moes998

I-134 Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello, glad to find this website and community as I begin my journey to sponsor fiance.

I submitted my I-129F last week, and (knock on wood) It will be approved.

so, I'm moving on to the requirements for the interview, so I can be overprepared when that time eventually comes.

My question is regarding the affadaviat of support. for 2018 and 2019, I made enough to cover the salary requirements, but, it was working overseas. Meaning I filed tax returns, but didnt end up owing taxes for those amounts. Will those amounts still be counted, or should it be a salary that was earned in the USA and taxes paid?

to go along with this, I am back in the USA starting january 2020, due to covid19 travel restrictions. I'm currently looking for work. hoping to have my job situation worked out long before the interview, but would having a new job and being there less than a year have any effect on the interview?

Is it safer to have a parent co-sponsor?

thanks for the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hello and welcome to VJ! Can I suggest something that makes it so much easier for us to help you and for your to help others- please create your timeline- if you are on a desktop click on your user name in the upper right hand corner , then click on "My Timeline" and then click on "Edit/Add my timeline". If you are on a mobile please click "menu" in the upper right hand corner, "Immigration timelines" and then "edit/add my timeline". VJ will populate an estimate of when your case will be approved, you can easily follow other members that have similar timelines, etc. 

Don't worry about your 2018 and 2019 income- that is great that you filed taxes and can submit that as part of the I-864 but what is needed is current income. Having a job and being there less than a year does not necessarily have a negative effect. What is key is your current income. Assuming you will be a household of 2 (no kids) then you need to make a minimum of 125% of the poverty guidelines. Start looking for a job ASAP (think places like Amazon and grocery stores that are hiring like crazy and then maybe you can move your way into your chosen career; but something is better than nothing) For example- if your job is minimum wage and you work 3 days a week you most likely won't be fulfilling the requirement come interview time but if you have a full time $20 per hour job you would meet the requirement. You luckily have months to obtain a good job. If you are concerned you may not meet this requirement definitely start looking for a joint sponsor; a parent would be a great option pending they meet the requirements and are on board with it. As I said, luckily for you you have time to prepare and can even obtain 2 jobs if necessary. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline

Thank You! I think I added the timeline correctly now? I hope? :)

That's great to hear actually. So even if I get employed the month before the interview, as long as I am making over the required amount, then it's all good?

There is a small chance I'll be able to return to my international job before the K-1 Interview is scheduled. If that's the case, and my income is still overseas income, would that be ok?

For your region, looks like they actually request an i864 which means you have to meet the 125% criteria instead of the 100% in a i134. And on salary, check what’s stated on the Wages, salaries, tips etc. line on the first page of the tax transcripts and if it exceeded the poverty guideline requirement.

if you’re not working, it’s better to find a job quickly since the stability and length of your employment could affect the decision of the CO. And if you can get your parents to sponsor for you, I’d say go for it since it’s only going to help during the interview.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Supplements/Supplements_by_Post/GUZ-Guangzhou.html

Timeline

Thank you for the information. I am currently looking for work, hoping I can land something soon.

I don’t think my mother will have a problem to sign on as a sponsor, so I think we will go that route just to be safe.

I’m glad to at least have started this process, and received NOA1. With so much uncertainty, who knows where I will be once I hear back on my application, but happy to get the ball rolling.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.