bobjennyhitched

Delays in Social Security Number

40 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I moved in April about 6 weeks ago. I'm still waiting on my Social Security Card. I called up and they said it hadn't been issued yet. Has anyone else experience this, especially during COVID?

I want to get back to work, my company transferred me to the US HQ. I applied for the SSN on my DS-260 and have proof of this. I'm waiting on a call from a supervisor, but I'm not sure why it's not been actioned etc... or if it's just a delay. Also, I don't believe I can get my driving licence without it and it's driving me up the wall having to rely on others for lifts or on taxis etc.....

Any advice would be appreciated? Also - MODs move this if needed, I couldn't find a category for SSN but that could be me as it's 3am where I am :)

wpid-1030ldr.gif

I don't have an answer to your main question, but I wonder why you are waiting for your SSC to start working? To be able to work you only need to show proof of one of the items under list A here. A copy of your IV with the I551 stamp should be enough to be employable.

Obviously, the SSC is required to pay taxes and get paid, but perhaps you could take a gamble and start work before that? Your SSC might arrive just in time.

Not an expert here, so I might be wrong - though I hope I am not. I'm moving July 4 and starting work on August 17, so 6 weeks is about as long as I can wait if I do need my SSC to start work.

19 minutes ago, Pavli said:

I don't have an answer to your main question, but I wonder why you are waiting for your SSC to start working? To be able to work you only need to show proof of one of the items under list A here. A copy of your IV with the I551 stamp should be enough to be employable.

Obviously, the SSC is required to pay taxes and get paid, but perhaps you could take a gamble and start work before that? Your SSC might arrive just in time.

Not an expert here, so I might be wrong - though I hope I am not. I'm moving July 4 and starting work on August 17, so 6 weeks is about as long as I can wait if I do need my SSC to start work.

I'm just frustrated as I did everything right and still waiting on it. I hopefully will get a call from the local SSA soon, but with the offices closed how do I get one? Considering I requested it on the DS-260 I shouldn't have to do this. Grrrrrr I'll keep this updated.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

22 hours ago, jennywhite421 said:

I'm just frustrated as I did everything right and still waiting on it. I hopefully will get a call from the local SSA soon, but with the offices closed how do I get one? Considering I requested it on the DS-260 I shouldn't have to do this. Grrrrrr I'll keep this updated.

You should have been enumerated on entry and have your SSN by now. Based on the experience of others, some proportion of those who apply on the DS-260 don't receive their SSN so you may just be unlucky. The first thing I would do is call your local SSA card centre: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp). Note this won't be the same number as the central SSA office. They will usually take your name, date and place of birth. If they can't find a record of you with those details, ask them to search just using your USCIS/alien number (you can find this on your visa). I've read online that machine-readable UK passports have a tendency when scanned to be incorrectly transcribed onto the system. Specifically, it combines your first and middle name (not sure why). Searching with the alien number gets round this. If no record can be found, you can ask your card centre if they will accept a mailed-in application. If they do, download the form from the SSA website and send in your documents. Unfortunately, this does mean sending in original documents (passport, green card etc, full list on the SSA website) but you can courier them for peace of mind. Failing all of the above, you'd need to wait until the field offices re-open. 

As an aside, have you received your green card yet?

Edited by razorontour

On 6/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, razorontour said:

You should have been enumerated on entry and have your SSN by now. Based on the experience of others, some proportion of those who apply on the DS-260 don't receive their SSN so you may just be unlucky. The first thing I would do is call your local SSA card centre: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp). Note this won't be the same number as the central SSA office. They will usually take your name, date and place of birth. If they can't find a record of you with those details, ask them to search just using your USCIS/alien number (you can find this on your visa). I've read online that machine-readable UK passports have a tendency when scanned to be incorrectly transcribed onto the system. Specifically, it combines your first and middle name (not sure why). Searching with the alien number gets round this. If no record can be found, you can ask your card centre if they will accept a mailed-in application. If they do, download the form from the SSA website and send in your documents. Unfortunately, this does mean sending in original documents (passport, green card etc, full list on the SSA website) but you can courier them for peace of mind. Failing all of the above, you'd need to wait until the field offices re-open. 

No I haven't received my Greencard as yet, do you know where I chase this?

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 6/11/2020 at 11:13 AM, razorontour said:

Hi again, any idea what form reference it is for a new SSN? Was going to start getting it ready whilst waiting on my greencard

wpid-1030ldr.gif

3 hours ago, jennywhite421 said:

No I haven't received my Greencard as yet, do you know where I chase this?

You would ordinarily chase this via USCIS but unless it's been more than 120 days since the later of I) payment of the card production fee or II) entry into the US, they won't even entertain your call. 

1 hour ago, jennywhite421 said:

Hi again, any idea what form reference it is for a new SSN? Was going to start getting it ready whilst waiting on my greencard

It's called the SS5, all the information you need (including the form) can be found here: https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02017

Hi - I think we are in similar situation as I also transferred my work from Canada to US and was able to start working as soon I entered without the SSN. 

You should be able to work but the issue may be getting paid without ssn. I applied for my ssn on the DS260 but have not received it yet so I was told to wait until the SSA reopens or apply via mail which requires sending original documents such as passport and SS5 form. I am a little reluctant on sending the passport right now so I haven't done it.

11 hours ago, CC250 said:

Hi - I think we are in similar situation as I also transferred my work from Canada to US and was able to start working as soon I entered without the SSN. 

You should be able to work but the issue may be getting paid without ssn. I applied for my ssn on the DS260 but have not received it yet so I was told to wait until the SSA reopens or apply via mail which requires sending original documents such as passport and SS5 form. I am a little reluctant on sending the passport right now so I haven't done it.

Hi, I called my local SSA, I'm waiting for a call back for an emergency appointment. I'm not sure where you are in the States, but this is what they said in Denver, Colorado. I think we just can't walk in like you usually can before the pandemic. How long have you been in the US?

wpid-1030ldr.gif

5 hours ago, jennywhite421 said:

Hi, I called my local SSA, I'm waiting for a call back for an emergency appointment. I'm not sure where you are in the States, but this is what they said in Denver, Colorado. I think we just can't walk in like you usually can before the pandemic. How long have you been in the US?

I am in LA - been here since end of April. 

I called the local SSA last week and they said they weren't doing any face to face appointment but I can mail the SS5 and passport. I asked how long and it could take 2 weeks to a month depending if they have any issues. Were you able to get a F2F appointment?

21 hours ago, CC250 said:

I am in LA - been here since end of April. 

I called the local SSA last week and they said they weren't doing any face to face appointment but I can mail the SS5 and passport. I asked how long and it could take 2 weeks to a month depending if they have any issues. Were you able to get a F2F appointment?

Still waiting on the call back, I'll keep you updated. Sounds like you arrived around the same time as me. I called and no number was assigned at all, makes me suspicious that someone's made an error :(

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi guys,

I am in the same boat as my EAD was approved on May 29th still I get my SSN and have a pending job offer which requires me to have a SS#. I called the SSA but they asked me to mail in my originals like passport and EAD card along with SS-5 application. 

I sent in my originals and they have now processed my application and soon will send me back my originals in certified mail.

I hope this helps for all those who want to apply for a social card.

15 hours ago, GSKhanuja said:

Hi guys,

I am in the same boat as my EAD was approved on May 29th still I get my SSN and have a pending job offer which requires me to have a SS#. I called the SSA but they asked me to mail in my originals like passport and EAD card along with SS-5 application. 

I sent in my originals and they have now processed my application and soon will send me back my originals in certified mail.

I hope this helps for all those who want to apply for a social card.

Thank you, I'm getting frustrated with the ignorance in this state. They try to say I'm not an urgent case. Honestly, taking the p*** now. Thank you for your comment.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
6 hours ago, jennywhite421 said:

Thank you, I'm getting frustrated with the ignorance in this state. They try to say I'm not an urgent case. Honestly, taking the p*** now. Thank you for your comment.

I know they say they can only process if its an urgent case as they are only handling emergency cases. 

Maybe if you don't have an insurance and you want to get added to the insurance that can be treated as an emergency to them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.