ENGUE

Traveling with Combo Card (EAD+AP) while waiting for an interview

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is it risky to leave the US with Advance Parole while waiting for an interview?

I've seen some people freaking out about it and others not concerned about it at all. Any attorneys here to provide more realistic and reliable information about it or some people who had left the US recently?

My husband and I are waiting for USCIS to schedule an interview since early April/20. He came here on an F-1 visa and completed his MBA last year, and he was on a valid OPT at we got married and submitted our application. It was processed very quickly until the last update which is "case is ready to be scheduled for an interview".

He read online a bunch of people saying to not leave the US until getting a GC and this is freaking him out. I told him to not worry about it, although it's easier for me as I'm a US citizen, so I was wondering I would be able to find more realistic and reliable information about this topic.

PS: AOS from an F-1 visa through marriage.

Thank you!

Pat

February 11, 2020: Case sent to Chicago Lockbox (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765 and I-131)
February 13, 2020: Mail Delivered
February 17, 2020: PD
February 26, 2020: Biometrics Appointment Notice
March 10, 2020: Biometrics Taken (I-485 & I-765)
March 19, 2020: Biometrics Updated (I-131)
April 3, 2020: Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview (I-485)
July 15, 2020: EAD+AP Approved (I-765 & I-131)
July 31, 2020: Combo Card Mailed (I-765 & I-131)
August 4, 2020: Combo Card Received (I-765 & I-131)

Processing Center: National Benefits Center
Local Office: New York City

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used my AP back in June to travel to Canada. Had no issues coming back in. He will have to go to secondary (the usual) so they can parole him in, but aside from that he shouldn’t have any issues. I was like your husband terrified to use my AP but as soon as I used it the first time I was not worried anymore.

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
33 minutes ago, ENGUE said:

Is it risky to leave the US with Advance Parole while waiting for an interview?

I've seen some people freaking out about it and others not concerned about it at all. Any attorneys here to provide more realistic and reliable information about it or some people who had left the US recently?

My husband and I are waiting for USCIS to schedule an interview since early April/20. He came here on an F-1 visa and completed his MBA last year, and he was on a valid OPT at we got married and submitted our application. It was processed very quickly until the last update which is "case is ready to be scheduled for an interview".

He read online a bunch of people saying to not leave the US until getting a GC and this is freaking him out. I told him to not worry about it, although it's easier for me as I'm a US citizen, so I was wondering I would be able to find more realistic and reliable information about this topic.

PS: AOS from an F-1 visa through marriage.

Thank you!

Pat

I would wait to have more experienced people weigh in... but if I were to say, I would think that the biggest problem would be to travel after the interview, while the GC hasn´t arrived. 
Maybe you can email the embassy and ask? Best to be safe.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

29 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

I used my AP back in June to travel to Canada. Had no issues coming back in. He will have to go to secondary (the usual) so they can parole him in, but aside from that he shouldn’t have any issues. I was like your husband terrified to use my AP but as soon as I used it the first time I was not worried anymore.

Thank you, sweethrtt! He's freaking out especially because I don't want to go but want him to go and spend some time with his family as his grandma passed away early this year. I told him to take my US passport and birth certificate if that would make him feel more comfortable.

February 11, 2020: Case sent to Chicago Lockbox (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765 and I-131)
February 13, 2020: Mail Delivered
February 17, 2020: PD
February 26, 2020: Biometrics Appointment Notice
March 10, 2020: Biometrics Taken (I-485 & I-765)
March 19, 2020: Biometrics Updated (I-131)
April 3, 2020: Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview (I-485)
July 15, 2020: EAD+AP Approved (I-765 & I-131)
July 31, 2020: Combo Card Mailed (I-765 & I-131)
August 4, 2020: Combo Card Received (I-765 & I-131)

Processing Center: National Benefits Center
Local Office: New York City

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, ENGUE said:

Thank you, sweethrtt! He's freaking out especially because I don't want to go but want him to go and spend some time with his family as his grandma passed away early this year. I told him to take my US passport and birth certificate if that would make him feel more comfortable.

Not a lawyer. I would definitely advise not to carry someone else's passport and birth certificate. Scans/copies should be good. He can always ask them to call you to confirm, if it comes to that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.