Caitlin Kennedy

Biometrics -131?

7 posts in this topic

My husband got his biometrics appointment notice and for case types, they dont have the 131. Does the 131 not need biometrics? It has for case types 485 and 765. Just wanted to triple check. We also read that people brought their marriage certificate. Anyone have experience with needing that?

Thanks!

Edited by Caitlin Kennedy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

My husband got his biometrics appointment notice and for case types, they dont have the 131. Does the 131 not need biometrics? It has for case types 485 and 765. Just wanted to triple check. We also read that people brought their marriage certificate. Anyone have experience with needing that?

Thanks!

I had two barcodes on my biometric appointment letter. No biometrics for I-131. 
I did three biometric appointments (AOS, removing conditions, citizenship) and never showed anything but my passport as ID and the appointment letters. But being male, I didn’t have a name change which is the only reason I can think of for the marriage license if your passport is in your maiden name and your biometric appointment letter is in your married name.

9 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I had two barcodes on my biometric appointment letter. No biometrics for I-131. 
I did three biometric appointments (AOS, removing conditions, citizenship) and never showed anything but my passport as ID and the appointment letters. But being male, I didn’t have a name change which is the only reason I can think of for the marriage license if your passport is in your maiden name and your biometric appointment letter is in your married name.

We have two barcodes too on the letter for the 485 & 765 , but some people like you are saying you dont need it, then the guy above said I will be receiving another letter. Are you confirming the 131 DOES NOT need biometrics? That is what we are trying to confirm. We plan to go on the live chat today and ask USCIS. Thank you for the response.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Are you confirming the 131 DOES NOT need biometrics?

All I can confirm is my I-131 application for Advance Parole did not require biometrics. 

The same I-131 application is used for several different things

1. Advance Parole,
  2. Refugee Travel Document, 
  3. Reentry Permit for LPRs outside the US too long

The instructions say on page 11

Biometrics Services Requirement
a. All applicants for a Refugee Travel Document or a Reentry Permit must complete biometrics at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) or, if applying for a Refugee Travel Document while outside of the United States at an overseas USCIS facility. If you are between ages 14 through 79 and you are applying for a Refugee Travel Document or a Reentry Permit, you must also be fingerprinted as part of USCIS biometrics services requirement.

They do not say biometrics required for Advance Parole so I still think no, you will not get an additional barcode on a separate letter.

This was our convo with USCIS today so we are calling for a supervisor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            *How may I assist you today?
I received my biometrics appointment notice and for case types, it doesn't have the I-131 (I have filed Advanced Parole form I-131). Does the I-131 not need biometrics? It has for case types 485 and 765
*Yes it does require biometrics. The appointment you have will cover all cases.
Ok, but it doesn't say that on my letter. Will I receive another letter. I didn't apply for a re-entry permit or refugee travel document, just temporary foreign travel
*Once you go to the appointment the ASC will explain to you. You will not receive another notice.
Can you explain further please?
You have one appointment for biometrics for all cases. Even if the case type is not listed on the notice you receive the office will still collect fingerprints for the I-131 when you are there.

We called a supervisor and said it is required but that the 765-131 is a combo card since we applied for it at the same time. We wont get another letter, but we inquired in writing the combo information incase.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.