wbeem

Mailing packages from US to UK

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hoping some of you are actually in the US or have experience with this. It's been years since I mailed packages to the UK and with travel restrictions and nobody going back and forth, that option is out this year. 

My main concern is I recall a customs duty that gets charged to the recipient.  I really don't want them to be liable to pay for receiving their gift and I don't know if I can pay the duty upfront from here. Do you know what the max value is without being charged? Should I send several small packets? Value the contents at cost, not replacement cost? I'm not sending anything expensive or valuable but my family had a trip for daughter's graduation booked for May, which obviously got canceled and their two rescheduled trips have been canceled. I'm really not hanging onto hope that travel will open up by mid November for their fourth option! So I want to get some small gifts and cards over to them just so they have something for Christmas and hopefully they will be able to come over early next year and get the rest. 

Is it possible to order online from a UK company, pay with a US card and my billing address here and have it delivered to their address in the UK?  Open to any options as it's been several years and I have no idea what the rules are now.  

Thanks, guys. 

Edited by wbeem
Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We order from Amazon.co.uk mostly because of the selection and ease. Often free shipping is available, but not your US Prime benefits. You can use your US credit card.

We’ve also successfully ordered from gift hamper places (Mum loves those), department store websites,  

and  even a small shop in Oxford over the phone. Argos has changed so not sure how they work anymore but we have done Argos a few years back.

My husband (In the US) regularly sends me packages (to the UK) without issue and vice versa.

We have used a number of different companies, my husband has even sent me flowers on quite a few occasions; he will find a local florist, they are often much cheaper than the larger franchises and sends a delivery to me by calling and placing the order over the phone. 
As @Wuozopo mentioned, Amazon.co.uk works a treat just without any US prime benefits you may have and there’s no worry about customs or taxes when you purchase that way. 

There is definitely a limit on value of items sent, see the website below: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

I remember paying customs duty on a watch my husband sent me for Christmas a few years ago before we were married, we were unaware 😂

Hopefully some of that is helpful. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.