Gawain

CRBA concurrent with I-130 ?

108 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Gawain said:

She "automatically" becomes a permanent resident?  They just send her a green card?

The CBP endorsed IR-2 visa page is a temporary Green Card: https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/temporary-i-551-stamps-and-mrivs “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR.”

On 5/11/2021 at 6:27 AM, Gawain said:

I was just told by Moscow Embassy that I can apply for the CRBA at any US Embassy.

Your daughter should show that email to an ACS in another country when applying for her first US passport. She is eligible for the US passport because you transmitted US citizenship at the time of her birth. The supporting documents for her US passport application should include your evidence of US citizenship, etc.

7 minutes ago, Gawain said:

I still don't have a way of getting her to another embassy before she turns 18 though.

I should have clarified that she is still eligible for her first US passport after turning 18. https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/claiming-citizenship-born-outside-united-states/ "Claiming citizenship after age 18 – born outside the United States" "If you were not born in the Netherlands, obtain the foreign birth certificate."

Thank you I will keep this in mind.  I'm going to bring the DS-11 with me to her IR2 interview in Moscow (whenever that is) and go from there.  Russia can't stay closed forever or at least I hope not.  I don't want to - but if I have to travel there in the bleak Russian winter, I will.  I'm hoping for September/October/November anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Update - She was expedited and we managed to get an interview date (for the IR2 Visa) in July.  But I'm going to have to request to push it off as I will not be able to get into Russia by that time.

I also made a date online in August for the CRBA, which I probably attempt to extend as well.

So it appears that one is able to run both methods concurrently.

1 hour ago, Gawain said:

Update - She was expedited and we managed to get an interview date (for the IR2 Visa) in July.  But I'm going to have to request to push it off as I will not be able to get into Russia by that time.

I also made a date online in August for the CRBA, which I probably attempt to extend as well.

She’s only going to be able GET one or the other, even if you have applied for both simultaneously.  And it’s not necessarily going to be the first one that gets to interview  stage , it will be the one she qualifies for. If she is eligible for CRBA she will not be issued an IR2 visa.

Edited by SusieQQQ

9 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Yes, of course.  

My strategy all has to do with timing of when I can get in, whether or not it's before she turns 18.

That’s a hard deadline for CRBA so I’m a little lost at that statement, but I don’t have time to re-read everything to see what’s actually going on, seems a bit odd to have expedited then say it’s too soon. 

I'm fighting several things at the moment:

1-Russia is closed to Americans due to two things: virus and Biden/Putin.

2-Obtaining the visa for ME to get into Russia.

3-Getting my daughter and going to Moscow with her, to file for CRBA before October.

It's become a nightmare of logistics at this point, but I will take baby steps through it all.  The Russian Embassy also is insisting that I get a private visa, so I'm not supposed to go there on a tourist visa.  I'm having my Russian lawyer look into options to get me in as quickly as possible, once Russia opens again.  She doesn't have anyone but me and I don't want her traveling so far by herself.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
On 6/26/2021 at 2:44 PM, Gawain said:

Were you able to get a CRBA appointment in Moscow?  Or did you get an appointment in another country close by?

On 6/6/2021 at 7:12 PM, HRQX said:

I should have clarified that she is still eligible for her first US passport after turning 18. https://nl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/claiming-citizenship-born-outside-united-states/ "Claiming citizenship after age 18 – born outside the United States" "If you were not born in the Netherlands, obtain the foreign birth certificate."

I'm finding this information to be invaluable.  I was never aware of it.  And I was never aware that all the US Embassies seem to each operate a little bit differently.  I have another question.  I'm facing a logistical nightmare between the Covid, and the Moscow embassy practically closing.  Plus - now in Moscow restaurants don't let you eat unless you got the vax and have some QR code on your phone (Russian citizens that received the vax are now having problems with the QR codes), all of this makes me want to point my efforts to a different US embassy other than Moscow.  I'm seriously considering this approach.  From what I read - I don't even need to do a CRBA.  I just need to get the Netherlands embassy to give us an appointment and get her there and apply for her first passport.  It would be after she turns 18.  Am I interpreting the instructions from the Netherland's embassy website correctly?

Edited by Gawain

8 minutes ago, Gawain said:

I just need to get the Netherlands embassy to give us an appointment and get her there and apply for her first passport.  It would be after she turns 18.  Am I interpreting the instructions from the Netherland's embassy website correctly?

That is correct. She would also need a Schengen or Dutch visit visa.

Thanks again for this information.  The Moscow Embassy is so reduced in staff due to international conflict, plus they seem stressed out and aren't that helpful (in my opinion).  The place to get the medical exam will not even answer an email, and the appointment calendar on their website shows no appointments.  I think it would all be a dead end and a waste of time.  Every possible logistical problem that could happen has happened.  With the Netherlands route, they seem willing to "pre-approve" the paperwork (copies) and then they grant an appointment date.  I think this is going to be THE WAY.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.