EvaYogiBear

Working on a cruise ship while on Advance Parole?

2 posts in this topic

Hello, this is a question regarding Advance Parole, I've read a few threads about it, but my case is a bit more specific, so looking to see if anyone can help. 

I'm on AOS in the US (from K-1), still waiting for my EAD/AP. My question is, once I get my AP, can I then go away for 3/4 months to go work on a ship? My American husband and I met and worked on cruise hips before moving back to the US, and even though we obviously want to settle in the country asap, going back to work on ships will be the quickest way to earn back some money that we spent recently (immigration, wedding, etc) and certainly easier than job hunting in the US in the near future, especially since the pandemic caused unemployment rates to skyrocket. We also work in the entertainment industry, which has been highly impacted and will take a long time to bounce back. We know cruise ships will take a while to go back in operation too, but we would go back to a former employer, so it would be a sure gig that we know we can go back to (whenever that happens!). 

Our lawyer says going away on AP should ideally only be for emergencies or or if really necessary, but I thought the whole point was giving people the opportunity to leave while they're waiting for their green card?? Do you think that the pandemic will impact the use of AP? 

Thank you and hope you are all safe.

Theoretically, it is possible for you to do this if you have both the AP/EAD combo. However, and this is a big however, this is a HUGE risk. Because your AOS interview can come at any time. Going away for a couple of weeks is viable, but being away for 3/4 months means you will not be here in case immigration needs you right away. what if there is an RFE you have to immediately apply to? Or what if the interview comes sooner than you think? Not only that, with the current pandemic, you could be stuck on a ship or a port if another outbreak happens.

There was a woman who went back to her home country for a visa after she got her AP. She ended up missing her AOS interview which led to it being denied. The reason was she was not here to receive the interview date (she claimed she had someone check her mail but they didn't see the USCIS mail or something like that). So she had to start all over again.

I know times are hard and you want to make some money but that type of situation of being away that long is too much of a risk, imo.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.