Gelline

For interview but passport validity less than 6 months

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

We have been approved for expedite however i havent received my new valid passport yet. My old passport expires on Feb 14 2021. I have applied for a renewal of my passport 2 months ago but i havent received it yet because the processing got delayed because of COVID. I was planning to schedule my medical this month. Can i still do my medical and interview with my old passport?

Thank you

6 hours ago, Gelline said:

Hi,

We have been approved for expedite however i havent received my new valid passport yet. My old passport expires on Feb 14 2021. I have applied for a renewal of my passport 2 months ago but i havent received it yet because the processing got delayed because of COVID. I was planning to schedule my medical this month. Can i still do my medical and interview with my old passport?

Thank you

Reading your post it seems that your passport is still valid for over 6 months. I don't understand your issue. But in answer to your question if your passport is valid, it is valid. That includes every day up to the expiration date.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This was the first question under the FAQ section of the USEM visa page (source: https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-gen-faq.asp#qlistgen1)

Q.1 How long does my passport have to be valid in order to apply for a U. S. visa?

You must possess a passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).

3 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Reading your post it seems that your passport is still valid for over 6 months. I don't understand your issue. But in answer to your question if your passport is valid, it is valid. That includes every day up to the expiration date.

Isnt my passport valid for less than 6 months? I dont know if i counted it right but its already August and my passport expiration is February. Im thinking if it should be okay to schedule a medical and interview at this time given the validity of my passport. While i was trying to register at the st lukes website, it says there passport should be valid for more than 6 months. 

21 hours ago, Broccoli Girl said:

This was the first question under the FAQ section of the USEM visa page (source: https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-gen-faq.asp#qlistgen1)

Q.1 How long does my passport have to be valid in order to apply for a U. S. visa?

You must possess a passport valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions).

Is Philippines exempt?

I know US Citizens can travel to Philippines with less than 6 months on their passport

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Is Philippines exempt?

I know US Citizens can travel to Philippines with less than 6 months on their passport

That link to country-specific exemptions is broken lol. But even under normal circumstances, Filipinos traveling out of the country to anywhere (even to ASEAN area for a few days for tourism) would need a passport that is valid for more than 6 months. Otherwise, immigration wouldn't allow you to leave.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippines is a member of the 6 month club and are exempt.  However,  doesn't matter if immigration won't let you leave 

For a list of members just Google 6 month club

YMMV

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

Philippines is a member of the 6 month club and are exempt.  However,  doesn't matter if immigration won't let you leave 

I was waiting for your final answer.

I refer all immigration matter related to exemption to you.

Edited by Allovertheworld

Timeline
20 hours ago, payxibka said:

Interesting, this 6 month club is an official "title", I learned something new today! I had a thought, this exemption applies for traveling and you need to have a passport valid for your intended period of stay in the US. It might not apply for applying for a visa since it is addressed as the first question in the FAQs.

I also just remembered I applied for a J-1 visa as an exchange student and I was told to prematurely renew my PH passport as even if it was about 8 -10 months from my departure because it was cutting too close. OP @Gelline maybe it's best to contact the US embassy to be sure.

3 hours ago, Broccoli Girl said:

Interesting, this 6 month club is an official "title", I learned something new today! I had a thought, this exemption applies for traveling and you need to have a passport valid for your intended period of stay in the US. It might not apply for applying for a visa since it is addressed as the first question in the FAQs.

I also just remembered I applied for a J-1 visa as an exchange student and I was told to prematurely renew my PH passport as even if it was about 8 -10 months from my departure because it was cutting too close. OP @Gelline maybe it's best to contact the US embassy to be sure.

US Embassy would have no control nor authority on the airlines or BI in the Philippines.  

It would be clearing hurdles with whatever airlines and immigration in Philippines.

18 hours ago, Broccoli Girl said:

Yup i dont think i can get my medical until i get my passport. Cause when i register it says there i need to get a 6 months validity passport. But ill try to contact them maybe if i bring a receipt showing i am renewing my passport theyll let me get it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.