Section 207 of the INA
    • Properly endorsed passport
    • Notice or court order from an Immigration Judge granting parole for at least one year
    • Approved INS form I-130
    • INS form 360 petition filed under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
    • INS form I-797 indicating filing of the I-360 petition
    • INS form I-776 with the code .05
    • INS form I-776 with the code .A10
    • INS form I-551 with the codes CU6, CU7, or CH6
    • Current I-551 stamp on a foreign passport with codes CU6 or CU7
    • INS Form I-220
    • INS Form I-181 Memorandum of Creation of Record of Lawful Permanent Residence
    • Court order establishing the alien's status
    • Individual Fee Register receipt, INS Form G-771 and an Interview Appointment Letter
    • INS Form I-488
    • DD form 214
    • Military identification card if on active duty
    • Current military orders Letter from the Canadian Department of Indian Affairs
    • Birth or baptismal record issued on a Canadian Indian Reservation INS form I-551 with the code AM6, AM7, or AM8
    • Other documents to support Proof of Immigration Status

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I-797 NOA should do the job. Just did this a month ago for a friend. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.