Brazil/US2018

AOS INTERVIEW SCHEDULED REQUIREMENTS?? AND TRANSLATORS??***

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone!!

I just got a letter that our green card interview has finally been scheduled!! (whew! its been over a 14 month wait for us!) Its in Norfolk VA! Anyway! just looking for little guidance from people who have been through this as I have seen so many conflicting answers!!!

On the Items to bring with you request, some of the things they ask are "form I-693 and I864" (unless already submitted). Do I have to re-print all of our packets?? I read where some people are re-printing everything and taking it with them...thats a little confusing. I submitted those back when we first applied for the GC.

Also, my husband doesn't speak fluent english (esl in process!) does anyone have experience with translator? Can it be anyone translating, like a family member or anything like that?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

Hello everyone!!

I just got a letter that our green card interview has finally been scheduled!! (whew! its been over a 14 month wait for us!) Its in Norfolk VA! Anyway! just looking for little guidance from people who have been through this as I have seen so many conflicting answers!!!

On the Items to bring with you request, some of the things they ask are "form I-693 and I864" (unless already submitted). Do I have to re-print all of our packets?? I read where some people are re-printing everything and taking it with them...thats a little confusing. I submitted those back when we first applied for the GC.

Also, my husband doesn't speak fluent english (esl in process!) does anyone have experience with translator? Can it be anyone translating, like a family member or anything like that?

Thanks in advance!

"if already submitted" means if you provided already they have it and don't need it.  If you want to bring updated financial information you can and have it available if the IO wants fresher info.

YMMV

1 hour ago, Brazil/US2018 said:

It must be somebody impartial. A family member is not automatically excluded, but it is not suggested as they may not be accepted.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-a-chapter-5

C. Interpreters

An applicant may not be fluent in English and may require use of an interpreter for the adjustment interview. At the adjustment interview, the interpreter should: 

• Present his or her valid government-issued identity document and complete an interpreter’s oath and privacy release statement; and

• Translate what the officer and the applicant say word-for-word to the best of his or her ability without adding the interpreter’s own opinion, commentary, or answer.

In general, a disinterested party should be used as the interpreter. An officer may exercise discretion, however, to allow a friend or relative of the applicant to act as interpreter. If the officer is fluent in the applicant’s preferred language, the officer may conduct the examination in that language without use of an interpreter. 

USCIS reserves the right to disqualify an interpreter provided by the applicant if the officer believes the integrity of the examination is compromised by the interpreter’s participation or the officer determines the interpreter is not competent to translate. 

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.