OluwaseunA

Does USCIS mail green cards of families in one piece or separately

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello there, 

I finally got my wife and daughter to the US, I paid the greencard fees before they arrived and used my new address, i also setup mail forwarding with USPS to have all mails addressed to me forwarded to my new address 

unfortunately, USCIS mailed my wife's greencard to the old address and from conversations with a USCIS representative, it was address to my wife so it skipped USPS' mail forwarding.

there are 4 residents in the house so it is difficult to track how it got missing.

I applied for a new card for my wife because i was told by the USCIS representative did not see a status on my daughter's receipt number indicating that her card has been sent to production.

tomorrow makes it a month and my daughter's status is still showing "Immigrant Visa Fee Payment Received" while my wife's status shows "Card Was Delivered"

My question: Could it be that because my daughter is a derivative of the wife's F2A petition(i filed a single petition), that the green card was produced and mailed together while my daughter's status was not updated on the system?

do we have anyone with on this platform who has more than one family member's green card mailed in the past?

Were they mailed together or separately? 

Did you file just one petition like mine with other family members as derivative of the application or did you file separately

i have also updated USCIS address forwarding for both of them just in case

Thanks

Edited by OluwaseunA
corrected typo and errors

Got LPR status through family in Feb 2017
travelled back to Nigeria in Aug 2017, got married
file i130 for wife and daughter in January 2018
Case transferred from CSC to NSC in July 2019
got RFE in Oct 2019.

next: waiting anxiously for the mail...

FYI, USPS doesn't forward goverment mails. Every greencard comes separately. You will be in big trouble with USPS mail forwarding for green cards.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

OP - you need to file form AR11 online for change of address for them. It’s the only way uscis will send mail to them at new address. They won’t get uscis mail otherwise.  As noted above, usps does not forward uscis mail. (It’s also by the way required for them to file change of address with uscis until they become citizens.)

Sometimes cards are produced at different times even for the same family. If daughter’s doesn’t go beyond sent for production for another couple of weeks then call them as sometimes cards get stuck in the system somehow (happened to me).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Interesting to learn such mails are not forwarded and glad that they all go separately

i used the new address with the new application anyways.

got RFE in Oct 2019.

Very clearly stated on uscis page:

https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange

Changing your address with the U.S. Postal Service will not change your address with USCIS. Please update your information with both USCIS and USPS.

Timeline

Thanks SusieQQQ for this information.

I just filed the AR11 now for them.

got RFE in Oct 2019.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.