Jot18

Surrender and Renunciation of Indian Citizenship Guide(Updated 17th Jul 2020)

38 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, Jot18 said:

This is a guide on surrendering your Indian Passport after becoming naturalized US Citizen.

Step 1: Visit this Link and fill in the form. The filled form should look something like this Sample. Pay close attention to the date formats as it varies throughout the application.After submitting the form you will be given a CKGS temporary ID. Make sure to save that in case you close the application before finishing it or get disconnected. It will be emailed to you as well. Remember your required documents/checklist will be based on the answers on this page. Your date of naturalization should be the same as listed on the naturalization certificate & not your US Passport.

Step 2: Click the box for Terms & Conditions then click proceed. You will be shown payment summary on the right. Just ignore at this time & proceed with the application. Sample

Step 3: Fill the Renunciation Form. Make sure to enter same details as your Indian Passport. When you are done, just click submit and review for corrections. Check the box  under declaration then click proceed.

Step 4: Fill the Additional Particulars Form for Renunciation. Then click submit and review for corrections. Check the box and type in the place & click proceed.

Step 5: This is where you will choose the shipping options. I recommend you choose FedEx Overnight for Shipping to & From CKGS. This way you don't have to worry about their shipping instructions as they are vague and hard to understand. You do end up paying little extra($30) if you choose CKGS shipping. This is where you need to take a note of the payment summary. Your Money Order should reflect the amount shown on this screen. Once you are done click proceed. 

Step 6: On this screen you will need to enter the Money Order/Cashier's Check details. Once you are done click the box for Terms & Conditions & click Submit. Then  you will be given a order form. & Shipping Label Print/Download for future reference. At this time online payment option is not available & In-Person services are suspended due to Corona. 

Step 7: Go back to my My Account. Here you will be shown all the forms/checklist that you can print. It will look some like This

Step 8: Print all the required forms/copies & mail it. I've attached a basic checklist. Don't forget to sign and attach the downloaded barcode on the envelope before mailing.

Note: If you do not have your Indian Passport, a police report is required in addition to affidavit of loss. I recently did mine and my local PD has a online reporting system. I received my report under 2 hours. 

I hope I cleared all the confusions. If there is anything else that someone would like to add please post below. I've attached sample forms as well.

Checklist.png

Sample Bardcode.pdf 19.12 kB · 0 downloads Sample Check List.pdf 41.5 kB · 0 downloads Sample Renunciation Additional Particular Form.pdf 29.34 kB · 0 downloads Sample Renunciation_form.pdf 31.72 kB · 1 download Sample RenunciationCertificate.pdf 22.27 kB · 1 download

@Jot18, I am in the process of completing my renunciation form and one information that I need to fill in is the PLACE of issue of my US passport. In the sample form that you've attached, it says SFO, United States. However, I don't see anywhere in my US passport where place of issue is mentioned. Where do I find this information? I live in NJ.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
40 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

@Jot18, I am in the process of completing my renunciation form and one information that I need to fill in is the PLACE of issue of my US passport. In the sample form that you've attached, it says SFO, United States. However, I don't see anywhere in my US passport where place of issue is mentioned. Where do I find this information? I live in NJ.

Its not listed on US passport. On mine I put San Francisco because my local US passport office is in SF. If I were to make an emergency appt for same day passport I need to go to SF. I believe for new Jersey it's in New York so go with New York and fingers crossed.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

05/29/2014: Applied for I-90, Due to an Name Error.

06/12/2014: Biometrics Appointment

02/13/2015: Green Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

02/20/2015: Green Card Has Been Mailed.(Received Tracking Number)

02/23/2015: Green Card Received With Correct Name

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

01/15/2015 = N-400 Packet Delivered

01/27/2015 = I-912 Approved

02/02/2015 = NOA1 Received (Priority Date 01/15/2015)

02/07/2015 = Biometrics Letter Received (Bio Set for 02/20/2015)

02/25/2015 = In Line for Interview

04/03/2015 = Interview Completed

--- = Oath Letter Received

04/15/2015 = Oath Ceremony!

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

06/02/2020 - Filed I-130 Online

06/02/2020 - NOA1 Received

07/01/2020 - Back to U.S from India 

01/11/2021 - NOA2 Received & Petition Approved

On 7/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, Jot18 said:

This is a guide on surrendering your Indian Passport after becoming naturalized US Citizen.

Step 1: Visit this Link and fill in the form. The filled form should look something like this Sample. Pay close attention to the date formats as it varies throughout the application.After submitting the form you will be given a CKGS temporary ID. Make sure to save that in case you close the application before finishing it or get disconnected. It will be emailed to you as well. Remember your required documents/checklist will be based on the answers on this page. Your date of naturalization should be the same as listed on the naturalization certificate & not your US Passport.

Step 2: Click the box for Terms & Conditions then click proceed. You will be shown payment summary on the right. Just ignore at this time & proceed with the application. Sample

Step 3: Fill the Renunciation Form. Make sure to enter same details as your Indian Passport. When you are done, just click submit and review for corrections. Check the box  under declaration then click proceed.

Step 4: Fill the Additional Particulars Form for Renunciation. Then click submit and review for corrections. Check the box and type in the place & click proceed.

Step 5: This is where you will choose the shipping options. I recommend you choose FedEx Overnight for Shipping to & From CKGS. This way you don't have to worry about their shipping instructions as they are vague and hard to understand. You do end up paying little extra($30) if you choose CKGS shipping. This is where you need to take a note of the payment summary. Your Money Order should reflect the amount shown on this screen. Once you are done click proceed. 

Step 6: On this screen you will need to enter the Money Order/Cashier's Check details. Once you are done click the box for Terms & Conditions & click Submit. Then  you will be given a order form. & Shipping Label Print/Download for future reference. At this time online payment option is not available & In-Person services are suspended due to Corona. 

Step 7: Go back to my My Account. Here you will be shown all the forms/checklist that you can print. It will look some like This

Step 8: Print all the required forms/copies & mail it. I've attached a basic checklist. Don't forget to sign and attach the downloaded barcode on the envelope before mailing.

Note: If you do not have your Indian Passport, a police report is required in addition to affidavit of loss. I recently did mine and my local PD has a online reporting system. I received my report under 2 hours. 

I hope I cleared all the confusions. If there is anything else that someone would like to add please post below. I've attached sample forms as well.

Checklist.png

Sample Bardcode.pdf 19.12 kB · 0 downloads Sample Check List.pdf 41.5 kB · 3 downloads Sample Renunciation Additional Particular Form.pdf 29.34 kB · 1 download Sample Renunciation_form.pdf 31.72 kB · 3 downloads Sample RenunciationCertificate.pdf 22.27 kB · 3 downloads

@Jot18, thank you for putting up this post.  You have been super helpful. The Renunciation Cert application has some of the vaguest instructions ever and it gets pretty daunting. I would be grateful if you can clear up a couple more issues for me. 1) When you fill your name (Surname/First Name, Smith/John in your example) and you print the form, you end up with " I, Smith John" and not "I, John Smith". Is this the right way?  2) You have to enclose photocopies of the "last two amendment pages of your US Passport". Can you throw some light on what these pages are? As far as I can see, there is no such thing as "amendment pages". Thanks in advance!

Timeline
2 hours ago, RunTheRoad said:

@Jot18, thank you for putting up this post.  You have been super helpful. The Renunciation Cert application has some of the vaguest instructions ever and it gets pretty daunting. I would be grateful if you can clear up a couple more issues for me. 1) When you fill your name (Surname/First Name, Smith/John in your example) and you print the form, you end up with " I, Smith John" and not "I, John Smith". Is this the right way?  2) You have to enclose photocopies of the "last two amendment pages of your US Passport". Can you throw some light on what these pages are? As far as I can see, there is no such thing as "amendment pages". Thanks in advance!

1. That's correct. They just print like that.

2. Last couple of pages in your US passport should say "amendment and endorsements". Just include a copy of those. I believe I included all the pages that said that.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Filed: Timeline
On 8/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, RunTheRoad said:

Not sure we are speaking about the same country. Bribery gone from India? A cousin applied via the Seva Kendra in Mumbai in 2017 and yes, he did have to bribe. Nothing region-specific about this national everdemic (an ever present pandemic).

Just giving my experience of decades. So a good evidence that it may be region specific in India. Get surprised as you may, but none of my friends or relatives ever had to for any passport related activity in India! Perhaps some are just used to bribing as an instinct 😆

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 10:06 PM, Jot18 said:

1. That's correct. They just print like that.

2. Last couple of pages in your US passport should say "amendment and endorsements". Just include a copy of those. I believe I included all the pages that said that.

@Jot18: I followed your guide, applied on Aug 9 and voila, my renunciation certificate will be delivered today. Just ten days! Thank you so much for this valuable resource. I wish someone would make this a pinned post. Now, to the other dragon: the OCI card. I just looked at their application process and it is so confusing and unclear. Do you have a similar guide for the OCI application too? Or can you point me to where I can find some guidance? Once again, thank you so very much for everything!

Timeline
12 hours ago, RunTheRoad said:

@Jot18: I followed your guide, applied on Aug 9 and voila, my renunciation certificate will be delivered today. Just ten days! Thank you so much for this valuable resource. I wish someone would make this a pinned post. Now, to the other dragon: the OCI card. I just looked at their application process and it is so confusing and unclear. Do you have a similar guide for the OCI application too? Or can you point me to where I can find some guidance? Once again, thank you so very much for everything!

No guide for OCI yet but I tried doing the application while ago and it wasn't working due to a glitch on the site and I just gave up. I can try help you with any questions you have. I will apply for OCI at some point and try to make a guide but ATM my 10 year visa is still valid till 2025. 

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

Hi Thank you all for your posts. It’s really helpful.

have a question regarding family name change to married name during naturalization. I changed my last name from maiden to married name but no change in first name. My naturalization certificate is printed with new last name. I did not get any other document for name change.

Now when I want to apply forIndian citizenship renunciation. They are asking for proof of name change. Not sure how to get that. Any one gone through this situation. Any help is appreciated.

How did you change your name? Via a judicial process or during same day oath? You must have received a slip of paper that says your name change has been approved. I am not sure how this works, but I agree, the entire process of applying for renunciation and OCI is a nightmare.

4 hours ago, B & H said:

Hi Thank you all for your posts. It’s really helpful.

have a question regarding family name change to married name during naturalization. I changed my last name from maiden to married name but no change in first name. My naturalization certificate is printed with new last name. I did not get any other document for name change.

Now when I want to apply forIndian citizenship renunciation. They are asking for proof of name change. Not sure how to get that. Any one gone through this situation. Any help is appreciated.

49 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

How did you change your name? Via a judicial process or during same day oath? You must have received a slip of paper that says your name change has been approved. I am not sure how this works, but I agree, the entire process of applying for renunciation and OCI is a nightmare.

Mine was administrative oath. Immigration officer told me that the change is only last name to married name no need of judicial oath and did not give any other document.

• 1 month later...

I need to apply for Renunciation and OCI, but saw this on the website - anyone know if we should hold off on applying right now?

CKGS contract with the Government of India is ending on October 31st, 2020. Thus, applicants only with the compelling reason are requested to contact the Indian Mission/post directly to apply for the Indian Passport, OCI, Renunciation, and Indian Visa.

CKGS website will not allow applicants to fill out any new application, w.e.f. October 14th, 2020 at 5pm EST.

3 minutes ago, swissbuttercream said:

I need to apply for Renunciation and OCI, but saw this on the website - anyone know if we should hold off on applying right now?

CKGS contract with the Government of India is ending on October 31st, 2020. Thus, applicants only with the compelling reason are requested to contact the Indian Mission/post directly to apply for the Indian Passport, OCI, Renunciation, and Indian Visa.

CKGS website will not allow applicants to fill out any new application, w.e.f. October 14th, 2020 at 5pm EST.

I heard a new contractor has already been picked, but I would hold off, if I were you. I've been reading about incidents of missed passports and CKGS not returning enquiries.

Timeline
8 hours ago, swissbuttercream said:

Don't send your passport in middle of the transfer. Wait few weeks/months until they set up clear instructions. VFS global is new provider and will start Nov 2.

https://www.americanbazaaronline.com/2020/10/10/indian-embassy-in-us-changes-visa-services-provider-442712/

I-90 Green Card Timeline

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

OK. so now that i have received my US passport i just checked and found out this 

Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card

It is informed that CKGS is no longer the service provider for OCI services for the Embassy of India, Washington DC or its Consulates in Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, New York and San Francisco. The new service provider would start operations from 02 November, 2020 the details of which will be provided in due course. Till that time, the OCI services will remain suspended.

In case of any specific queries, please email to fsoci.washington@mea.gov.in

So i wait till next week and see which agency is going to handle this before beginning. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.