Jot18

OCI Guide(Updated 15th Dec 2020)

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

This is a guide for OCI application process.

Step 1: Complete the basic questionnaire on this Link for OCI. After completing the questionnaire, it will show you the fees and click proceed. Then it will ask you to make an account for VFS website. After creating the account, check your email and activate the account. After activating the account, you are done with VFS.

Step 2: Go ahead and fill out the application on this LinkAfter you are done with application, review it then click submit. After that, it will ask you to upload a digital photo and signature. Click “Yes I am ready with the image.” The passport size photo that you will be sending with application must be uploaded here at this step. Also sign your name on a blank piece of paper and scan that as well and upload it at this step. Make sure to crop the signature so its fits in the box. Then, click “I have uploaded successfully” and proceed to complete the questionnaire by clicking “Proceed to Part-B”.

Step 3: After completing the questionnaire, click “Submit” and it will take you to a page where you must upload the mandatory documents in a pdf format. After you are done uploading click “Final Submit” and click “Generate Registration” and save that pdf.

Step 4: Go back to VFS website and Login. After logging in, Click “Create New Application” and fill out the form. I strongly recommend using online payment as its instant but it does come with a 3.5% charge. Then click “Add Customer” and fill out the form and submit. OCI Govt Reference Number was given at the end of the OCI application. Then Select the shipping method. I recommend VFS offered courier service as you’ll get the labels right away. Go ahead and put your address on the next page and pay the fees.

Step 5: After paying the fees, you will be given a checklist and receipt number. Make sure you print out the whole document which should be around 7 pages. Read through the checklist thoroughly and sign it then mail your application.

You must apply for renunciation of Indian Citizenship prior to filling out your OCI application.

Note: Do not affix any photos on the application. Just send 2 passport size photos with the application. Do not forget to include a prepaid label or $15 money order/cashier check for the return of your US Passport.

I hope I cleared all the confusions. If there is anything else that someone would like to add please post below

Edited by Jot18

I-90 Green Card Timeline

05/29/2014: Applied for I-90, Due to an Name Error.

06/12/2014: Biometrics Appointment

02/13/2015: Green Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

02/20/2015: Green Card Has Been Mailed.(Received Tracking Number)

02/23/2015: Green Card Received With Correct Name

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

01/15/2015 = N-400 Packet Delivered

01/27/2015 = I-912 Approved

02/02/2015 = NOA1 Received (Priority Date 01/15/2015)

02/07/2015 = Biometrics Letter Received (Bio Set for 02/20/2015)

02/25/2015 = In Line for Interview

04/03/2015 = Interview Completed

--- = Oath Letter Received

04/15/2015 = Oath Ceremony!

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

06/02/2020 - Filed I-130 Online

06/02/2020 - NOA1 Received

07/01/2020 - Back to U.S from India 

01/11/2021 - NOA2 Received & Petition Approved

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

NOA 1 ----- June 30th

NOA 2-------- Dec 3

Case sent to NVC ----- Dec 4th

Case received NVC ------- Dec 7th

Case # and IIN received ------ Dec 22nd

AOS fee paid online ------------ Dec 22nd

IV fee paid online --------- Dec 23rd

DS 261 - Dec 23rd - reviewed on the phone.

AOS and IV fee shows as paid - 1/4/16

AOS and IV package sent - 1/6/16

DS 260 completed - 1/8/16

NVC scanned packages - 1/11/16

CC - 2/12/16

Interview Scheduled - 2/26/16

Medical date - 4/13/16

Interview date - 4/14/16 - got approved!!!! :dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

US entry - 4/29/16 or 5/5/16

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I did OCI for myself and for my daughter in 2018 and 2019 and boy it was the most tiresome process. Need to to go government of India website and it will not work sometimes. If you decide to come back and finish it later it will not find your application so had to do it in one go. 

I wish i could get hold of the Einstein who devised this process of going to two different locations and filling up stuff but this has been the most difficult process and paperwork i had to do. 

I will be starting OCI in few weeks (once renunciation certificate comes through) for my wife and really not looking forward to it. 

I needed a nice chilled Beer after sending an application out last time and expect the same this time as well. 🙂

Timeline
55 minutes ago, vkrishn said:

I did OCI for myself and for my daughter in 2018 and 2019 and boy it was the most tiresome process. Need to to go government of India website and it will not work sometimes. If you decide to come back and finish it later it will not find your application so had to do it in one go. 

I wish i could get hold of the Einstein who devised this process of going to two different locations and filling up stuff but this has been the most difficult process and paperwork i had to do. 

I will be starting OCI in few weeks (once renunciation certificate comes through) for my wife and really not looking forward to it. 

I needed a nice chilled Beer after sending an application out last time and expect the same this time as well. 🙂

This one was easy. It took me less than 30 mins for everything. The only trouble I had was at the uploading docs stage as the site wouldn't accept it and had to try it when it was daytime in India due to some server issues.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Jot18 said:

This one was easy. It took me less than 30 mins for everything. The only trouble I had was at the uploading docs stage as the site wouldn't accept it and had to try it when it was daytime in India due to some server issues.

Uploading photo and signature and other docs at government website is still the same. That process needs to be removed and wish it was just VFS to deal with as “one site”. 

checklist is same as CKGS but the issue last time was government website which was patchy at best. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I completed the process for a New OCI just now, but I might have ran into an issue.  After I did the steps on VFS Global's website to submit my OCI request and paid for the courier labels, I only received one courier label which will be used to send the application to the consulate.  I didn't receive the 2nd label which I would include with my package so that the consulate would ship back my US passport.  It never asked me for a round trip shipping fees or just one way.  And on the Application Confirmation Letter, it shows that I paid $30 for a "Round Trip courier" and a $15 fee for "Courier fee (New OCI to return US passport)".  

So when you guys submitted your OCI application, did you only have 1 courier label to ship to the consulate, or did you get a 2nd label to include in the package?

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10747;405/st/20131024/e/NOA2/dt/-1/k/abfd/event.png

Timeline
10 hours ago, sumdesi said:

Hi,

I completed the process for a New OCI just now, but I might have ran into an issue.  After I did the steps on VFS Global's website to submit my OCI request and paid for the courier labels, I only received one courier label which will be used to send the application to the consulate.  I didn't receive the 2nd label which I would include with my package so that the consulate would ship back my US passport.  It never asked me for a round trip shipping fees or just one way.  And on the Application Confirmation Letter, it shows that I paid $30 for a "Round Trip courier" and a $15 fee for "Courier fee (New OCI to return US passport)".  

So when you guys submitted your OCI application, did you only have 1 courier label to ship to the consulate, or did you get a 2nd label to include in the package?

At the time I did mine we used to pay $30 and $15 separate for OCI to ship back. Now I heard it only prints one and charge $45. I think VFS prints label now.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Interesting.  I've emailed VFS on this, but hopefully someone else who has filed recently will be able to confirm sooner whether VFS prints the return label themselves.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10747;405/st/20131024/e/NOA2/dt/-1/k/abfd/event.png

Don't worry guys .Looks like VFS changed the process from Feb 3 to print only one label and return labels and US Passport returns will be printed by them .This is confirmed via a phone call/email with them by some one in another discussion .As usual they didn't update their website on this change and we are all under confusion

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, Jot18 said:

Step 1: Complete the basic questionnaire on this Link for OCI. After completing the questionnaire, it will show you the fees and click proceed. Then it will ask you to make an account for VFS website. After creating the account, check your email and activate the account. After activating the account, you are done with VFS.

Step 2: Go ahead and fill out the application on this LinkAfter you are done with application, review it then click submit. After that, it will ask you to upload a digital photo and signature. Click “Yes I am ready with the image.” The passport size photo that you will be sending with application must be uploaded here at this step. Also sign your name on a blank piece of paper and scan that as well and upload it at this step. Make sure to crop the signature so its fits in the box. Then, click “I have uploaded successfully” and proceed to complete the questionnaire by clicking “Proceed to Part-B”.

Step 3: After completing the questionnaire, click “Submit” and it will take you to a page where you must upload the mandatory documents in a pdf format. After you are done uploading click “Final Submit” and click “Generate Registration” and save that pdf.

Step 4: Go back to VFS website and Login. After logging in, Click “Create New Application” and fill out the form. I strongly recommend using online payment as its instant but it does come with a 3.5% charge. Then click “Add Customer” and fill out the form and submit. OCI Govt Reference Number was given at the end of the OCI application. Then Select the shipping method. I recommend VFS offered courier service as you’ll get the labels right away. Go ahead and put your address on the next page and pay the fees.

Step 5: After paying the fees, you will be given a checklist and receipt number. Make sure you print out the whole document which should be around 7 pages. Read through the checklist thoroughly and sign it then mail your application.

You must apply for renunciation of Indian Citizenship prior to filling out your OCI application.

Note: Do not affix any photos on the application. Just send 2 passport size photos with the application. Do not forget to include a prepaid label or $15 money order/cashier check for the return of your US Passport.

I hope I cleared all the confusions. If there is anything else that someone would like to add please post below

Hi Jot18 - Not sure on your marriage status but if you are married and filed OCI with that status then perhaps you can help with my query here:  For new OCI application, it asks for "Marriage Registration Date". So I am assuming this the date when marriage is registered (as per stated on my marriage certificate) rather than actual marriage date itself. Is that right? I could not find any guidance on VFS website hence checking with this forum. Also it is bit unusual to use this Marriage Registration date on form (never saw it before in any of my visa processes before).

Timeline
8 minutes ago, L1 & L2 said:

Hi Jot18 - Not sure on your marriage status but if you are married and filed OCI with that status then perhaps you can help with my query here:  For new OCI application, it asks for "Marriage Registration Date". So I am assuming this the date when marriage is registered (as per stated on my marriage certificate) rather than actual marriage date itself. Is that right? I could not find any guidance on VFS website hence checking with this forum. Also it is bit unusual to use this Marriage Registration date on form (never saw it before in any of my visa processes before).

I don't have the saved application with me but I believe I entered the marriage date. 

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

On 12/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, Jot18 said:

Sorry to bother you again but this whole OCI process is a mess triggering more questions 😞 Did you submit your canceled Indian passport (original) along with copy of renunciation certificate ? Instructions on checklist are contradicting each other. At one place as Proof of Indian origin, it says "Copy of first three and last two pages of the last-held Indian passport of the applicant. - DON’T SEND ORIGINAL INDIAN PASSPORTS."  And on other hand for "Proof of Renunciation" it says Surrendered Passport along with the copy of the Surrender/Renunciation Certificate must be submitted for Indian passports surrendered after May 2010

So what did you do exactly? And if you indeed submitted original canceled passport then when did you receive it back?

Timeline
3 hours ago, L1 & L2 said:

Sorry to bother you again but this whole OCI process is a mess triggering more questions 😞 Did you submit your canceled Indian passport (original) along with copy of renunciation certificate ? Instructions on checklist are contradicting each other. At one place as Proof of Indian origin, it says "Copy of first three and last two pages of the last-held Indian passport of the applicant. - DON’T SEND ORIGINAL INDIAN PASSPORTS."  And on other hand for "Proof of Renunciation" it says Surrendered Passport along with the copy of the Surrender/Renunciation Certificate must be submitted for Indian passports surrendered after May 2010

So what did you do exactly? And if you indeed submitted original canceled passport then when did you receive it back?

You don't need to send Indian PP. Send copies for first three and last three. And you should have got a surrender certificate when you cancelled your Indian PP so send that as well.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Timeline
On 3/1/2021 at 8:37 PM, L1 & L2 said:

I went through the OCI process last year. My marriage certificate also has the date of marriage and date of registration as two different dates. I put the date of registration as asked in the marriage registration date.  They accepted it and I got everything done. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.