russell

How do i apply for credit now im here ?

67 posts in this topic

it has been 3-4 months now for me to get to ok credit so much quicker than the UK would be. I'm hopeful that in a year or so I will be considered "good" or even "very good". I will continue to open store cards, buying small things and paying off the bill promptly in the hope that the creditors will write nice things on my credit report !!

It's been over a year for me, and I only have a so-so credit, though I've always paid everything on time. I thought my score would grow faster than it does :( I guess, length of credit history matters quite a bit, simply paying bills on time isn't enough... Now I'll just wait for my credit cards to mature and see what happens..

Being fresh out of college, I only have a little more than a year of good credit history. I have been struggling to get accepted for credit, because of both credit history and because I had a late payment on a credit card I had back in high school that I used as overdraft protection. I didn't know anything about credit then, so I wasn't very careful about this. :wacko: That account was closed in 2002 or 2003, but I guess I have to wait two more years until that drops off my report. It still is a struggle now, as I have over a year with no late payments, but I can only get a card with a $300 limit (now raised to $450) and a $50 annual fee. I got offered a better card from my bank a few weeks back, but when I applied, I was again denied. I am hoping my SO will have more luck!

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

01-30-2013 Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox
02-04-2013 Package marked as "Delivered"
02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics
02-25-2013 Inline for Interview

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Absolutely the best way, as others have said, is to be signed up to your US spouse's account as a joint user. Before you know it you will be getting sent '0%' interest no fee credit card apps. Unless your spouse has bad credit there really is no need to be spending money on annual fee credit cards unless you want special air miles memberships etc.

Have a look at Citicard online, they will give you a whole load of comparison cards to take a look at, and try applying for it. I got one no problem. Another route to try is to open up a nice new bank account with a national type of bank (BOA for instance) and then apply for one of their cards.

You can also up your credit rating by taking on monthly contract plans such as cellphone contracts.

Even if you don't need to use a credit card, to get good credit it's a great idea to have a few cards, use them once a month, pay off the balance every month and just keep it ticking over. Unless you are one of those unfortunate creatures who can't stop themselves from buying #######/clothes/gadgets etc etc etc.

I would also strongly suggest opening an ING DIRECT account, a great way to save money and a nice interest rate also.

Suze Orman has some good advice on this stuff, check out her website or borrow one of her books from your local library, it explains everything you need to know to get started on making your credit rating pristine.

Good article on the subject from British Expats here (applies to new immigrants from any country, of course!) :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

My husabnd and I have Visa Debit/ Credit through our bank.

I also applied for a Chase Amazon Card cause you also get Amazon points :thumbs:

Originally the credit was 800, but after the first two regular payments they increased it to 900 (at that point I called them and put a stop to a rise in credit). It has no fees, 0% interest...

I would say the main thing is to think about how you handle credit shopping, if you tend to spend without planning you might be better off going with a secure card just to keep your payments more in control.

Also a good idea might be for you to get a Gas Pump Credit Card if you guys have a regular station you go to. Again, you get points for gas use.

It's not hard to get a credit card here- I would say it's more a matter of knowing yourself and your spending habits.

Naturalized! Yeah!

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks for this thread everyone! i applied today for a Macy's card.. I tried to get my CDN Sears card transferred to the US today, but they won't do it. I've been a customer in Canada for almost 10 years, but they said I have to re-apply in the US and start from scratch all over again. :( GAH!

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the Macy's card...

Just got a letter today from Macy's saying "Insufficient Number of Revolving Accounts" - Ie. you have no credit history.

SO... no credit card for me..

Onto the next option. secured credit card.

LOVERLY!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Thanks for this thread everyone! i applied today for a Macy's card.. I tried to get my CDN Sears card transferred to the US today, but they won't do it. I've been a customer in Canada for almost 10 years, but they said I have to re-apply in the US and start from scratch all over again. :( GAH!

Just got a letter today from Macy's saying "Insufficient Number of Revolving Accounts" - Ie. you have no credit history.

LOVERLY!!

Nice to see they're so consistent in making these decisions - given that I was talked into applying for a card when making a purchase in Macy's (despite my telling the woman I had no credit history here and had only been here about a week at the time - didn't even have an SSN!) and yet when she put the application through it was accepted instantly... sorry you wasted your time applying for nothing, though! :blink:

At least the secured credit card option is bound to be successful... surely! Especially if you apply for one with the bank you have a checking account with already... good luck! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
It seems that having good credit here in the states is much more important than it was in england. Im not sure if this is the right section to post in o appologies if it isnt.

Now im here and im a resident and have a year or so to relax from paperwork, how do i go about applying for a credit card ? ive seen some offers for people with bad credit.. these cards typically take your first born child limb by limb with each payment

I dont have bad credit i have no credit here, but do i still end up in the same bracket as someone who does have bad credit ?

I dont want to pay a bank 120annual fee/99 account setup fee/89 application fee.. totalling nigh on $250.. just to have a card in my wallet, id rather not have one at all..

Anyone had any experience in this department ? im getting placed onto our bank account tomorrow, and our bank manager is a realy nice guy, am i better off seeing what he can do for me ?

Thanks in advance,

Russ

If you know some one with good credit you can ask to be put on as an authorized user after about six months you can apply for your own. this was what I did for my mother and brothers.

Timeline

LOVERLY!!

Nice to see they're so consistent in making these decisions - given that I was talked into applying for a card when making a purchase in Macy's (despite my telling the woman I had no credit history here and had only been here about a week at the time - didn't even have an SSN!) and yet when she put the application through it was accepted instantly... sorry you wasted your time applying for nothing, though! :blink:

At least the secured credit card option is bound to be successful... surely! Especially if you apply for one with the bank you have a checking account with already... good luck! :)

Hey no worries at ALL!! It was worth a shot.. the difference was that I applied online - perhaps that makes a diff? I dunno..

I'll give you the update after I've applied for the secure credit card :):thumbs:

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

I just got authorized for a credit card with $2,500 limit with Bank of America. I've had my checking account with them since 2005 and I have only just received my conditional Green Card. It's not secured or anything. I guess I was just lucky. They didn't ask for proof of income, however, my wages does go directly into my account.

Prior to that I obtained a loan for my car, my husband co-signed at that time.

Hope you don't have too much problems obtaining credit

K1

I-129F Sent : 19th October 2005

Interview Date 10th October 2006 10am

Interview Approved 7th November 2006

Visa delivered 9th November 2006

Finally where I belong S.C with my man 19th November 2006 WOOO HOOO!!!

Got Married 14th January 2007

AOS

Sent AOS docs 31st January 2007

USPS confirm delivered to USCIS 06th February 2007

I-797C Notice of Action dtd 9th Feb recvd 12th February 2007 (both my son and myself)

Biometrics Appointment 1st March 2007

Transfered to CSC 11th April 2007

GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 9th July 2007 All done till 2009!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied and got a Macy's card, just applied online for an Amazon card, they said I couldn't have instant approval, but will let me know in two weeks, Sounds like a NO then!

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Have a look at Citicard online, they will give you a whole load of comparison cards to take a look at, and try applying for it. I got one no problem.

:thumbs:

The amazing thing about Citicard is how they keep giving me money. Over the past 2 years they have been sending me 0% cards. I open them, make one purchase, pay that purchase off immediately, and then I get 10,000 points which transfers into $100 gift card. I then close the account, and they start again offering me another. I've managed to squeeze $500 out of them so far, and OH has $400. I have another $200 in gift cards pending. It is crazy! They keep laying in wait for me to default but haven't worked out that I never will. It has made my credit score rise dramatically too. Amazon also offer money to open (anything from $25-50), then money if you threaten to close (usually another $50).

I came here in 2004, piggybacked on OH's credit and now I have a higher credit rating than him. :wacko:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Be careful with department store credit cards. According to my bank, some of them report a late payment the day after it's due, so it's very easy to compile black marks on your credit report unless you're very diligent.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Applied for a Target card and was....................... you guessed it REJECTED!! Lack of Credit History

My only thought that i can see is this.. I had my SSN since the mid-nineties and perhaps they look at that? I dunno.. grasping at straws, but when Macy's & Target turn ya down.. you know there's not much hope..

My only option now that I can see is a secured credit card which is against everything i believe in. why give a bank MY money to play with?

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

since the first month i came here, i apply and of course the bank didnt approve me, then my husband put me on his account, and they start sending me offers by mail from different banks, a month later i get capital one limit 3000 $, with no annual fee, first year no interest rate, after that 9 %

very good just for the second month being here..... now i m always using it an dpaying back to build my credit

since the first month i came here, i apply and of course the bank didnt approve me, then my husband put me on his account, and they start sending me offers by mail from different banks, a month later i get capital one limit 3000 $, with no annual fee, first year no interest rate, after that 9 %

very good just for the second month being here..... now i m always using it an dpaying back to build my credit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.