Mark11

Received electronic notice for 485 and 131, but not 765 ???

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has run across this, and if I should be concerned and making inquiries:  we submitted our AOS (k-1) packet  (485/864/944, 765, and 131) 33 days ago.  We finally received the electronic notification (text  message) that the 485 and 131 had been received (two separate texts with two separate NOA numbers), but we didn't receive any notice for the 765.  I did include the electronic notification page with the 765, so I'm wondering if this indicates a problem.  In a nutshell, does anyone who has been through this think it's a problem that only the 485 and 131 were noted as received?

Thanks,

Mark and Sandra

Edited by Mark11

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
1 hour ago, Mark11 said:

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has run across this, and if I should be concerned and making inquiries:  we submitted our AOS (k-1) packet  (485/864/944, 765, and 131) 33 days ago.  We finally received the electronic notification (text  message) that the 485 and 131 had been received (two separate texts with two separate NOA numbers), but we didn't receive any notice for the 765.  I did include the electronic notification page with the 765, so I'm wondering if this indicates a problem.  In a nutshell, does anyone who has been through this think it's a problem that only the 485 and 131 were noted as received?

Thanks,

Mark and Sandra

Not really, sometimes they do not send SMS to all the applications. Just wait for the letters in your mail (NOA1's). That is the important thing. I would say you will get the one for the I-765. If not then you can call and ask.

Edited by juancarlos

Timeline

JuanCarlos and Carl,

Thanks for the input.  Looks like Carl was correct.  I call the USCIS service center and they confirmed that our 765 had been rejected due to "incorrect fees".  The agent on the phone noted that no additional fee (for the 765) is necessary when you file all 3 documents together (485/765/131) and that this was a mistake by the lockbox facility.  They advised me to wait for the rejected packet to arrive in the mail, then attach the 485 NOA1 with it and send it back to the lockbox.   An unfortunate delay.

--Mark and Sandra

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Mark11 said:

JuanCarlos and Carl,

Thanks for the input.  Looks like Carl was correct.  I call the USCIS service center and they confirmed that our 765 had been rejected due to "incorrect fees".  The agent on the phone noted that no additional fee (for the 765) is necessary when you file all 3 documents together (485/765/131) and that this was a mistake by the lockbox facility.  They advised me to wait for the rejected packet to arrive in the mail, then attach the 485 NOA1 with it and send it back to the lockbox.   An unfortunate delay.

--Mark and Sandra

Make sure you used C9 as the category for EAD.

Timeline

Ayrton,

51 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

Make sure you used C9 as the category for EAD.

Yep, definitely did that.  Used the advice on VJ to use C9 on question 27 (eligibility category).  Thanks for mentioning it.

My wife would probably love to talk with you -- my Portuguese is still terrible.

--Mark and Sandra

Timeline

Hi All,

Just received the 2 hard copy NOA's in the mail.  Sure enough, one for the 485 and one for the 131, but nothing for the 765.  Rats.

Oh, and oddly, the notice date is 3 days different than the notice date on the MyUSCIS site.

--Mark and Sandra

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 7/31/2020 at 6:30 PM, Mark11 said:

Hi All,

Just received the 2 hard copy NOA's in the mail.  Sure enough, one for the 485 and one for the 131, but nothing for the 765.  Rats.

Oh, and oddly, the notice date is 3 days different than the notice date on the MyUSCIS site.

--Mark and Sandra

We're still waiting on the rejection notice for the I-765, filed June 2nd

Timeline

Carl,

13 hours ago, Carl. said:

We're still waiting on the rejection notice for the I-765, filed June 2nd

Geez, you've been waiting over two months now just to get the  rejection letter, plus the returned 765 packet.  Since we're both confident the 765's were erroneously rejected  due to the "no-extra-fee" problem (I got the same answer with USCIS phone rep), I think I'm just going to resubmit a new 765 packet with a  large-font cover letter explanation of the original problem and a copy of  the 485 NOA.  Since we know there will be at least a month delay for lockbox processing, you've already lost 3 months (2 months waiting, then another month for new  lockbox processing), and I've lost 2, it seem like waiting any longer is a huge waste of time.

USCiS suggested including the 485 NOA.  I think I'll make a new packet today.

--Mark

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 hours ago, Mark11 said:

Carl,

Geez, you've been waiting over two months now just to get the  rejection letter, plus the returned 765 packet.  Since we're both confident the 765's were erroneously rejected  due to the "no-extra-fee" problem (I got the same answer with USCIS phone rep), I think I'm just going to resubmit a new 765 packet with a  large-font cover letter explanation of the original problem and a copy of  the 485 NOA.  Since we know there will be at least a month delay for lockbox processing, you've already lost 3 months (2 months waiting, then another month for new  lockbox processing), and I've lost 2, it seem like waiting any longer is a huge waste of time.

USCiS suggested including the 485 NOA.  I think I'll make a new packet today.

--Mark

I emailed Chicago lockbox on the 24th July. The standard reply was we'll get back to you within 30 days. So now it's a wait to see what comes first, the email from Chicago lockbox or my rejection notice for my I-765

Timeline

Carl,

15 hours ago, Carl. said:

I emailed Chicago lockbox on the 24th July. The standard reply was we'll get back to you within 30 days. So now it's a wait to see what comes first, the email from Chicago lockbox or my rejection notice for my I-765

First, I think you should perhaps you should just send in a new 765 packet -- with a copy of the 485 NOA -- yours may be lost.  I only say this because I just received the rejection notice in the mail with the rejection NOA and original 765 (both are attached if you want to look at them).  The NOA date on the whole AOS packet was July 27.  So 6 days between formal receipt of the AOS packet (after 1 month of processing at lockbox) and then receiving the rejection notice in the mail.  Given that, your 2 months with no rejection notice at all seems way out of whack.

Second, there were mistakes on both parties on my submission.  USCIS rejected it for no extra fee (incorrect), AND because I used an outdated 765 form (stupid error on my part -- when I originally filled it out months ago, it was valid).

Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

--Mark

NOA .pdf Rejection notice .pdf

Timeline

All,

I just noticed this when trying to fill out the "new" I-765 (because my rejection notice said my form was out of date):  at the top, the "new" form has the same expiration date as the "old" form, namely 05/31/2020.  However, the edition date at the bottom of the page has a new date.  Old edition date was 05/31/18, new edition date is 12/26/19.  The USCIS website notes that you can continue using the form with the expired date at the top until they publish the new form.  But easy to make a mistake on which form you're using.

In short, check the edition date at the bottom of the page, not just the expiration date at the top.

--Mark and Sandra

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.