Jump to content
senghor

I-130 does signature need to match other documents?

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hello all,

My spouse's signature does not normally include both names. Instead he writes "PS" with an upside down cross drawn through it, and then a strikethrough/underline. It's not recognizable as his name and is difficult to fit in the signature box, since it's tall instead of long. Is this acceptable? Should he just sign our I-130 form in cursive? 

 

His identification papers and our marriage certificate all have this signature.

 

Thanks,

-A&P 


  • Married March 2018
  • I-130 received in Phoenix June 11 2020
  • I-130 approved January 14th, 2021. NVC received Jan 17th 2021
  • NVC application filed,, docs submitted, and fees paid Feb 4th, 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 hours ago, senghor said:

Hello all,

My spouse's signature does not normally include both names. Instead he writes "PS" with an upside down cross drawn through it, and then a strikethrough/underline. It's not recognizable as his name and is difficult to fit in the signature box, since it's tall instead of long. Is this acceptable? Should he just sign our I-130 form in cursive? 

 

His identification papers and our marriage certificate all have this signature.

 

Thanks,

-A&P 

A signature is a signature. It is not required to be legible as a name or any other "word".  It does not need to "fit".  For the I-130 only the petitioner's signature is required.  The foreign spouse's signature is NOT required on the I-130a unless they are IN THE USA WHEN IT IS FILED.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/29/2020 at 4:01 PM, pushbrk said:

A signature is a signature. It is not required to be legible as a name or any other "word".  It does not need to "fit".  For the I-130 only the petitioner's signature is required.  The foreign spouse's signature is NOT required on the I-130a unless they are IN THE USA WHEN IT IS FILED.

I have a question regarding this. I am going to be the foreign spouse and we are planning to file when I am visiting in the US (right before I leave to return to Canada). Can i put my signature at this time?

 

Also, not providing a signature (for e.g. if i'm back in Canada and she files without me present) is okay then, which is what you are saying, correct?

 

Thanks

 

Mel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, rainbow-skies said:

I have a question regarding this. I am going to be the foreign spouse and we are planning to file when I am visiting in the US (right before I leave to return to Canada). Can i put my signature at this time?

 

Also, not providing a signature (for e.g. if i'm back in Canada and she files without me present) is okay then, which is what you are saying, correct?

 

Thanks

 

Mel

My advice is to file right after you leave the USA instead of right before.  You can sign anyway if you want.  


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...