tamiisaqt

Canadian’s returning to Canada during Covid border closure?

10 posts in this topic

Have any Canadian citizens living in the US been able to successfully return to Canada crossing a land border for a visit during this border closure? Canadian border website says Canadian citizens and immediate family are exempt, but they are not clear about Canadian’s living abroad and their family. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, tamiisaqt said:

Have any Canadian citizens living in the US been able to successfully return to Canada crossing a land border for a visit during this border closure? Canadian border website says Canadian citizens and immediate family are exempt, but they are not clear about Canadian’s living abroad and their family. 

Are the Canadian's living abroad and their families citizens of Canada?

YMMV

2 hours ago, payxibka said:

Are the Canadian's living abroad and their families citizens of Canada?

Yes, I am a Canadian citizen living in US with my children (born here) and husband (American) My family lives in Canada.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you're a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport, you can't be fully denied entry, it doesn't matter if you live in the states. You'll want to follow the quarantine guidelines to avoid any trouble with authorities, so don't expect to be able to do very much for the first 14 days. Your husband could possibly still be denied entry, especially if you're not planning to move back to Canada. The exemption is meant to help re-unite families, not for a couple to temporarily visit. I'm not sure how strongly enforced the family exemption is.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm the USC and my Canadian hubby was visiting when the shutdown happened. He ended up staying three months. When he drove back, they did let him back into Canada, with lots of questions and a health screen. They had very strict rules about self-quarantining. He had to have a plan to prove he could self-isolate for two weeks. They (both BC and the Canadian federal government) then called him at home to follow up and make sure he was self-isolating. So  yes, the Canadian can return. But me? If I want to visit him, I have to be able to commit to two weeks of self-isolating. I can't do that due to work. So we won't see each other until restrictions lift or until he gets through the rest of the immigration process

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, tamiisaqt said:

Didn't cross a land border but returned to Canada twice since May 1st. As a citizen, you will be allowed entry into Canada by land but if you're not a US citizen or LPR, you may not be allowed to drive back (though I read you can fly back). I drove next to a border crossing on the 401 in Ontario (near Prescott) and there was a sign that read "Border is closed." I didn't try to investigate if it actually was. I'm a dual citizen so likely would be allowed entry into the US by land but it probably wouldn't be a smooth/routine crossing.

Report back if you try it.

Timeline

I just made a similar post actually. I am a Canadian citizen and my daughter is one by right, although officially a US citizen. I am just concerned because I am not able to stay for 15 days and don’t know if I’d be allowed in if I stay for less than 15 days. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, mvan said:

I just made a similar post actually. I am a Canadian citizen and my daughter is one by right, although officially a US citizen. I am just concerned because I am not able to stay for 15 days and don’t know if I’d be allowed in if I stay for less than 15 days. 

Both my trips were under a week so this is a non-issue in Ontario, at least. There's just no way to enforce the full 14-day suggested quarantine. Other provinces may have more stringent rules but, even then, I can't see how a self-quarantine is enforceable.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mounat02 said:

Both my trips were under a week so this is a non-issue in Ontario, at least. There's just no way to enforce the full 14-day suggested quarantine. Other provinces may have more stringent rules but, even then, I can't see how a self-quarantine is enforceable.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/04/government-of-canada-updates-mandatory-requirements-for-travellers-entering-canada.html

Unless you are exempt you have to quarantine. It is not suggested it is mandatory. There are fines. It’s a Canada wide order. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, MWhite said:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2020/04/government-of-canada-updates-mandatory-requirements-for-travellers-entering-canada.html

Unless you are exempt you have to quarantine. It is not suggested it is mandatory. There are fines. It’s a Canada wide order. 

Not exempt and was quarantined. Just didn't stay the full 14 days due to circumstances.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.