Jump to content

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My husband (Danish citizen) and I (US citizen) currently live in Denmark and have for the entire duration of our relationship. We are talking about packing our things and heading to the USA via an IR-1. Everything seems like it would go fine for us, except for the affidavit of support. I have not worked since 2017 and he will have to leave his job behind once we are in the USA. We are hoping to talk some of my family members into signing for him when we visit the states on holiday, but I honestly don't feel like anyone is gonna want to step up to do that for us.

 

We have talked about me going back to the states in advance to get a job and start working so that we won't require anyone to sign for us. I know that I have to make above a certain amount in order to qualify, but what about the length of time will I have to have worked for in order to be able to sign? Assuming the I-130 is approved within following year, I still won't have tax returns to prove an income, but I would have pay stubs to show for. Would that be enough to prove my income and be eligible to sign the affidavit of support? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SrslySteph said:

My husband (Danish citizen) and I (US citizen) currently live in Denmark and have for the entire duration of our relationship. We are talking about packing our things and heading to the USA via an IR-1. Everything seems like it would go fine for us, except for the affidavit of support. I have not worked since 2017 and he will have to leave his job behind once we are in the USA. We are hoping to talk some of my family members into signing for him when we visit the states on holiday, but I honestly don't feel like anyone is gonna want to step up to do that for us.

 

We have talked about me going back to the states in advance to get a job and start working so that we won't require anyone to sign for us. I know that I have to make above a certain amount in order to qualify, but what about the length of time will I have to have worked for in order to be able to sign? Assuming the I-130 is approved within following year, I still won't have tax returns to prove an income, but I would have pay stubs to show for. Would that be enough to prove my income and be eligible to sign the affidavit of support? 

Current income is key.  Most easily provable with recent paystubs 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Current income is key.  Most easily provable with recent paystubs 

Thanks for the response! Do you know how many pay stubs they would request (or a time duration for how long I should have held the current job)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SrslySteph said:

Thanks for the response! Do you know how many pay stubs they would request (or a time duration for how long I should have held the current job)?

No time duration minimum that I am aware of.  Theoretically only one paystub if it includes YTD earnings as well as current 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SrslySteph said:

Do you know how many pay stubs they would request 

One.    

Current Annual Income is defined as:

 

Current weekly income x 52 = Current Annual Income

Current Pay Period Income x number of pay periods per year = Current Annual Income

Current Monthly Income x 12 = Current Annual Income

 

 


"What I am to be, I am now becoming" - Ben Franklin         

 

      :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses. Assuming we are approved and my husband arrives in the USA, what happens if I lose my job? Do I need to keep the government updated on my income status? Will they revoke my husband's visa, as I could no longer support him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SrslySteph said:

Thanks for the responses. Assuming we are approved and my husband arrives in the USA, what happens if I lose my job? Do I need to keep the government updated on my income status? Will they revoke my husband's visa, as I could no longer support him?

The I-864 and public charge piece is determined before the visa is issued. The I-864 is executed when he enters on the visa.

There is no need to inform anybody of changes to your income or employment status. Their status is not tied to your financial capabilities.


Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...