Zaraliaya

Flying to the USA from Canada

75 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My concern with flying to the US to see my husband is that I have received my DQ and the email from NVC states not to make any travel plans at this time. I asked my lawyer about it and she advised not going because I would be considered a flight risk. Since my CR1 application was received in January 2019, I have been flying regularly to the US to see my husband, keeping my collective time spent there below 6 months, and always with minimal proof of return to Canada (never been asked to show it) I don't want to risk being banned from going to the US but I haven't seen my husband since late February. It's looking like my interview in Montreal could be as far off as 2021 (received DQ June 1st). 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/24/2020 at 3:22 PM, Prairiegirl3 said:

Has anyone flown into the US from Vancouver? I’m considering doing so at the end of July but am nervous if they’ll let me through. 

I've heard they are letting anyone cross in Vancouver. No issues. I'll be flying thru there from saskatoon on the 11th.

1 minute ago, RPete said:

I've heard they are letting anyone cross in Vancouver. No issues. I'll be flying thru there from saskatoon on the 11th.

I dont think there is any issue Canadians coming to US By AIR. There are issues with oposit experience, its harder for US to go to CA. 

01/14/2020 - filed N400 Miami FL

01/18/2020 - NOA Biometric scheduled 

02/05/2020 - Biometrics done 

03/13/2020 - Interview scheduled - canceled due Covid19

08/19/2020 - Interview 

08/27/2020 - OATH Ceremony MIAMI FL 

Done with USCIS  !!!! Good luck everyone!

Timeline

Yes I have just heard a story that confirmed that you can fly to the US but not get across a land border.  My cousin wanted to visit her husband in the US (only an hour drive away, a few minutes south of the border.....) and in order to get there she had to get on a plane, go through two different airports on the US to turn around and get to see her husband only minutes from the Canadian border. Because those rules make sense..... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/18/2020 at 6:00 PM, Zaraliaya said:

So, Ive been hearing a lot of people saying Canadians can visit the US, so I looked it up and found that the border closed thing, is only LAND based.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/24/2020-06217/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service   --3rd Paragraph from bottom

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1596?language=en_US   --scroll down to canadian restrictions

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/   --First question of Q&A

They all say we can fly there. What do you all think?

I was just on the line with « VisaPlace » and asked about flying in, the lawyer said « don’t », unless you’re a close relative or it is an emergency, they will most likely refuse you entry. I guess you can take the chance? Let me know if you took it! :)

7 minutes ago, MFL said:

they will most likely refuse you entry.

To visit the US? If so, I strongly disagree with that lawyer's assessment. @Rachel F entered easily via flight as a visitor last week:

Also @mvan's cousin:

Even visitors from Europe entered via flight after spending 2 weeks in Mexico:

Thus the CBP restrictions are only for land entry and ferry service;

US-Canada: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/24/2020-06217/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service

US-Mexico: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/03/24/2020-06253/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service

Since I doubt the embassy will conduct K1 interviews in August, I was thinking about visiting my girlfriend for 3-6 months, Of course, I have a few questions before considering this...

1. Will this effect the K1 visa in any way? I had an interview scheduled in April before its cancellation for context.

2. Is "going to stay with my girlfriend for 2-6 months" a reason someone has used to be allowed entry to fly in?

Edited by Dobbie

On 6/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, RPete said:

Would you be willing to let me know how it goes? I'm planning to fly from Vancouver on July 22 or 23 (booking flights tonight) and any information would be so helpful! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dobbie said:

Since I doubt the embassy will conduct K1 interviews in August, I was thinking about visiting my girlfriend for 3-6 months, Of course, I have a few questions before considering this...

1. Will this effect the K1 visa in any way? I had an interview scheduled in April before its cancellation for context.

2. Is "going to stay with my girlfriend for 2-6 months" a reason someone has used to be allowed entry to fly in?

1. Nope. As long as you don't overstay and stay within the rules of being a visitor (e.g. no working) it's perfectly fine. The only concern would be being able to get back with enough time to quarantine and do your medical before your new interview date. 

2. I'd word that better. Say you're going to see your fiance and don't offer a duration unless they ask for it. If they do, have a firm answer (giving a range rather than a set date is highly suspicious) and a return ticket to back it up (you can always change it if need be). Bring proof of being in the K1 process to support the fact that this is just a visit and you will not be staying/marrying/adjusting since saying you're visiting your fiance might result in some extra questions. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, Prairiegirl3 said:

Would you be willing to let me know how it goes? I'm planning to fly from Vancouver on July 22 or 23 (booking flights tonight) and any information would be so helpful! 

I will for sure. Sorry, I have my post notifications turned off lol, but I will send you a message with how it goes. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:18 PM, DGF said:

1. Nope. As long as you don't overstay and stay within the rules of being a visitor (e.g. no working) it's perfectly fine. The only concern would be being able to get back with enough time to quarantine and do your medical before your new interview date. 

2. I'd word that better. Say you're going to see your fiance and don't offer a duration unless they ask for it. If they do, have a firm answer (giving a range rather than a set date is highly suspicious) and a return ticket to back it up (you can always change it if need be). Bring proof of being in the K1 process to support the fact that this is just a visit and you will not be staying/marrying/adjusting since saying you're visiting your fiance might result in some extra questions. 

I'm considering doing end of July-end of November with a set date for each. Is 4 months too long/suspicious, in your opinion?

This is in Pennsylvania, one of the states that has it under control and has measures in place. So it's relatively safe enough in my opinion. I have to take a flight to New York to avoid the two-stoppers which I don't wanna do right now for obvious reasons.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Dobbie said:

I'm considering doing end of July-end of November with a set date for each. Is 4 months too long/suspicious, in your opinion?

This is in Pennsylvania, one of the states that has it under control and has measures in place. So it's relatively safe enough in my opinion. I have to take a flight to New York to avoid the two-stoppers which I don't wanna do right now for obvious reasons.

It's definitely possible since snowbirds do it every year but I think the longer you plan on staying the harder it'll be to prove that you're coming back so you should plan to have solid evidence such as a letter from your employer, a lease/evidence of owning a home, financial evidence you can afford the trip, return ticket, etc. Hopefully they won't ask but it's better to be prepared in case they do. 

Yeah, it's smart not doing multiple stopovers. I flew into Seattle two weeks ago and I was pretty surprised at how busy the domestic terminal was. Almost everyone was wearing masks but like, where are you all going right now?

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just got into Chicago from Canada a couple days ago on my K1. It was pretty busy at the airport since it was both Canada and Independence Day on the same week. Once you get in, beware there are bottlenecks as airlines have laid off staff. I got to the airport 2 hours before my flight and still missed it.

- I waited about 20-30 min to get a temperature check before checking in, this is mandatory at Pearson.
- Had issues with the digital kiosk scanning my K1 Visa on my passport, so had an additional 30-45 min spent waiting in the Check In queue.
- Security was quick, Customs line took over an hour, there were about 3-4 customs officers and the line was long.

Once I got thru customs, i was taken to a second screening room which was an additional 40 min, and I missed my flight. Was able to rebook and fly on the same day. 

Just be aware, once they stamp your K1 visa after customs (from what the Customs officer told me), you must fly out on the same day. I was booked for an early flight (8AM) and got lucky to get a flight on the same day. 

Tip: Pack snacks as the only stores opened are Duty Free and gift shops, stay hydrated, and best of luck!

Edited by nobu

On 7/3/2020 at 2:04 PM, DGF said:

It's definitely possible since snowbirds do it every year but I think the longer you plan on staying the harder it'll be to prove that you're coming back so you should plan to have solid evidence such as a letter from your employer, a lease/evidence of owning a home, financial evidence you can afford the trip, return ticket, etc. Hopefully they won't ask but it's better to be prepared in case they do. 

Yeah, it's smart not doing multiple stopovers. I flew into Seattle two weeks ago and I was pretty surprised at how busy the domestic terminal was. Almost everyone was wearing masks but like, where are you all going right now?

I should specify that I would resign from my job prior to have the chance to stay with her for four months. I have savings to do it and I don't have any payments to make other than my phone, which the initial contract has been paid off for.

I know it's reckless, but my heart and brain are at a tug-of-war on what to do. Logically it might bite me to leave my job, but I also haven't seen her for over a year soon and it's emotionally draining, especially since we were this close to wrapping it up.

I am also worried that quitting my job would cause issues at the interview and/or on my DS-160 form. The latter was submitted in January though. Would I need to update it? Or has someone else done this during the wait and has been ok?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Dobbie said:

I should specify that I would resign from my job prior to have the chance to stay with her for four months. I have savings to do it and I don't have any payments to make other than my phone, which the initial contract has been paid off for.

I know it's reckless, but my heart and brain are at a tug-of-war on what to do. Logically it might bite me to leave my job, but I also haven't seen her for over a year soon and it's emotionally draining, especially since we were this close to wrapping it up.

I am also worried that quitting my job would cause issues at the interview and/or on my DS-160 form. The latter was submitted in January though. Would I need to update it? Or has someone else done this during the wait and has been ok?

Quitting your job before visiting the US would be a huge red flag to the border officer even if you do have enough savings. I'd reconsider if possible. 

Not having a job won't cause issues with your interview since you'd have to quit anyway before immigrating (this is why the affidavit of support is so important). No need to update the DS-160 either, you can just let them know of any changes at your interview.  

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.