Faithfully03

Quarantine in the Philippines

15 posts in this topic

My mom has been wanting to fly back home and because of covid19 we had to cancelled her flight in March. I see that there are flights available later this month, are they putting people in quarantine somewhere after flying from the US?

My mother in law is flying home in a week to the Philippines and from what we were told by the Philippine Embassy in the U.S. when she lands in Manilla the airport will take her temperature and ask her questions to see if she has any symptoms. If she passes then she will be allowed to travel to her home outside of Manilla to Santa Maria. We were also told that her son can pick her up at the airport and drive to and from their home by showing a flight itinerary. Her son also called the airport in Manilla and was told the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, s75h said:

Sure, I will do that but her flight was just cancelled because of the new restrictions on flights landing in Manilla. She won’t be able to get a new flight until May 21st flying with Korean Air.

No decisions regarding scheduled international commercial flights had been made.  The only international flights coming into NAIA are charters such as repatriation flights,  etc...  while the Korean air flight might still show as scheduled,  don't expect it to happen. 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 minutes ago, s75h said:

The csr from Korean Air told me the 21st was available. From what I have read commercial international flights are allowed to land on designated days for flights that are preapproved. The bad part is that her visa expires May 13th.

The additional problem is that no tourists are yet allowed in as all visas have been canceled.   I find it somewhat difficult to understand an airline flying a flight that is almost empty,  unless they are incentivized 

YMMV

Im assuming korean air is attempting to fill up as many seats as possible and could still cancel at the last minute if they dont do so. They have been booking seats for dates after the 20th for months so now that all these fights that were just canceled will help them fill more seats for after the 20th.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/2/2020 at 12:57 PM, s75h said:

My mother in law is flying home in a week to the Philippines and from what we were told by the Philippine Embassy in the U.S. when she lands in Manilla the airport will take her temperature and ask her questions to see if she has any symptoms. If she passes then she will be allowed to travel to her home outside of Manilla to Santa Maria. We were also told that her son can pick her up at the airport and drive to and from their home by showing a flight itinerary. Her son also called the airport in Manilla and was told the same thing.

I wanted to reply to this and to the first question... as of May 11, all incoming passengers are required to undergo the COVID test and quarantine in a government appointed facility for OFWs (paid for by the government) and in an accredited hotel in Metro Manila for non-OFWs (at own expense). Here's the announcement:

Adherence to the guidelines on Arriving passengers
Under the health protocols issued by the Inter-Agency-Task Force on COVID 19 which are currently in force, all passengers arriving in the Philippines are required to undergo COVID-19 RT-PCR test as well as quarantine procedures in approved facilities while awaiting the results of their tests. In line with the procedure, all air carriers are required to inform every passenger traveling to the Philippine of the said requirement and procedure. More specifically, passengers should be informed that payment of the cost of their accommodation in approved quarantine areas will be in accordance with the following: for returning OFWs. The cost of quarantine accommodations shall be shouldered by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) for land-based OFWs, and by the local manning agency and/or Maritime Industry Authorities for sea-based OFWs; for non-OFWs, namely Overseas Filipinos (OFs) returning home, they can choose from among the approved quarantine facilities at their own cost. Passengers will also be encouraged to fill out, prior to arrival in the airport, the Case Investigation Form, which can be downloaded at <http://ritm.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-19-Form-1.pdf>, in order to expedite airport procedures.
Likewise, all disembarking crew members shall undergo the same testing procedure, and observe quarantine protocols while awaiting their test results or departure, whichever comes first.
Edited by Broccoli Girl
add more details

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my mother-in-law finally made it back to Manila yesterday. She had the option of staying in a free location with the OFW’s but that option wasn’t very appealing considering she would have been in a tent in a crowded arena. She chose to pay her own way being quarenteened in a hotel room with two other women who are also waiting for the covid test results. She will be getting a free ride home but the other two live further from Manila and have to find their own transportation.

On the flight from Atlanta to Seoul she had her own row to sit or lay down in because there were very few on the flight.

12 minutes ago, s75h said:

Well, my mother-in-law finally made it back to Manila yesterday. She had the option of staying in a free location with the OFW’s but that option wasn’t very appealing considering she would have been in a tent in a crowded arena. She chose to pay her own way being quarenteened in a hotel room with two other women who are also waiting for the covid test results. She will be getting a free ride home but the other two live further from Manila and have to find their own transportation.

On the flight from Atlanta to Seoul she had her own row to sit or lay down in because there were very few on the flight.

Great News, I have made the USA to Seoul a couple times in the past very few people as well.

6 hours ago, s75h said:

Any update on your MIL? So did she share the payment for the room as well? My mom’s flight is twice again cancelled by PAL 🤦🏻‍♀️

3 hours ago, Faithfully03 said:

Any update on your MIL? So did she share the payment for the room as well? My mom’s flight is twice again cancelled by PAL 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yes, she is sharing the cost of the room with 2 other women and they order food to be delivered to them. We just found out that she tested negative so she will be going home in the morning to Bulacan. I'm assuming that the other 2 women must have tested negative too then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.