T&f2020

k1 visa evidence

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Sorry everyone. New to visa journey and I'm not totally convinced that I'm posting things in the correct place :(

Re-posting

Hi everyone, 

My fiance and I are in the process of filing within the next month of so and I really want to make sure that we cover everything needed from us.  Within a year I visited him twice and we have ample and overwhelming amount of evidence, but I don't want to over do it with evidence.  Since the day we met (April 2019), we had NEVER missed a day of phone call and text message. At times for hours per day.  We have become night owls. The struggles of long distance relationship ya'll :) but I wouldn't have it any other way.  The second time I went back to see my fiance, I was there for 2 months, we traveled around the country and lived together and  we have hundreds of pictures. Any pointers with how to submit 'reasonable' amount of evidence? calls, chats, pictures etc?  How detailed is too detailed when writing intent to marry? or do you write a separate letter explaining how you met and the love story? 

I"m asking all of this because we filed k1 visa on 8/5/19 and it was denied due to lack to 'sufficient evidence'.  I did not seek professional help ( I wonder if getting a lawyer makes any difference at all?) and in hindsight I honesty did not do such a good job with the application, especially looking at how much information people on here know (as well as other) and submit. I was heartbroken when we got denied ( I waited outside the embassy for an hour and it was the worst day of my life) but then I started doing research and I think we did the bare minimum of preparing our information/documents. I only followed the basic instruction listed on USCIS' page.  E.g I did not even explain how we met :( I only submitted intent to marry and it was all to say I am free and willing to marry.  Since then we have learned that bare minimum isn't enough but now I'm nervous that I'm going to over do it with evidence and documents. The interview was in Jan 2020. 

Your advice is so appreciated and valued! 

I have seen people on here get denied and I feel it because it is so painful to experience that.  It is no fun to go through such a pain but the only way to move forward is to confide in each other with your loved one!  We have grown so much as a couple and as individuals since this whole process. Even though it's still difficult and frustrating, immigration isn't something within our control and we have taken this time to be more patient, understanding and grow professionally and personally with each other and I truly hope those of you who have fallen into this frustration can find a bright light within each other and get your turn to see light at the end of the tunnel sooner than later!.  I will stop my ranting here. 

Edited 45 minutes ago by T&f2020

Edited by T&f2020

You were already denied.  Why not just get married and do a CR-1?  A lawyer cannot help.  For some embassies, approval rates are better for spousal visas, plus denials can be appealed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

You were already denied.  Why not just get married and do a CR-1?  A lawyer cannot help.  For some embassies, approval rates are better for spousal visas, plus denials can be appealed.

I agree. 

What the USCIS and Consulate look at are two different things.   You passed the USCIS part but didn't get past the Consulate.

How strong was the I-134?  How was the tone of the interview?  Any red flags like age gap, religion, relationships out of the cultural norms?

Having more evidence than just the bare minimum is important since the consulate does not have to consider anything brought in other than the I-134.

What it boils down to now is looking at the risks.   If you file another K1 you know that you need a stronger petition.  You can probably file the now and get in line.  Unfortunately if denied you are right back here.  If get married and file a spousal visa petition you can appeal a refusal by the consulate when the case gets back to USCIS.  It will take more time since you would have to marry and collect more documentation.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.