kw1997

Married children F3 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey folks

I need advice from you regarding F3 visa for married children. I am a US citizen and a senior , want to sponsor my married child and wondering which would be 

the best way to sponsor.  I hear F3 takes about 10+ years and  considering my age I dont want to take that  chance .

That child overseas can also be sponsored by his siblings  here in US  on a F4 visa. What do you think

thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Unfortunately, there are no quick ways.

In the F3 category, US citizen parent petitioning for a married child, the current wait is about 13 years.

In the F4 category, US citizen sibling petitioning for a sibling, the current wait is about 14 years.

A beneficiary can have multiple petitions.  The USC parent can file an I-130, and the USC sibling can file a second I-130.

Please be aware that your grandchildren who are over 21 years old when visas becomes available may not be able to immigrate with your child.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:33 PM, kw1997 said:

Hey folks

I need advice from you regarding F3 visa for married children. I am a US citizen and a senior , want to sponsor my married child and wondering which would be 

the best way to sponsor.  I hear F3 takes about 10+ years and  considering my age I dont want to take that  chance .

That child overseas can also be sponsored by his siblings  here in US  on a F4 visa. What do you think

thanks

Nothing really prevents both you and one (or more) of your children to file I-130 in F3 and F4 respectively. Moreover, if you die after the I-130 is approved, the F3 petition can continue via a process known as a reinstatement, which basically means that another relative takes over the petition and becomes the financial sponsor. The substitute sponsor has to be a US Citizen or LPR, at least 18 years old, and basically any relative of the primary beneficiary from the following list: spouse, parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sibling, child, son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, or legal guardian.

If you know someone that would be willing to sponsor your child or their spouse in an employment based category and subsequently hire them that'd be faster than waiting on either F3 or F4.

Finally, there's the DV Lottery, commonly known as the green card lottery. Odds of winning are low, but the applications are free so they don't lose much aside time to submit an application by trying. Both your child and their spouse can make an entry each and as long as one wins the other (and the children) can tag along as derivatives.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
8 hours ago, Demise said:

Nothing really prevents both you and one (or more) of your children to file I-130 in F3 and F4 respectively. Moreover, if you die after the I-130 is approved, the F3 petition can continue via a process known as a reinstatement, which basically means that another relative takes over the petition and becomes the financial sponsor. The substitute sponsor has to be a US Citizen or LPR, at least 18 years old, and basically any relative of the primary beneficiary from the following list: spouse, parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law, sibling, child, son, daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, or legal guardian.

If you know someone that would be willing to sponsor your child or their spouse in an employment based category and subsequently hire them that'd be faster than waiting on either F3 or F4.

Finally, there's the DV Lottery, commonly known as the green card lottery. Odds of winning are low, but the applications are free so they don't lose much aside time to submit an application by trying. Both your child and their spouse can make an entry each and as long as one wins the other (and the children) can tag along as derivatives.

It's better to have the parent and sibling file separate cases.  Better to have a backup from the start and avoid the pitfalls of reinstatement.  

Reinstatement is only possible if USCIS has approved the I-130.  If the petitioner dies before the I-130 is approved, then reinstatement is not possible.  This could mean losing years of waiting.  Furthermore, reinstatement is discretionary and not a sure thing.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.