bobjennyhitched

Delays in Social Security Number

40 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, GSKhanuja said:

Congrats...!!!

Took me four phone calls over 3 weeks and putting on my best British accent lol! If anyone else is trying to get an appointment, you need a letter from your employer as right now they are only doing emergency appointments for people who have work waiting. That will probably change as lock-down lifts.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 6/15/2020 at 10:13 PM, CC250 said:

Hi - I think we are in similar situation as I also transferred my work from Canada to US and was able to start working as soon I entered without the SSN. 

You should be able to work but the issue may be getting paid without ssn. I applied for my ssn on the DS260 but have not received it yet so I was told to wait until the SSA reopens or apply via mail which requires sending original documents such as passport and SS5 form. I am a little reluctant on sending the passport right now so I haven't done it.

did you manage to get sorted? Have you called to see if you can get an emergency appointment? I've done that in Colorado, are they doing that where you are? California right?

wpid-1030ldr.gif

11 hours ago, jennywhite421 said:

did you manage to get sorted? Have you called to see if you can get an emergency appointment? I've done that in Colorado, are they doing that where you are? California right?

Hi! I am working on it - I called again today and they said they can schedule me an emergency appointment and by the sounds of it, I will have to provide the original documents (including employment letter) for them to review at the front window and they will verify me there. Now I was told by the ssa representative that the last step may differ by supervisor as they may ask to take your original documents and make photocopies of it and return to you OR make you drop your orginal documents in a drop box and they will mail it to you. I hope I can get the ssn processed and return home with my original documents. 

12 hours ago, CC250 said:

Hi! I am working on it - I called again today and they said they can schedule me an emergency appointment and by the sounds of it, I will have to provide the original documents (including employment letter) for them to review at the front window and they will verify me there. Now I was told by the ssa representative that the last step may differ by supervisor as they may ask to take your original documents and make photocopies of it and return to you OR make you drop your orginal documents in a drop box and they will mail it to you. I hope I can get the ssn processed and return home with my original documents. 

Me too, good luck! Keep me updated :)

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 6/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, CC250 said:

Had my appointment, they interviewed me, I should receive it within two weeks :)

wpid-1030ldr.gif

9 hours ago, CC250 said:

Woo-hoo!  I had mine too and they told me 5 to 10 business days :)

I received my Green Card at the weekend too! Woohoo again!

wpid-1030ldr.gif

Hi! @jennywhite421 Thank you for making this thread. Do you know what is included in the employer letter? I called two different local offices in LA. Both said it was fine to submit, but I still got a denial letter. It's really annoying because I also asked them to apply for SSN on my DS-260. It's really frustrating?

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

@CC250I also live in LA. I submitted the application including the originals. Just make sure you track receipt. I just got a rejection letter today stating that I have to wait until the offices open. I will call again. LA already re-opened gyms but they can't open a federal agency... sigh. 

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

1 hour ago, neodragon0l said:

@CC250I also live in LA. I submitted the application including the originals. Just make sure you track receipt. I just got a rejection letter today stating that I have to wait until the offices open. I will call again. LA already re-opened gyms but they can't open a federal agency... sigh. 

Did you just submit the application and original documents to local SSA? For first time ssn, someone from ssa needs to verify you face to face so if you only just submitted the documents,  I think that may be why it was denied. I hope you got your documents back! 

Try and see if you can schedule an emergency appointment which I what I did, but you may need a reason like employment letter or else you may have to wait till they decide to open. 

I got my passport back but not the ssn yet...the SSA supervisor said it may take 5 to 10 business days but will let know you when I receive it. 

Edited by CC250

2 hours ago, neodragon0l said:

Hi! @jennywhite421 Thank you for making this thread. Do you know what is included in the employer letter? I called two different local offices in LA. Both said it was fine to submit, but I still got a denial letter. It's really annoying because I also asked them to apply for SSN on my DS-260. It's really frustrating?

Hi! Your welcome :)

In my letter it included that I was being transferred from the UK side of the company to the US side and the date of transfer (today funnily enough, but it could be start date if its a new job) and also the contact details of the HR person. He also wrote this "Because she will be working in the US, being paid in the US, she will need a social security number.  We at CoorsTek need this number to report on her W2 otherwise we will be subject to fines.". 

In addition, I printed out my DS-260 and pointed out to them at my appointment that I had, in fact, already applied for it. Also, over the phone, I pushed for it as I have asthma (moderate) and was in need of health insurance so also need it for that. 

It is frustrating as I called a few times before I got an answer out of them, never got a denial letter though.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

14 minutes ago, CC250 said:

Did you just submit the application and original documents to local SSA? For first time ssn, someone from ssa needs to verify you face to face so if you only just submitted the documents,  I think that may be why it was denied. I hope you got your documents back! 

Try and see if you can schedule an emergency appointment which I what I did, but you may need a reason like employment letter or else you may have to wait till they decide to open. 

I got my passport back but not the ssn yet...the SSA supervisor said it may take 5 to 10 business days but will let know you when I receive it. 

@neodragon0l To add, I got a face-to-face appointment, that's all they are accepting in Colorado right now. When I did call one person suggested the online system, I was like "I NEED MY SSN FOR THAT!" I don't usually get annoyed but I did. Very annoying. They also told me to call back if I don't receive it within two weeks.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 7/1/2020 at 12:05 AM, jennywhite421 said:

@neodragon0l To add, I got a face-to-face appointment, that's all they are accepting in Colorado right now. When I did call one person suggested the online system, I was like "I NEED MY SSN FOR THAT!" I don't usually get annoyed but I did. Very annoying. They also told me to call back if I don't receive it within two weeks.

Update: I got my SSN!! I haven't received the green card yet though but I think the rule is to contact USCIS after 120 days 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.