russell

How do i apply for credit now im here ?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Good point :)

How long is it until you start receiving offers? I noticed that some people on here receive offers pretty quickly (ok - so they may not be the best ones) - the only mail that is ever addressed to me is from USCIS!! lol

It is more when your credit score reaches a certain level I think, which your having a card from Macys will help, rather than how long you have been here. Or maybe even a mixture of the two, it seems something of a black art.

The first offer I received from Capital One was in June, which I didn't do anything about. Had another one start of this month which I decided to use and had the card with days.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

This kinda covers two topics in one, but here goes. Sorry for the long post.

When I opened my cell phone account, the customer service dept told me I would need to have 3 months worth of on-time payments before they would add the world traveller feature to my account. (Was it with or without a deposit?... I can't remember.) If I wanted it sooner than that they would need a copy of a bill (telephone, utility, etc) with my current name and address, along with some other ID that I can no longer recall. (I think it was my passport ID page and marriage certificate to show the name change.)

A couple of things which I think are noteworthy:

• I had only been here 3 months, at that time, and really hadn't established any credit history.
  • After doing my research on mobile phone service providers, I went in person to the store to purchase my phone and sign a contract with Cingular. Bell Mobility in Canada (my last provider) had recommended them for the type of service I required. There was no deposit required. Either Cingular had a means of tracking my meager credit history in the US or they just do not require deposits at signup. (Or maybe the fact that I mentioned that Bell Mobility recommended them made them all squirmy and happy and they cut me some slack. :lol: )
  • Three months later, AT&T bought Cingular and my husband's contract ended with another provider. (Side note: AT&T has a business arrangement with Rogers in Canada.) We decided to add him to my contract and went online to choose a phone and a plan. After following the link in the confirmation email it said I needed to pay a $500 deposit to add my husband to my account!!!!!
  • I called the toll-free number the next day and spoke to an offshore representative. After telling him the deposit demand was outrageous, he immediately reduced it by half, with an incentive credit of $100 after 3 months. I told him that was unacceptable and to cancel the order. He then reduced the deposit amount to $100 with a $100 incentive credit if I went with another company. I requested a confirmation of my cancellation request and ended the conversation.
  • I called the sales department for my service provider and requested the same service. Not a problem; no deposit required.
  • Lesson learned..... deal directly with a storefront or call the customer service number. Even though I went to the official website for my service provider, the sales link took me out to a multi-vendor middleman area somewhere in the ether. These people were unaware of my established credit history or contract information with Cingular/AT&T. I'm not sure if this would have happened before AT&T took over or not, but I had deliberately avoided that provider due to their poor customer service from offshore outsourcing.
Within 3 months of activating my cell phone account, credit card offers began to trickle in. Now I'm being inundated with them. Junk mail is annoying but at least I know I'm now on the radar.

This is a long way of saying...

1. Three months appears to be the activation point for establishing credit.
  2. Make sure your name is added to any household bills. (phone, utility, etc) This not only allows you to discuss billing or services with that company, it also provides a means to establishing credit or proving a credit history.
  3. Obtain a debit/credit card from your bank when you open or are added to an account.
  4. Go in person to apply for credit or service.
  5. Be wary of online transactions, even if you believe you are dealing with a reputable company.
Hope this is helpful. Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

i keep getting credit card offers in the mail that say that I need to send in a 16 to 20 dollar processing fee.. which I will get back if my card is approved :blink:

there is no way I am sending money before I even get the card... :P

You might almost say that the visa process works the same way.. except you don't get the money back if you are approved.. :blink:

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I was wondering if age has any bearing on one's ability to get credit in the US, or is it simply a case of money talks? The UK credit rating system is draped in mystery, so I've never been able to work that one out here.. seems things are a little more transparent in the US.

1186153754421.jpg

...yeah, I wish!

Timeline:

December 06 - Filed I129F petition with California Service Center

March 07 - Received petition approval notice

April 07 - Applied for Police Certificate through West Midlands police

24 April 07 - Received Packet 3 from London Embassy

1 May 07 - Received receipt for Police Certificate

5 May 07 - Mailed DS-230 Part I, DS-156, DS-156K and DS-157 back to the Embassy

9 May 07 - London Embassy receives forms

9 May 07 - Medical at Bentinck Mansions

1 June 07 - Mailed document checklist

8 June 07 - Received Police Certificate (39 days from receipt)

15 June 07 - Touched by the Embassy

21 June 07 - Interview date confirmed as 10 August 07

22 June 07 - Received Packet 4

10 August 07 - Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!

...wedding date is 3 September 07!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

No I wouldn't think judging from personal experience (I'm 59) age makes a difference.

When you get here it helps if you have a joint bank account and any credit card the USC might already have you get put on as well, as a joint account holder if not as an authorized user. Also get them to put you on any utility bills etc. This helps build up a credit score. When that score gets high enough you will start to get offers yourself.

You have to start from scratch I'm afraid although if you have a nice healthy bank balance your bank is much more user friendly. :D

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just as an update.. my Navy Federal Credit Union sent me an offer in the mail this past weekend. I called this am thinking it's too good to be true, and i GOT APPROVED!!

Wahoo! All i did was open an account with them, and put my paychecks in the account bi-weekly.. they said they are very good at extending credit to people with limited credit history..

I might add this is NOT a secured card!! YIPEE!! *sticking it to the man*

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Just as an update.. my Navy Federal Credit Union sent me an offer in the mail this past weekend. I called this am thinking it's too good to be true, and i GOT APPROVED!!

Wahoo! All i did was open an account with them, and put my paychecks in the account bi-weekly.. they said they are very good at extending credit to people with limited credit history..

I might add this is NOT a secured card!! YIPEE!! *sticking it to the man*

Congrats!! :dance: This is good news.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.