Question about stimulus check and dependents (Split)

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, 8591 said:

I have never filed taxes in US because I have never lived here, I started living in US in 2020. Yes I have used non filers form. And did not mention them as dependants. So now I have problems?  

Ok, so you received the stimulus payment because using the non-filers form is a filing of 1040 for 2019. And you would have had to put 0 for income in 2019 because you weren't even here.

3 hours ago, 8591 said:

Ok thank you. Just need tour opinion will this stupid mistake do any harm in the future as a an LPR?

geowrian is right, I wouldn't lose sleep over this. It's highly unlikely you'd get in trouble or be asked to give the money back (but not impossible).

Even though the US Treasury is printing dollars day and night and giving money to billionaires, even dead people, I wouldn't go looking for more stimulus for your wife and kids by filling out the non-filers form again. :)

Good luck.

11 hours ago, 8591 said:

Thank you, by the way my wife called to IRS and they told her that you can file non filers and you will be approved or not. I do not anderstand one think, ok I made a mistake but no one there looked through my aplication.

For things like that, that are pushed out so quickly that there most likely wasn't a human behind your application, but a computer system that verified your info.

The system is assuming you are truthful because I'm sure at some point it makes you agree that everything you are typing is correct and to the best of your knowledge, and then it probably simply confirmed your SSN in the data base.

Since you filed as single, and your spouse and child don't have an SSN, the system wouldn't have known anything was incorrect because it wasn't given that information. It would have just agree'd that yes, you say you are single and yes that is an SSN of a single person with no depedants.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, 8591 said:

Ok I got it happened because of my mistake, so what to do? Tried to call IRS customer service, no result, do have any mail to reach them?

Don’t do anything. If this is like the 2008 stimulus which they rolled out with early payments, it will all be settled at tax time next year. The 2020 stimulus will be on the 2020 tax forms. Your wife and dependents will have SSNs and qualify as will you. In 2008 after doing a convoluted worksheet to determine If one qualified a total qualified for was calculated then came the line where you told if you had already received any money.  That’s where you will enter $1200 as already received. Then you subtract $1200 from the total your family qualifies for. For my family, in non-IRS language I expect my tax return to say—

Qualified  for- $2400

Payment already received-  $2400

Stimulus credit due- $0 (because I already got it)

From 2008 worksheet, the instruction asking if you already got an early payment.

1D666D42-1BDC-4B72-B1B5-E5C041FFAD2B.jpeg

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I forgot to say, your family will qualify if you don’t earn too much money in 2020. The good news is, even if your family  doesn’t qualify for a penny on the 2020 tax return because your income is too high, you won’t have to pay back what you already got. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.