Melsan

Waiting for the green card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello everyone. So we have our IR-1 visa interview scheduled for the end of October in Santiago.It’s my understanding it doesn’t take very long to get the visa. Then, my family and I need to enter the US within the allotted time. I think it’s 6 months? However, my husband is not planning on retiring from his current position in Chile until Sept 2021. Does anyone know if we enter the US before the expiration date of the visa, can he leave the US and in be in Chile for a few months to finish his job? I know it can take up to 120 days to receive the green card. I’m not sure if he could leave the US before the green card arrives as he only has so many vacation days. Our other thought is to schedule the interview at a later date to get us closer to our targeted time to leave Chile. I would like to get our interview date because I just want to be finished with this process but I don’t want to jeopardize it either. Any information is appreciated. Thanks! 

The visa is valid for 6 months from the date of the medical. The visa normally takes a few days to a week to be issued after the interview unless some additional background checks have to be completed. 

Once he has landed here, he will be a permanent resident immediately (aka green card holder). He can travel in and out of the country as he wishes even before the plastic green card arrives in the mail. He must make sure that the US is his primary residence. So he can travel back to Chile to wrap things up for a while and then come back. 

You can also delay the interview and medical. Contact the embassy about that if you want to do that. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

It was dq’d the end of August. So I kind of jumped the gun and reached out to the embassy and told them I would like to schedule an interview because our case was ready. They gave me a site to register at and then we paid the fee and picked a date. Then, we reached out to NVC and told them it was scheduled and forwarded the email showing it. They then set our case to the embassy. I know you are suppose to wait for the NVC but I read/heard they are very slow and there is often miscommunication between the embassy and the NVC. Someone posted on here that they were told by the NVC that the embassy is not having interview but that is obviously not true. It’s up to you to wait for the email from NVC but I don’t know how long it will take.

Timeline

I have been in Chile for 5 years. I use my parents  address for my permanent address in the states. How long have you been in Chile. I see you are in Concepcion?! We live in Talcahuano 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.