RPete

Canadian Government Considering Exceptions to Land Border Closures

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This article states that Prime Minister Trudeau has been receiving feed back from families about the border closures. May I suggest we all write our MPs and add our voices to this cause? This should include children, spouses and fiances.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-exploring-ways-to-reunite-families-divided-by-covid-19-border-closure/ar-BB14LK7g?ocid=spartanntp

Here is where you find your Member of Parliament:

https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Carlcayl said:

Wow! The Prime Minister heard us and is supposed to be changing the laws tomorrow for immediate relatives!!! ❤️ 2 week quarantine but we can finally see our spouses! I'm so happy!

That's great! So excited for you guys! My MP emailed me back with the updates today which was super nice. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, travusb said:

What do you guys think the chance is for a fiance being able to enter Canada as a family member?

I don't think the chances are that great, to be honest. My MP encouraged me to also contact Bill Blair as "fiances" aren't listed. It's quite ridiculous.

It's important to note, however, that flying in and out of Canada to the states is permitted. The restrictions are only for the land borders. Don't know if this helps.

4 hours ago, RPete said:

I don't think the chances are that great, to be honest. My MP encouraged me to also contact Bill Blair as "fiances" aren't listed. It's quite ridiculous.

It's important to note, however, that flying in and out of Canada to the states is permitted. The restrictions are only for the land borders. Don't know if this helps.

Exclusive: Canada, U.S. set to extend border closure to end-July - sources

I am affraid this is for Air also

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Giovanna024 said:

Has someone been turned away flying to see their fiance? Was that person going north or south? Because the actual order says air travel only and there have been fiances sans visa able to go south. 

22 minutes ago, RPete said:

Has someone been turned away flying to see their fiance? Was that person going north or south? Because the actual order says air travel only and there have been fiances sans visa able to go south. 

I hope its air Travel. I am also so sad, my fiance is Canadian and I am GC holder😞😞😞

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, Giovanna024 said:

The border closure was never for air.

If you go to one of the posts in the Canada thread, there is a post I created with 3 proper sources outlining that it's land only.

Edit: your big bolded text also doesn't link anywhere, just letting you know.

Edited by Zaraliaya

Timeline

I read this article today, and I hope some people will find it helpful. There is quite a bit of pushback from fiances separated by the land border closure:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cross-border-blues-covid-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-1.5606910

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, RPete said:

I read this article today, and I hope some people will find it helpful. There is quite a bit of pushback from fiances separated by the land border closure:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/cross-border-blues-covid-coronavirus-travel-restrictions-1.5606910

I appreciate the article, it's nice to read an article from someone who understands the pain some of us go through. Reading a lot of public opinions on the border shutdown has been discouraging recently, with a lot of people seemingly outright celebrating it, with no regard to those of us who have strong connections to the other side of the border. I know keeping people safe is the priority, I can't pretend to know what the right way to approach the border restrictions are, I just wish people would have a little more empathy about it.

Edited by JacobP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, RPete said:

I don't understand why fiance's aren't included though, especially if we can prove with paper work, or our NoAs that we are legit trying to get married, and aren't just saying we are engaged to get over the border.

I know the closure isn't permanent but, when I read forums with people super happy and hope that border stays closed forever, it makes me so mad that they don't care about people who actually have family over there that they haven't seen in months due to this.

And with not all embassies resuming visa services yet that's an added frustration.

I could rant forever about this, lol

Timeline
5 hours ago, JacobP said:

I appreciate the article, it's nice to read an article from someone who understands the pain some of us go through. Reading a lot of public opinions on the border shutdown has been discouraging recently, with a lot of people seemingly outright celebrating it, with no regard to those of us who have strong connections to the other side of the border. I know keeping people safe is the priority, I can't pretend to know what the right way to approach the border restrictions are, I just wish people would have a little more empathy about it.

Oh I know. And thankfully they disabled comments on this article. It's super frustrating to see how awful people are!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all I know it is disappointing fiancés were not included. A MP has started a petition to include fiancé’s I hope this helps in some way. 

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-2657

I have also contacted my local MP she got back to me but she wasn’t aware fiances were not included so I am waiting to hear back, I have sent Mr. Trudeau a letter with no response, and I have sent Andrew Scheer a letter as well as the official opposition who’s interest lies in opening the border. I am thinking of also contacting the Ambassador to Canada. 

I have also directly asked MTL what phase they are in according to the DOS reopening plan. I have no heard back yet but if I do I will report my answer. 

Edited by ashley_ann

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.