11 posts in this topic

Hello, all. 

A few weeks ago my husband and I filed for an expedite for his EAD and AP, because I’m out on medical leave and no income is coming in. We received an email last week, asking to fax in supporting docs which we did. We also received an email stating My husband would need to complete his biometrics first. We call USCIS this morning and the agent stated that we don’t need fingerprints for the EAD and she will have an officer call me. I always thought biometrics were needed for employment card. Is this good news that an officer will reach out to us? We have no money coming in right now, and I can’t go back to work until August 22nd. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
36 minutes ago, ReneeJas said:

Hello, all. 

A few weeks ago my husband and I filed for an expedite for his EAD and AP, because I’m out on medical leave and no income is coming in. We received an email last week, asking to fax in supporting docs which we did. We also received an email stating My husband would need to complete his biometrics first. We call USCIS this morning and the agent stated that we don’t need fingerprints for the EAD and she will have an officer call me. I always thought biometrics were needed for employment card. Is this good news that an officer will reach out to us? We have no money coming in right now, and I can’t go back to work until August 22nd. 

He will need biometrics. The form can be approved but the card won't be produced if there's no biometrics. Some people with approved EAD are waiting for more than 2 months with no card.

Edited by Ayrton

43 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

He will need biometrics. The form can be approved but the card won't be produced if there's no biometrics. Some people with approved EAD are waiting for more than 2 months with no card.

Omg!! I knew biometrics were needed. But hopefully something can be done because i have no income coming in right now. 

1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

I just got off the phone with the officer and he stated the biometrics is still needed and may be 90 days before they can get appointments scheduled for certain areas. He did advise us to go the application center to see if we can do walk-in appointment 

1 hour ago, ReneeJas said:

I just got off the phone with the officer and he stated the biometrics is still needed and may be 90 days before they can get appointments scheduled for certain areas. He did advise us to go the application center to see if we can do walk-in appointment 

Do you have any sort of biometrics appointment letter? As far as I know you have to have a letter in order to be able to do walk-in. 

When I did walk-in back in March they asked for a letter.

And one more not positive information, it takes so long to get an EAD card right now ;(  My case was approved 6/30 and I haven't received anything yet. It's been 3 weeks already. 

2 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

Do you have any sort of biometrics appointment letter? As far as I know you have to have a letter in order to be able to do walk-in. 

When I did walk-in back in March they asked for a letter.

We don’t and we just drove up to the ASC and they need the letter. 

38 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

And one more not positive information, it takes so long to get an EAD card right now ;(  My case was approved 6/30 and I haven't received anything yet. It's been 3 weeks already. 

Oh no!! Well, praying they hurry and send it to you. 

Generally, biometrics are required before they can issue the EAD. The card includes a section for prints right on it. The prints are used for background checks, too.

There are a few reports from a few months ago (during the early days of closures) who were able to get an EAD issued with the biometrics part of the card showing "Unavailable". It is unknown what prints they used to run the background checks (POE? Visa?).

That said, I haven't seen recent reports of that happening, especially since ASCs are starting to open back up.

The biggest issue right now is there is a massive backlog for printing green cards and EADs. USCIS was transitioning the printing of cards to an in-sourced process (it was contracted before), but funding - and now staffing - issues arose with COVID.

Ignore the misleading title..."undocumented" here refers strictly to a lack of the physical documents, not "illegal".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-trump-administration-is-turning-legal-immigrants-into-undocumented-ones/2020/07/09/15c1cbf6-c203-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

13 hours ago, geowrian said:

Generally, biometrics are required before they can issue the EAD. The card includes a section for prints right on it. The prints are used for background checks, too.

There are a few reports from a few months ago (during the early days of closures) who were able to get an EAD issued with the biometrics part of the card showing "Unavailable". It is unknown what prints they used to run the background checks (POE? Visa?).

That said, I haven't seen recent reports of that happening, especially since ASCs are starting to open back up.

The biggest issue right now is there is a massive backlog for printing green cards and EADs. USCIS was transitioning the printing of cards to an in-sourced process (it was contracted before), but funding - and now staffing - issues arose with COVID.

Ignore the misleading title..."undocumented" here refers strictly to a lack of the physical documents, not "illegal".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-trump-administration-is-turning-legal-immigrants-into-undocumented-ones/2020/07/09/15c1cbf6-c203-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html

Thank you so much for the information. I see COViD really causes huge problems, and we are all left waiting. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.