Jot18

OCI Guide(Updated 15th Dec 2020)

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
17 hours ago, Jot18 said:

You don't need to send Indian PP. Send copies for first three and last three. And you should have got a surrender certificate when you cancelled your Indian PP so send that as well.

Agree. Hope you have completed the first step of 'Renunciation' and got the certificate.  You will need to send copies of the Renunciation certificate and cancelled passport. 

1 hour ago, RickyMIndia said:

Agree. Hope you have completed the first step of 'Renunciation' and got the certificate.  You will need to send copies of the Renunciation certificate and cancelled passport. 

Thanks. Yes, I have completed my renunciation step . I also called VFS helpline and they confirmed that original Indian Passport is not required. Copies are sufficient.

2 hours ago, RickyMIndia said:

I went through the OCI process last year. My marriage certificate also has the date of marriage and date of registration as two different dates. I put the date of registration as asked in the marriage registration date.  They accepted it and I got everything done. 

I think since OCI application is not on basis of spouse, it matters less in general. But if someone is getting OCI on basis of spouse being Indian origin then these fields will matter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Heads up each embassy mission has different process

Check the OCI site for instructions for each mission, they may differ slightly.

Houston

They do OCI and Renunciation of Indian Citizenship in the same application. They just keep the passport and the Renunciation of Indian Citizenship certificate with them till they get the OCI Card back

We did it here.

California

I remember reading here that CA requires you to do it as two separate process (that means double the shipping fees)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Does anyone know their 1800 number?  The one I called is pointless they never pick up.  I was trying to find out if I need to renew my OCI, since I first obtained it when I turned 16 and had to renew my passport when I turned 26.  I know their site says if you renew your passport below 20 or above 50 years old you have to renew your OCI, so I assume I don't have to renew it.  

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, Jot18 said:

This is a guide for OCI application process.

Step 1: Complete the basic questionnaire on this Link for OCI. After completing the questionnaire, it will show you the fees and click proceed. Then it will ask you to make an account for VFS website. After creating the account, check your email and activate the account. After activating the account, you are done with VFS.

Step 2: Go ahead and fill out the application on this LinkAfter you are done with application, review it then click submit. After that, it will ask you to upload a digital photo and signature. Click “Yes I am ready with the image.” The passport size photo that you will be sending with application must be uploaded here at this step. Also sign your name on a blank piece of paper and scan that as well and upload it at this step. Make sure to crop the signature so its fits in the box. Then, click “I have uploaded successfully” and proceed to complete the questionnaire by clicking “Proceed to Part-B”.

Step 3: After completing the questionnaire, click “Submit” and it will take you to a page where you must upload the mandatory documents in a pdf format. After you are done uploading click “Final Submit” and click “Generate Registration” and save that pdf.

Step 4: Go back to VFS website and Login. After logging in, Click “Create New Application” and fill out the form. I strongly recommend using online payment as its instant but it does come with a 3.5% charge. Then click “Add Customer” and fill out the form and submit. OCI Govt Reference Number was given at the end of the OCI application. Then Select the shipping method. I recommend VFS offered courier service as you’ll get the labels right away. Go ahead and put your address on the next page and pay the fees.

Step 5: After paying the fees, you will be given a checklist and receipt number. Make sure you print out the whole document which should be around 7 pages. Read through the checklist thoroughly and sign it then mail your application.

You must apply for renunciation of Indian Citizenship prior to filling out your OCI application.

Note: Do not affix any photos on the application. Just send 2 passport size photos with the application. Do not forget to include a prepaid label or $15 money order/cashier check for the return of your US Passport.

I hope I cleared all the confusions. If there is anything else that someone would like to add please post below

Hey I had a question regarding submission of renunciation certificate documents. I am stuck  at filling the renunciation certificate. Some of the fields dont allow me to fill them. Did you face the issue? Precisely the fields before the signature of the applicant.

renunciation-certificate-fillable-form.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 2:19 AM, MK_87 said:

Hey I had a question regarding submission of renunciation certificate documents. I am stuck  at filling the renunciation certificate. Some of the fields dont allow me to fill them. Did you face the issue? Precisely the fields before the signature of the applicant.

renunciation-certificate-fillable-form.pdf 42.4 kB · 2 downloads

I bet you are having issues with fields other than phone number and it looks like all the fields have a validation to take only 10 characters (phone number validation). When you go through the VFS application process, they auto generate this based on the data entered in the last screen. So, you can ignore the fillable form.

Also, in my experience this auto generated form is also not used as-is. An entirely different formatted form is printed by CGI with information from the govt application and is used as the surrender certificate and sent back to you.... Just got mine last week and sent my OCI application yesterday :)

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/15/2021 at 1:34 PM, vickykgp said:

For applying OCI Do we need to send our US passport?

Nope..As of April 12, 2021. Not required. 

Screenshot_20210903-165936_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 1 year later...
Timeline
14 hours ago, Immi_Matter said:

Hi @Jot18 Thank you for detailed steps on OCI. I became a US citizen recently. 

Can I apply for OCI a few days after submitting renunciation application?  Wondering if I need renunciation certificate copy for OCI application. 

What was the processing time for your citizenship renunciation and OCI?

You need to wait until you get certificate back. Because you need to attach renunciation certificate copy. I became US citizen back in 2015 and got the tourist visa. I only applied for OCI in 2020 because of the visa ban. I applied for my uncle recently beginning of oct and he just got his OCI 2 days ago.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

05/29/2014: Applied for I-90, Due to an Name Error.

06/12/2014: Biometrics Appointment

02/13/2015: Green Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

02/20/2015: Green Card Has Been Mailed.(Received Tracking Number)

02/23/2015: Green Card Received With Correct Name

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

01/15/2015 = N-400 Packet Delivered

01/27/2015 = I-912 Approved

02/02/2015 = NOA1 Received (Priority Date 01/15/2015)

02/07/2015 = Biometrics Letter Received (Bio Set for 02/20/2015)

02/25/2015 = In Line for Interview

04/03/2015 = Interview Completed

--- = Oath Letter Received

04/15/2015 = Oath Ceremony!

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

06/02/2020 - Filed I-130 Online

06/02/2020 - NOA1 Received

07/01/2020 - Back to U.S from India 

01/11/2021 - NOA2 Received & Petition Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.